Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetchilli)
    Just wanted to say Merry Christmas to everyone! Have a good one! Eve.
    Likewise!

ReputationRep:
    Merry Christmas Guys !

ReputationRep:
    Merry Xmas guys, procrastination has led me back to TSR

Feel free to ask any questions about Glasgow (although I'm sure Lekky's doing a very fine job ).

Oh and you guys have made a great choice applying to Glasgow ^^

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest has the UKCAT cut off been released by Glasgow yet? I was going to apply their but opted against it, recently went to an MRCPS ceremony though as a guest, lovely university - wish I applied now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RectalExamination)
    Out of interest has the UKCAT cut off been released by Glasgow yet? I was going to apply their but opted against it, recently went to an MRCPS ceremony though as a guest, lovely university - wish I applied now
    its generally percieved to be 665 atm based on interview/rejections and what people have been told

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    its generally percieved to be 665 atm based on interview/rejections and what people have been told
    Hate to disagree but know of peeps with interviews who had 655. I have one with 660 also.

ReputationRep:

Hate to disagree but know of peeps with interviews who had 655. I have one with 660 also.
    Its a bit of a shame really, brilliant uni and I had 712.5 so in all likelihood would have been interviewed, just so many people suggested to me there was possible discrimination, positively towards scots, which is fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Its a bit of a shame really, brilliant uni and I had 712.5 so in all likelihood would have been interviewed, just so many people suggested to me there was possible discrimination, positively towards scots, which is fair enough.
    This was suggested to me too, and it's complete bull**** for any future reference!

ReputationRep:
    point accepted...

and well done on getting an interview....hopefully you'll get a place

ReputationRep:
    were you rejected or have you just not heard anything?

cos if you haven't heard anything, don't worry, my UKCAT is 725 and I've heard nothing either

ReputationRep:
    712?! And you feared not getting interview? It was 642 last year and I was optimistic with 665

ReputationRep:
    Shame indeed. I wonder if those who suggested that positive discrimination occurred actually applied and had an alterior motive of putting you off since your UKCAT was higher than theirs i.e. get rid of the very good competition. :eek:

I'm pretty sure that Lekky is right and it is complete bs - more likely that more Scots apply there as they know it, don't want to move away, want to avoid the higher fees in England etc.

Where else have you applied? Hopefully, you will get in to one of your choices. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Well i asked the dean dude about how many Scots and how many english get in, and he goes we accept more english and NI students than Scots ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    Well i asked the dean dude about how many Scots and how many english get in, and he goes we accept more english and NI students than Scots ..
    That's definitely true for our year. Think the irish outnumber the scots lol

ReputationRep:
    Shame indeed. I wonder if those who suggested that positive discrimination occurred actually applied and had an alterior motive of putting you off since your UKCAT was higher than theirs i.e. get rid of the very good competition. :eek:

I'm pretty sure that Lekky is right and it is complete bs - more likely that more Scots apply there as they know it, don't want to move away, want to avoid the higher fees in England etc.

Where else have you applied? Hopefully, you will get in to one of your choices. Best of luck!
    Yeah I guessed that too, im not saying they are racist but they would be more likely to accept a scot than myself (im a british egyptian ) which is fair enough. I didn't actually speak to any medical applicants about it, just tutors and other various people who all seemed to have the same feeling about it for some reason.

I applied to Newcastle (durham campus, have an interview on the 18th :woo:), Kings, Sheffield (getting quite nervy about UKCAT cut off, they are currently interviewing those with the 'highest scores, 725+' but that is not the cut off) and UEA. I definitely regretted not applying to Glasgow when I went to the graduation ceremony, beautiful university and would have gotten an interview, but there you are, im a re applicant and didn't really want to roll the dice although it was hardly that risky anyway

Good luck with your application

ReputationRep:
    were you rejected or have you just not heard anything?

cos if you haven't heard anything, don't worry, my UKCAT is 725 and I've heard nothing either
    No I didn't actually apply to Glasgow, was just enquiring out of interest what the cut off was because I was seriously considering applying there.

(Original post by lekky)
    This was suggested to me too, and it's complete bull**** for any future reference!
    Yeah I figured that eventually, shame I didn't apply but there you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    712?! And you feared not getting interview? It was 642 last year and I was optimistic with 665
    I wasn't worried about the cut off for interview but it was suggested to me that there was a risk of discrimination at interview, all a mistake on my part but there you are. Good luck with your application though

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't worried about the cut off for interview but it was suggested to me that there was a risk of discrimination at interview, all a mistake on my part but there you are. Good luck with your application though
    Oh i see. Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guessed that too, im not saying they are racist but they would be more likely to accept a scot than myself (im a british egyptian ) which is fair enough. I didn't actually speak to any medical applicants about it, just tutors and other various people who all seemed to have the same feeling about it for some reason.

I applied to Newcastle (durham campus, have an interview on the 18th :woo:), Kings, Sheffield (getting quite nervy about UKCAT cut off, they are currently interviewing those with the 'highest scores, 725+' but that is not the cut off) and UEA. I definitely regretted not applying to Glasgow when I went to the graduation ceremony, beautiful university and would have gotten an interview, but there you are, im a re applicant and didn't really want to roll the dice although it was hardly that risky anyway

Good luck with your application
    Best of luck for your interview at Newcastle. That was one of my choices but UKCAT is too low so expect a rejection for sure. Rejected by Dundee so just got Glasgow and awaiting Aberdeen. Glasgow is my first choice and if Aberdeen reject me it will be my only chance this year so better be good at the interview!

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck for your interview at Newcastle. That was one of my choices but UKCAT is too low so expect a rejection for sure. Rejected by Dundee so just got Glasgow and awaiting Aberdeen. Glasgow is my first choice and if Aberdeen reject me it will be my only chance this year so better be good at the interview!
    Well you only need one interview Just practice practice practice and hope for the best, good luck.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.