Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Glasgow Medicine Applicants 2011 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caponester)
    Right honestly, what do you guys think about applying with a UKCAT score of 650? I think I'm going to submit my application tomorrow.
    Well we know the risks :dontknow: It's above last year's cut-off. It's up to you really.

ReputationRep:
    im applying

and its my first choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgie Doll)
    Aww thanks! Couldn't really believe it when I read the results after the UKCAT :p:

And thank you so much! That's made my night Good luck with your application!
    haha ! Awesome =D ! Good luck although im sure you'll get an offer !

ReputationRep:
    Ok, lets keep this thread alive and kicking. I decided to apply to Glasgow in the end - probably worth the risk seeing as this may well be the last year my UKCAT score will be competitive for Glasgow. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Glasgow. Wouldn't say it's my first choice, but I'd still love to go there. Mainly because of the amazing gourmet burger joint a few hundred metres from the medical school... :p:

ReputationRep:

I have been here on numerous occasions. This is where students wait before exams begin. Not bad eh?

ReputationRep:

I have been here on numerous occasions. This is where students wait before exams begin. Not bad eh?

Very Hogwarts like ... I LIKE ! :borat:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, lets keep this thread alive and kicking. I decided to apply to Glasgow in the end - probably worth the risk seeing as this may well be the last year my UKCAT score will be competitive for Glasgow. :p:
    Brave, remember if you apply next cycle you will resit the UKCAT again

I have decided not to apply because of the UKCAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Brave, remember if you apply next cycle you will resit the UKCAT again

I have decided not to apply because of the UKCAT
    Have you submitted yet? It is good that more people with scores like yourself are not applying! Good for me anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huy)
    I'm applying to Glasgow. Wouldn't say it's my first choice, but I'd still love to go there. Mainly because of the amazing gourmet burger joint a few hundred metres from the medical school... :p:
    the irony lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Phoned Glasgow about type of reference required for me as can only get academic one (not comments about voluntary work etc) and was told that they do not score PS or reference but rather they use them as a basis for questions for interview (if you get one).

ReputationRep:
    Have you submitted yet? It is good that more people with scores like yourself are not applying! Good for me anyway!
    No, not yet - it's a probably not from me :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetchilli)
    Phoned Glasgow about type of reference required for me as can only get academic one (not comments about voluntary work etc) and was told that they do not score PS or reference but rather they use them as a basis for questions for interview (if you get one).
    So it is purely academia and UKCAT. The process must be pretty simple then.

Applications sent via ucas (~2500) -> Candidates meeting academic entry requirements progress to next stage (~2200) -> Candidates ranked according to UKCAT and top 800 interviewed?

So basically, if you make it to interviews then you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting a place. These are acceptable odds. I just cannot help but feel that I have taken a huge risk by applying here :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, it's a huge risk wherever you apply. You were above last years cut off ~ therefore stand a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Good for you!

ReputationRep:
    So it is purely academia and UKCAT. The process must be pretty simple then.

Applications sent via ucas (~2500) -> Candidates meeting academic entry requirements progress to next stage (~2200) -> Candidates ranked according to UKCAT and top 800 interviewed?

So basically, if you make it to interviews then you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting a place. These are acceptable odds. I just cannot help but feel that I have taken a huge risk by applying here :eek3:
    Yep, basically on academics and your UKCAT to get to interview and then its up to you. 1 in 4 pretty good odds methinks given some of the chances at other unis. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Got 670 so will apply to glasgow... hopefully the cut off will be around 660 .. Does anyone know when the cut off for 2011 will be released ?

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to Glasgow! Probably going to be my second choice but will have to wait and see. I got a total of 2750 in UKCAT average of 687.5 so that should be okay hopefully. Not sure if Glasgow will officially release what the UKCAT cut off score will be. Too late now having already sent off my ucas. Glasgow interviews can be pretty tough I hear. excellent....

ReputationRep:
    How do Glasgow use GCSE's, Anyone know?

Is it just a case of meeting the minimum requirements (B in Eng Lang and Maths) or do they place more emphasis on them?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    Got 670 so will apply to glasgow... hopefully the cut off will be around 660 .. Does anyone know when the cut off for 2011 will be released ?
    I'm hoping that the cut-off will be less than 660 given that is my score! :eek3:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.