Turn on thread page Beta

Glasgow Medicine Applicants 2011 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huy)
    Not that I doubt you, but where did you get this "800 top UKCAT are ranked and interviewed" information? I'd like a look if you could point me in its direction.
    I phoned up Coleen herself and asked her about the UKCAT.
    I also have it in my email inbox.
    So, basically, from Glasgow Medicine Admissions themselves!

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow's my first choice Applying as a graduate. Hopefully they'll look favourably upon me as I will have already spent 4 years at Glasgow Uni

Glasgow uni really is beautiful, I love it!

ReputationRep:
    hi all i would like to ask if anyone has any idea how the interviews for glasgow go. for example do they like to give you stress interviews, or do they ask very 'academic' stuff etc. and also is it a panel or a one-to-one, with a mixture of university staff and hospital doctors, or uni admission officers only etc.

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying. Sent my application on Monday and haven't had my confirmation they recieved it yet :/
    Anyone else...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodfatboy)
    hi all i would like to ask if anyone has any idea how the interviews for glasgow go. for example do they like to give you stress interviews, or do they ask very 'academic' stuff etc. and also is it a panel or a one-to-one, with a mixture of university staff and hospital doctors, or uni admission officers only etc.

thanks!
    They tend to ask questions in order to determine your commitment to medicine. They will ask you about current happening in the medical field that you're to talk about and give opinions on but not any "academic" questions. Interviewers can be quite a few different people including hospital doctors etc

ReputationRep:
    Their PBL building is beautiful) Still no confirmation e-mail or letter as of yet... getting nervous my application has mysteriously been destroyed for being English :P I have a decent UKCAT score, so does that mean I will be interviewed sooner rather than later? ie: in November / December?

Good luck everyone!! And yes they said they will interview the top 800 (approx) applicants who meet the academic requirements and ranked on their UKCAT total score.

I also quite like their accent.

ReputationRep:
    To all those who are complaining about the way Glasgow are using the UKCAT results, I feel you're missing the point of UKCAT at the moment...it's a TRIAL. If all universities used the UKCAT in the same way then there would be no way for them to ascertain how effective it is at separating the milk from the cream.
    I also think (from a slightly more biased point of view!) that even if the UKCAT becomes mandatory for ALL Med Schools, then different Universities should still use it in different ways. As a Graduate applicant this year, with a 2:1 in a BioMed degree and 740 UKCAT avg. I would have assumed that I would be a fairly strong candidate, yet because I screwed up my Scottish Highers (BBBCCC) when I was at High School (because I was an immature little git at 16/17) many Med Schools won't even look at me (Birmingham, Edinburgh, Leeds etc), despite the fact that High School for me was 10 years ago and those results have absolutely no bearing on the person I am today. So I for one am glad that the likes of Glasgow and Newcastle value the UKCAT so highly as it gives me, and others like me, a slightly more level playing field in terms of getting in to Med School.

Good luck to all who have applied this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bryan.connell)
    To all those who are complaining about the way Glasgow are using the UKCAT results, I feel you're missing the point of UKCAT at the moment...it's a TRIAL. If all universities used the UKCAT in the same way then there would be no way for them to ascertain how effective it is at separating the milk from the cream.
    I also think (from a slightly more biased point of view!) that even if the UKCAT becomes mandatory for ALL Med Schools, then different Universities should still use it in different ways. As a Graduate applicant this year, with a 2:1 in a BioMed degree and 740 UKCAT avg. I would have assumed that I would be a fairly strong candidate, yet because I screwed up my Scottish Highers (BBBCCC) when I was at High School (because I was an immature little git at 16/17) many Med Schools won't even look at me (Birmingham, Edinburgh, Leeds etc), despite the fact that High School for me was 10 years ago and those results have absolutely no bearing on the person I am today. So I for one am glad that the likes of Glasgow and Newcastle value the UKCAT so highly as it gives me, and others like me, a slightly more level playing field in terms of getting in to Med School.

Good point there! Lots of people are late developers and im glad your getting a chance now.
    Best of luck to you

ReputationRep:

It's a trial :confused: If it was a trial, then Glasgow would not have such a strict/high cut-off. Even if they had a different admissions system but still used the UKCAT, they could still use the UKCAT to ascertain how effective it is.
    And your are obviously biased in your opinion of how the UKCAT is used because you obtained a high UKCAT score. if you had scored 600, let's say. I am quite sure you wouldn't have written what you have above!
    The UKCAT can ruin things for some people, especially those who work so hard all year or for a few years to obtain top grades, only to find out they can't apply to the schools they had wanted to before all because of this stupid test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    It's a trial :confused: If it was a trial, then Glasgow would not have such a strict/high cut-off. Even if they had a different admissions system but still used the UKCAT, they could still use the UKCAT to ascertain how effective it is.
    And your are obviously biased in your opinion of how the UKCAT is used because you obtained a high UKCAT score. if you had scored 600, let's say. I am quite sure you wouldn't have written what you have above!
    The UKCAT can ruin things for some people, especially those who work so hard all year or for a few years to obtain top grades, only to find out they can't apply to the schools they had wanted to before all because of this stupid test
    :ditto:

UKCAT is a load of crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haleem)
    :ditto:

UKCAT is a load of crap
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    I don't mind the use of an admissions test though!! I just don't think that the UKCAT is a very good one tbh

ReputationRep:

I assume you didn't get a great UKCAT score? If this is the case and it has stopped you applying to your first choice Uni's then I know how you feel: Birmingham was my first choice as my fiancee lives there, but as I stated above I would be completely wasting my application by applying there.....which sucks for me- but it's far more important for me and her that I get in SOMEWHERE, rather than focussing on the negative. But my point was that different Uni's using different criteria can only be a good thing as it means that otherwise exceptional applicants who don't cross some Uni's boxes for some silly reason (be that UKCAT, exams they sat 10 years ago, or whatever) can still get in somewhere else and fulfill their dream of becoming a doctor. The downside of this is that certain people, like the 2 of us, will be unable to apply for our first choice schools. I hope your application goes well for wherever you have ended up applying for.

And I did already say I was slightly biased in what I wrote!

ReputationRep:
    The reason Glasgow use the UKCAT in such a way is because otherwise it is too difficult to distinguish between the many applications sent to them all who have obtained high grades and have worked hard through school. UKCAT scores, I'm sure makes it easier for them to cut down the numbers to a more manageable level for the university. From the point of view of the university it must be pretty tough to choose people to interview from such an extensive list. Harsh though it may seem, it seems it is in the best interests of the university...

ReputationRep:
    As a Graduate applicant this year, with a 2:1 in a BioMed degree and 740 UKCAT avg. I would have assumed that I would be a fairly strong candidate, yet because I screwed up my Scottish Highers (BBBCCC) when I was at High School (because I was an immature little git at 16/17) many Med Schools won't even look at me (Birmingham, Edinburgh, Leeds etc), despite the fact that High School for me was 10 years ago and those results have absolutely no bearing on the person I am today. So I for one am glad that the likes of Glasgow and Newcastle value the UKCAT so highly as it gives me, and others like me, a slightly more level playing field in terms of getting in to Med School.

Quite agree with you. I messed up my highers 22 years ago and yet Edinburgh would still not accept me despite having 2 degrees and a postgrad diploma and soon to be 3rd degree so I'm glad for the chance that UKCAT has given me with specific unis. I hope my 660 is enough but we shall see. Would be much easier with 740 - great score btw. Good luck with your application. Might see you there with any luck! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigDirty)
    I'm applying. Sent my application on Monday and haven't had my confirmation they recieved it yet :/
    Anyone else...?
    still waiting as well

ReputationRep:
    I think there cut off is pretty reasonable in comparison to sheffield where 680 doesn't even get you an interview,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    still waiting as well
    check your junk-mail!
    thats where i found mine
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just received my acknowledgement letter. LOL My heart nearly exploded when I saw the receipt =P hehe. =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueee:))
    check your junk-mail!
    thats where i found mine
    GOT IT was in my junk like you said

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.