Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestar101)
    Really. I might look into that. Are you sure.
    yeah, i'm fairly sure, and tbh, even if i'm wrong, then it is definately something worth looking into. i liked the look of it. i looked on the finance, and their idea of international seemed to be outside of europe, canada, america, aus, thailand etc..

ReputationRep:
    Even if you do get a place in an European Uni, you will have to learn that language very quickly or else how will u do ur clinicals?

ReputationRep:
    I'm now seriously considering applying abroad. I thought about it briefly at the beginning of September, then again after the tuition fee rise.

I'm bilingual + taking another language at A level, so I don't think I would find learning another language too difficult (though apparently Slavic languages are very hard to learn!), and besides the course is in English, with exception of clinical

thing is, I've heard both horror stories and wonderful stories about Prague - so for now, i'm undecided.

ooh, can someone give me a link to the Malta medical school admission? I can't seem to find it :confused:

arghhhh.

damm you glasgow, this is all your fault!!

jk. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow offer received on Monday late evening so pleased Fought all the way up to Scotland from Devon in the snow for a 15 minute interview.. Well if obviously paid off Sorry to hear about peoples rejections.. Hopefully you've got offers etc from other places. x

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please also give me a link to the malta medicine school and their entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    its this here

http://www.um.edu.mt/onlineapplications

ReputationRep:
    Rejection received in the middle of the night

To those discussing pharmacy as an alternative, I am a pharmacist working in a hospital, it just made me want to be a doctor even more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel6286)
    Rejection received in the middle of the night

To those discussing pharmacy as an alternative, I am a pharmacist working in a hospital, it just made me want to be a doctor even more!
    Why is that? I have noticed that a lot of pharmacy graduates want to do medicine.

Does hospital pharmacy pay well in comparison to community pharmacy?

ReputationRep:
    Comiserations to everyone who got rejected, genuinely feel gutted for you.
    I guess you really can't tell how it will go... I thought my interview was awful. :/

Keep trying, guys, obstacles like this will only make the end reward feel so much better when you get there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot guys, the support here is great, if not better than most people i know for real, since you guys can empathise with the situation a lot better, but also a lot of people in my position as well who deserves it just as much if not more, they have my support and if you're in this position where you could apply in the first place then there's a lot open to you, especially Harbour, it'll take time and perhaps leaving comfort zones but i really think any of us can make it! whether medicine or something else. At first i was like totally dizzy, became numb emotionally, couple of tears but i know it's not the end i'm still 18, so i just need to get it together and see which options are better, definitely looking at european schools though prague is out of the question for me, i looked it up last night and the language seems to be an issue once clinicals begin (makes a little bit too risky as i have nothing to fall back on yet), but i'm looking at other options, like get a Meng in mechanical engineering just to have something to fall back up and possibly improve my application along the way so i can apply for medicine again at 22, or something that allows me to apply for post grad but if i were to be rejected again i'd be able to move on happily, cos how you feel is really what matters at the end of the day i think, if you're happy then

@Mother 2, thanks a lot , not sure why everyone thinks this much of me but it means a lot :cry:

I tried to get into leeds twice but didn't happen. My grades were AABB which probably doesn't help much but i was 6 UMS from an A* in physics and 4UMS away in biology. I'm looking at a degree in a satisfactory career before i re-apply for medicine in 3/4 yrs so i have a safety net, also looking into european schools atm, i'll get all my options together then see what comes together i guess, but it's only a minor setback, i'm no longer disheartened I really appreciate your concern. I'll be writing a lot of mails and making a lot of calls for the next few weeks.

(Original post by HMJ)
    This too shall pass, dmz

My interview (I thought) went great but I didn't get in either. But I have other offers so I'm def not in the same situation as you. But tbh, when I saw my decision I was like okay I don't mind being rejected I just hope dmz got in.

But you should look into Charles University in Prague. It's great for Medicine, you can still apply. Prague is absolutely beautiful, and they might even have some financial aid stuff. I'm not a 100% sure but you could always call and ask etc. Do some research. Oh and it is in English not Czech (is that a language?)

There is also a university in Budapest that does medicine in English. I think Semmelweis.

Hope this helps. Personally, I know someone in the Prague school and they love it and I've been to Prague myself. WAY BETTER THAN GLASGOW. Yup. Yup.
    (Original post by AuldYin)
    So sorry to read about the bad nrws this morning, esp harbour seal and dmz. Don't give up guys. Rebecca I hope will reapply once higher grades are through and dmz, do the grad route you can have loads of fun at uni being an undergrad twice.
    (Original post by Mother2)
    DMZ,
    I am a real lurker here as I'm not a student at all but the mother of a medicine applicant. I started reading the boards to get a bit more information and got hooked. She was lucky enough to get an early offer from Leeds (conditional as she's not taken A levels yet), rejected apart from that but I now know that you only need one offer.

I got to 'know' some of you and have followed your progress since.

I am so sorry you haven't got an offer and for what it's worth you are just the kind of person I would hope to be treated by when I'm ill.

Here is what I would do in your situation (or anyone in the same situation).

1. Don't give up yet. You'll have done a fair bit of research I'm sure so contact the admissions tutors of universities you might apply to for 2012 entry and ask for an honest assessment of your chances. You may need to be persistent about this - of course always be ultra-polite - and perhaps write first. You'll need to cultivate their admin support people too I guess. That will give you an idea about whether or not trying again is viable.

2. Research universities in Ireland and Europe that teach in English and sources of funding. This may mean a big loan - but is worth it.

3. If this fails then go to university to study biomedical sciences or similar (not sure if you've got an insurance offer), work hard to get a first or high 2.1 and apply as a graduate.

Good luck - I can imagine how devastated you are this morning but it's not over yet.
    (Original post by sweetchilli)
    Sorry mate. Nah, it never does but things always happen for a reason and also are usually right for the person to learn something crucial. Take a couple of days to chill out and see what you come up with? Not going to just re-apply next year?
    Yer :yep: it'll be alright, grades are going up next yr and i've missed 2 extra grades with 10UMS but you got in at 44, that's inspiration for me to try for as long as it takes - Congratz with your offer, you're an inspiration to a lot

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=dmz;30370028]Thanks a lot guys, the support here is great, if not better than most people i know for real, since you guys can empathise with the situation a lot better, but also a lot of people in my position as well who deserves it just as much if not more, they have my support and if you're in this position where you could apply in the first place then there's a lot open to you, especially Harbour, it'll take time and perhaps leaving comfort zones but i really think any of us can make it! whether medicine or something else. At first i was like totally dizzy, became numb emotionally, couple of tears but i know it's not the end i'm still 18, so i just need to get it together and see which options are better, definitely looking at european schools though prague is out of the question for me, i looked it up last night and the language seems to be an issue once clinicals begin (makes a little bit too risky as i have nothing to fall back on yet), but i'm looking at other options, like get a Meng in mechanical engineering just to have something to fall back up and possibly improve my application along the way so i can apply for medicine again at 22, or something that allows me to apply for post grad but if i were to be rejected again i'd be able to move on happily, cos how you feel is really what matters at the end of the day i think, if you're happy then

@Mother 2, thanks a lot , not sure why everyone thinks this much of me but it means a lot :cry:

I tried to get into leeds twice but didn't happen. My grades were AABB which probably doesn't help much but i was 6 UMS from an A* in physics and 4UMS away in biology. I'm looking at a degree in a satisfactory career before i re-apply for medicine in 3/4 yrs so i have a safety net, also looking into european schools atm, i'll get all my options together then see what comes together i guess, but it's only a minor setback, i'm no longer disheartened I really appreciate your concern. I'll be writing a lot of mails and making a lot of calls for the next few weeks.

You're so positive which is great and a real tribute to your staying power after such a disappointment. I think the worst thing about this admissions process is all the awful waiting - hoping for an interview, hope slowly going, hoping after an interview, waiting waiting etc etc. Quite cruel in its own way.

I don't subscribe to the 'everything happens for a reason' school, but being older (loads older!) I do know that things can work out unexpectedly and it may well be that you love an alternative career like engineering just as much as you thought you'd love medicine.

And if all else fails remember that most people my age (including doctors) always say they'd advise young people not to go into their profession. So nothing is as wonderful as you hope.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll have a great future career in whatever you do.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, can anybody link me to the pros and cons of the medical schools??i can't find it anywhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    Thanks a lot guys, the support here is great, if not better than most people i know for real, since you guys can empathise with the situation a lot better, but also a lot of people in my position as well who deserves it just as much if not more, they have my support and if you're in this position where you could apply in the first place then there's a lot open to you, especially Harbour, it'll take time and perhaps leaving comfort zones but i really think any of us can make it! whether medicine or something else. At first i was like totally dizzy, became numb emotionally, couple of tears but i know it's not the end i'm still 18, so i just need to get it together and see which options are better, definitely looking at european schools though prague is out of the question for me, i looked it up last night and the language seems to be an issue once clinicals begin (makes a little bit too risky as i have nothing to fall back on yet), but i'm looking at other options, like get a Meng in mechanical engineering just to have something to fall back up and possibly improve my application along the way so i can apply for medicine again at 22, or something that allows me to apply for post grad but if i were to be rejected again i'd be able to move on happily, cos how you feel is really what matters at the end of the day i think, if you're happy then

Yer :yep: it'll be alright, grades are going up next yr and i've missed 2 extra grades with 10UMS but you got in at 44, that's inspiration for me to try for as long as it takes - Congratz with your offer, you're an inspiration to a lot
    dude, im gutted for you

ring around, if you can still reapply with the grades then go for that?

otherwise, what about retaking to get AAA. You still would have done it in three years, and people still get in this way!!

ReputationRep:
    hey erm something random . for those of you who attend theuniversity of glasgow how is it?is glasgow in general a nice city to live ?is it fun or is it just too cold?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Mother2;30370864]
    (Original post by dmz)

You're so positive which is great and a real tribute to your staying power after such a disappointment. I think the worst thing about this admissions process is all the awful waiting - hoping for an interview, hope slowly going, hoping after an interview, waiting waiting etc etc. Quite cruel in its own way.

I don't subscribe to the 'everything happens for a reason' school, but being older (loads older!) I do know that things can work out unexpectedly and it may well be that you love an alternative career like engineering just as much as you thought you'd love medicine.

And if all else fails remember that most people my age (including doctors) always say they'd advise young people not to go into their profession. So nothing is as wonderful as you hope.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll have a great future career in whatever you do.
    Haha thanks, didn't really think i had a lot of other options, tried to prepare myself just in case . yer, my dad's been pretty much saying the same thing, especially since we are the first to apply, one of the few to have to go to interviews and still we wait and wait only for majority of us to be rejected by mere margins.

Yer, likewise, i don't believe in the not meant to be, but if something does happen, it could possibly lead to better things, (from my job as an HCA, i enjoy meeting and getting to know people so i don't think engineering could ever measure up in that sense, but i'll get everything together and decide from there,

That's also true, because we are all so engulfed with the process it becomes a bit hard to see the possible negatives of the career (i used this to cheer myself up a little though i stil want medicine more than anything else), and nothing is ever the same when thinking about it as opposed to actually doing it (it could be better or worse, rarely ever as imagined), but i'm 18, life can bring it on lol

Thanks you sound like a pretty awesome mum

ReputationRep:
    :confused:[QUOTE=dmz;30371777]

Haha thanks, didn't really think i had a lot of other options, tried to prepare myself just in case . yer, my dad's been pretty much saying the same thing, especially since we are the first to apply, one of the few to have to go to interviews and still we wait and wait only for majority of us to be rejected by mere margins.

Yer, likewise, i don't believe in the not meant to be, but if something does happen, it could possibly lead to better things, (from my job as an HCA, i enjoy meeting and getting to know people so i don't think engineering could ever measure up in that sense, but i'll get everything together and decide from there,

That's also true, because we are all so engulfed with the process it becomes a bit hard to see the possible negatives of the career (i used this to cheer myself up a little though i stil want medicine more than anything else), and nothing is ever the same when thinking about it as opposed to actually doing it (it could be better or worse, rarely ever as imagined), but i'm 18, life can bring it on lol

Thanks you sound like a pretty awesome mum
    Well thanks - if only my daughter thought the same - but I'm guessing that teenage girls don't often think their mums are anything but embarrassing. Great to hear you sounding more cheerful.

PS Ignore the sad face at the top - I'm rubbish on internet forums - not enough practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lunaboo)
    hey erm something random . for those of you who attend theuniversity of glasgow how is it?is glasgow in general a nice city to live ?is it fun or is it just too cold?
    It's a bloody brilliant city. though, like I said to someone else, beware of some of the locals

Seriously though, whilst the weather can be rotten sometimes, the weather isn't all that bad and there is plenty of stuff going on all over the city. It's well known for it's music

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestar101)
    Why is that? I have noticed that a lot of pharmacy graduates want to do medicine.

Does hospital pharmacy pay well in comparison to community pharmacy?
    Well I spend my time chasing FY1's with cardex's getting them to fix things and I couldn't help but think I could do a better job!!

Hospital pharmacy pays considerably less than community pharmacy AT FIRST but you end up on roughly the same salary. Hospital pharmacy has other benefits over community including better holidays, better hours and better sick/maternity/paternity pay and better pension (though pension is under review at the moment) if you want to think long-term!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harbour Seal)
    It's a bloody brilliant city. though, like I said to someone else, beware of some of the locals

Seriously though, whilst the weather can be rotten sometimes, the weather isn't all that bad and there is plenty of stuff going on all over the city. It's well known for it's music
    WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS?!

Well thanks - if only my daughter thought the same - but I'm guessing that teenage girls don't often think their mums are anything but embarrassing. Great to hear you sounding more cheerful.

PS Ignore the sad face at the top - I'm rubbish on internet forums - not enough practice.
    Haha, mothers are always going to be embarassing when they're yours, girl's are still scared of my mum :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    Hey cheeky...I'm not quite 44 yet... :eek: T

Thank you for your lovely comments!

The maturity you have shown in accepting your rejection is admirable and way beyond your years. I really hope you get into a good degree programme that you enjoy and can use as a springboard to getting into medical school and realise you dream of becoming a doctor!

All the very best to you dmz!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.