Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    oh hi there TSR!

OK basically I used to be quite a keen bicycle ridist (or "cyclist" as apparently normal people say) when I was younger, until I got into running and neglected cycling for a while. In the last year or so though I had started doing more cycling again and enjoying it, UNTIL about a month ago I crashed my bike quite epically into a car (erm a stationary car, that is :o:!) and ended up breaking a rib and mangling my bike a bit.

I personally think that the bike is probably still OK but my dad disagrees and has basically put the fear of God into me that if I even perch myself on the saddle for a second the whole thing will collapse into a thousand pieces, SO I guess I am now in the market for a NEW BIKE!

I have no idea what to get though. I would like to spend somewhere in the region of £200ish (give or take, preferably take!). I will be using it both on and off road so as far as I'm aware I should get a hybrid bike (I may have misunderstood this though!)? My old bike was circa 8 years old and bought for me by my parents when I was 10 haha, so I don't have much experience in this field.

THANKS IN ADVANCE for any help/suggestions re: type/brand/etc.!

ReputationRep:
    How often are you going to be using it? For training at all or just to get from A to B?

ReputationRep:
    it really depends on what you want to use it for..
    do you want a
    road bike?
    city bike?
    cross country?
    mountain bike?
    downhill (bike)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawshank)
    How often are you going to be using it? For training at all or just to get from A to B?
    Aahh, sorry, I always forget to mention the important stuff! :o: For training mainly, although not DRAMATIC mileage.

(Original post by lubus)
    it really depends on what you want to use it for..
    do you want a
    road bike?
    city bike?
    cross country?
    mountain bike?
    downhill (bike)?
    That's the problem, I don't really know :o: I want to use it for fitness purposes and I'll be riding it a bit on roads but mainly over field, up/down hills, etc. I am not knowledgeable in this area lol, I have no idea what kind of bike to get!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by runningisfunning)
    oh hi there TSR!

OK basically I used to be quite a keen bicycle ridist (or "cyclist" as apparently normal people say) when I was younger, until I got into running and neglected cycling for a while. In the last year or so though I had started doing more cycling again and enjoying it, UNTIL about a month ago I crashed my bike quite epically into a car (erm a stationary car, that is :o:!) and ended up breaking a rib and mangling my bike a bit.

I personally think that the bike is probably still OK but my dad disagrees and has basically put the fear of God into me that if I even perch myself on the saddle for a second the whole thing will collapse into a thousand pieces, SO I guess I am now in the market for a NEW BIKE!

I have no idea what to get though. I would like to spend somewhere in the region of £200ish (give or take, preferably take!). I will be using it both on and off road so as far as I'm aware I should get a hybrid bike (I may have misunderstood this though!)? My old bike was circa 8 years old and bought for me by my parents when I was 10 haha, so I don't have much experience in this field.

THANKS IN ADVANCE for any help/suggestions re: type/brand/etc.!

Lol at the crash with the parked car. Sounds like you came of second best eh?

If you're getting a road bike then for £200 it might be best to look for a decent second hand bike, cos I think the base models start at around £400-ish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainthegreat)

If you're getting a road bike then for £200 it might be best to look for a decent second hand bike, cos I think the base models start at around £400-ish.
    ^ This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainthegreat)

haha yes it was highly embarrassing, especially as the man who owned the car came out of his house and started having a go at me and I was like "ermmmm hello, spouting blood here!!!" :eek:

Heh, maybe I was being a bit hopeful with the £200. I was thinking of getting a hybrid bike (because I will probably be using it more off-road than on) although it has since transpired that my old bike is actually a mountain bike.

This is the bike shop near my house... if you have a minute, do any of the ladies hybrid bikes around the £300-£350 mark look decent to you:

http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?c=3796

(I mean obviously you get what you pay for, but are cheaper bikes really THAT terrible?)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by runningisfunning)
    haha yes it was highly embarrassing, especially as the man who owned the car came out of his house and started having a go at me and I was like "ermmmm hello, spouting blood here!!!" :eek:

Heh, maybe I was being a bit hopeful with the £200. I was thinking of getting a hybrid bike (because I will probably be using it more off-road than on) although it has since transpired that my old bike is actually a mountain bike.

This is the bike shop near my house... if you have a minute, do any of the ladies hybrid bikes around the £300-£350 mark look decent to you:

http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?c=3796

(I mean obviously you get what you pay for, but are cheaper bikes really THAT terrible?)

Thanks

Sounds nasty. I've crashed into a parked car before, but then I was about 8 at the time

How much off-road do you do, because it might be worth sticking with the mountain bike if you do your training off road. Not sure the hybrid bikes will be up to that much off road training tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Surely it's worth gambling £20 or so, on taking the old bike to a good bike shop and getting it checked and serviced, because there's a good chance it'll still be OK?
    I crashed one bike and it was a near write-off, but I chucked another one down the road and a little tap with a hammer sorted it all out.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.