Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it silly to apply to a few high standard sixth forms/colleges? watch

ReputationRep:
    Helllor!
    My question is - is it silly for me to apply to 3 or 4 high-standard sixth forms/colleges? As I've been told by some people in the year above me who are currently undertaking A-Levels that I should really just pick one good college (a first choice) and then one or two backup choices. Is this the best thing to do? Because there's 3 or 4 colleges that I would really like to apply for, so that I can wait a little longer to make my decision depending on which ones I get offers from...

For anyone who lives in the Birmingham area, or wishes to have a little look, the 3 'top-achieving' institutions that I'm interested in are:

King Edward Five Ways Sixth Form
    King Edward College Stourbridge
    Bishop Vesey's Sixth Form

If you're not aware, as I'm sure most of TSR won't be as you don't all live in Birmingham, all three of these colleges/sixth forms achieve an average score of over 1000 points per student, which I am led to believe is pretty good!

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    Apply To As Many As You Want And Possibly Can.

ReputationRep:
    Apply for as many as you want. You can make your final decision later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRobbins)
    Helllor!
    My question is - is it silly for me to apply to 3 or 4 high-standard sixth forms/colleges? As I've been told by some people in the year above me who are currently undertaking A-Levels that I should really just pick one good college (a first choice) and then one or two backup choices. Is this the best thing to do? Because there's 3 or 4 colleges that I would really like to apply for, so that I can wait a little longer to make my decision depending on which ones I get offers from...

For anyone who lives in the Birmingham area, or wishes to have a little look, the 3 'top-achieving' institutions that I'm interested in are:

King Edward Five Ways Sixth Form
    King Edward College Stourbridge
    Bishop Vesey's Sixth Form

If you're not aware, as I'm sure most of TSR won't be as you don't all live in Birmingham, all three of these colleges/sixth forms achieve an average score of over 1000 points per student, which I am led to believe is pretty good!

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks guys.
    Jumani

as there is no limit on the number of 6th forms you can apply to, you can apply to as many high standard 6th forms as you like, just make sure you have a backup option

ReputationRep:
    Do it and do so now. Check up which ones you want too because the top ones stop taking applicants around November, some earlier. Personally take it from me, I didn't apply to any high standard ones and found out that they all stopped taking applications around January, and regret it quite a lot. Apply to as many as you realistically can (as in attending entrance exams, interviews).

ReputationRep:
    Why not? I appiled for 3 colleges during year 11.

New College, Swindon
    Cirencester College
    Swindon College.

I got into New College, Swindon.

As long as you have a backup plan, then it's all cool.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Apply to as many as you want.
    Theres no limit- its a good idea.
    I applied to 5 or 6- was accepted by only one because of distance so you need to apply to as many as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    I'm from birmingham aswell and applying to two of those grammar sixth forms you've listed. I don't think it's silly to apply at all because if you're a high achieving and achieve those grades you've been predicted then there's no reason why you shouldn't go to a sixth form with people of your intellectual ability. My neighbour who arranged my work experience went to Bishop Vesey's sixth form and is a partner within a law firm now, and he told me that's one you should really apply for. I suggest you apply to back up colleges though, with a range of different a levels/ courses in case you change your mind when it comes round to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonjourholly)
    Hiya,
    I'm from birmingham aswell and applying to two of those grammar sixth forms you've listed. I don't think it's silly to apply at all because if you're a high achieving and achieve those grades you've been predicted then there's no reason why you shouldn't go to a sixth form with people of your intellectual ability. My neighbour who arranged my work experience went to Bishop Vesey's sixth form and is a partner within a law firm now, and he told me that's one you should really apply for. I suggest you apply to back up colleges though, with a range of different a levels/ courses in case you change your mind when it comes round to it
    Hellloo
    Thanks for your reply.
    Ace, Five Ways and Vesey's I take it? I'm currently completing my Vesey's application and waiting until the Five Ways open evening to get their application. I've decided to apply to as many as I can anyway, and those two sure look good, however BV is a fair way away from where I live so it would be an hour or so's commute each morning. Which part of Brum are you from?

ReputationRep:
    No problem.
    And yeah, them two i'm definitely applying for, but i doubt i'll make it. BV would be far away from me aswell, i'd have to take a half hour train journey but I suppose it'll be worth it. I live near the queen elizabeth hospital in Selly Oak, yourself? Good luck with your applications, i'm so stuck on mine :l

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you'll at least get asked to interview, you're predicted grades look ace ditto, i'd have to get a bus to town and then a train from there :/ Ahh nice, I live around the Harborne sort of area. Cheers, I've written my statement and everything so just waiting for my Assistant Head to fill in my reference. What you thinking of taking?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I hope so. Just gotta' actually revise, which is so hard :l. I live in harborne aswell haha, but loads of people don't know where it is so i just say by the QE and you can get the train from near the Q.E/ Uni which would be easier. Woah, you've got really far, i've only looked only and spoke to a few people. I'm thinking Maths, English Lit, History and French or a Science... kinda' stuck tbh, you?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I hope so. Just gotta' actually revise, which is so hard :l. I live in harborne aswell haha, but loads of people don't know where it is so i just say by the QE and you can get the train from near the Q.E/ Uni which would be easier. Woah, you've got really far, i've only looked only and spoke to a few people. I'm thinking Maths, English Lit, History and French or a Science... kinda' stuck tbh, you?
    Tell me about it! Oh right nice, I'm more Oldbury than Harborne, it's borderline. We were encouraged by our school to get started on it so I did mine early, apparently some colleges look favourably upon people who hand in applications soon after the opening date; not sure if that's true but either way I'd rather just send them all off as soon as possible so I can concentrate on my exams. Aha similar to me, I'm doing English Lit, History, Maths and Economics. I want to go into Law but apparently top universities look down on A Level Law as it's seen as 'soft', plus it's not necessary for the LLB and BA Law degrees. Well you've already got a science with Maths, so you're fine in that respect as you're showing the unis that you have breadth in your skills. A language is a safe bet if you're good enough at it, as I understand they get pretty tough at A Level. Ace subject choices though! Not that I'm biast or anything aha. Any careers in mind?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I need to start applying but my school is really unhelpful and just keeps pushing me to stay on at their sixth form and every time I mention a different one they’re like listing disadvantages so I’m kind of having to do it all by myself. At least your school is actually pushing you to get somewhere! Same, I’ve got my maths and English resits in November so I need to get it over with. LOL, you’re practically doing the same as me in everything, including the Law at Uni. I really want to be a barrister. I don’t know if I’m good at language, but I kinda’ seem to pull it off on the day and you can do French with Law at Uni so might be a bit of an advantage. I was gonna do Law at A-Level but what you said is right, it’s not needed and kinda’ seen of a waste. What do you want to do within Law?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I need to start applying but my school is really unhelpful and just keeps pushing me to stay on at their sixth form and every time I mention a different one they’re like listing disadvantages so I’m kind of having to do it all by myself. At least your school is actually pushing you to get somewhere! Same, I’ve got my maths and English resits in November so I need to get it over with. LOL, you’re practically doing the same as me in everything, including the Law at Uni. I really want to be a barrister. I don’t know if I’m good at language, but I kinda’ seem to pull it off on the day and you can do French with Law at Uni so might be a bit of an advantage. I was gonna do Law at A-Level but what you said is right, it’s not needed and kinda’ seen of a waste. What do you want to do within Law?
    Ahhh that's not very good, my school have a sixth form but it's relatively new so I think they understand that the majority of people don't really want to go to it aha. Good luck with those, I have English also but I don't think I'm doing Maths until summer, they put us through the torture of Statistics last year (which I somehow managed an A* in) so I think they're giving us a bit of a rest aha. Woah that's really strange aha, I'd had a casual interest in law for a while so I decided to do my work experience last year at Torquay County Court where my granddad works as a District Judge; I think that week really confirmed it for me. Ahh the bar, that's really cool I'm more interested in corporate law, hence the choice of economics at A Level. Hopefully if I can get to Oxbridge or another top 10 uni for law, I'll be able to work at a Magic Circle firm in London. That's a bit of a way away however! What aspect of law interests you? Also, I think your idea about doing the language at A Level is a good one, the joint honours law + language degrees look really good, I just don't have the patience to do a language at college - GCSE is enough for me! Some of the degree courses look amazing though, especially the ones that have a year's study in a chosen country as part of it.

ReputationRep:
    Lucky, our sixth form is rubbish and tbh so is my school. If I said what school I go, I think you would agree LOL. Yeah I did Maths and was like two marks off an a*, it was so irritating. I did statistics in year 8 and hated every minute of it but luckily only had to do foundation, but well done your a*. That is actually proper good, I wish people in my family had jobs in law. I've also always intrested in law I think itbut I’m not sure why, I just know it’s what I want to do pursue as a career, and when I did my work experience the employers gave me a task that only law graduates with 2 years of experience (something like that) should of done, and I did it with no mistakes. I was proper chuffed I’m not sure what type of law yet, but not family or crime. I think if people had been killed/children abused I’d find it way too upsetting. I don’t think I’ll get into a top ten Uni, but I guess I can wish. I honestly hated language up until my exam, I treated all the lesson as doss because it was the only ones I had with my friends but then I got both a*’s on my exam which was a really shock and now I kinda’ like it. Yeah, I was looking at the ones where you go abroad, but I don’t think I’d be able to leave my family and friends.It’s good to talk to someone with the same ambitions as me because the majority of my friends just want to be dancers and teachers and don’t understand my aspirations. But if it all falls through, i’ll try and be a model LOL.

ReputationRep:
    Lucky, our sixth form is rubbish and tbh so is my school. If I said what school I go, I think you would agree LOL. Yeah I did Maths and was like two marks off an a*, it was so irritating. I did statistics in year 8 and hated every minute of it but luckily only had to do foundation, but well done your a*. That is actually proper good, I wish people in my family had jobs in law. I've also always intrested in law I think itbut I’m not sure why, I just know it’s what I want to do pursue as a career, and when I did my work experience the employers gave me a task that only law graduates with 2 years of experience (something like that) should of done, and I did it with no mistakes. I was proper chuffed I’m not sure what type of law yet, but not family or crime. I think if people had been killed/children abused I’d find it way too upsetting. I don’t think I’ll get into a top ten Uni, but I guess I can wish. I honestly hated language up until my exam, I treated all the lesson as doss because it was the only ones I had with my friends but then I got both a*’s on my exam which was a really shock and now I kinda’ like it. Yeah, I was looking at the ones where you go abroad, but I don’t think I’d be able to leave my family and friends.It’s good to talk to someone with the same ambitions as me because the majority of my friends just want to be dancers and teachers and don’t understand my aspirations. But if it all falls through, I'll try and be a model LOL.
    Ahaha well I won't ask to you name it on here because of the possible perverts aha, but what I will say is that it obviously helps to have a generally good, high-achieving school but in my opinion, if one has the determination, the drive and the desire to do well then it doesn't matter what institute you're at woahh year 8?! I think I would've died if they'd made us do it back then. Under the circumstances a C is actually pretty awesome bearing in mind it was only year 8 and they had you doing the foundation. Thank you (: Awh that's gutting, at least you get another chance to nail it it's really quite good as he followed a similar career path to what I'd like to do (solicitor - partner - judge) so he's kind of acting as my mentor paha :') that's ace, well done I just sat in court and did admin all week, it was pretty boring but I enjoyed just being part of the legal sector for 5 days! Well if your predicted grades are anything to go by then it seems you'd have a pretty good chance at a top 10 uni if you continue the high perfomance at A Level, at least if you aim high you can have no regrets I understand where you're coming from on that one as I feel the same, particularly regarding criminal law. You should look into divorce law, some real big money in that discipline, especially when you create a reputation for yourself and begin to get celebrity clients lol. It sounds like you should go for the language then, if you can get a*s without too much effort or concentration just think what you can achieve if you put 100% into it at A Level! Ahh, you see I love being away from home but I know some people are the opposite, would you want to go to a uni close to home then, or do you think you'd only miss family and friends if you were studying abroad? I think a year's study abroad would be really good experience aha I feel the same, at my school you either seem to have people with no ambition at all or unrealistic ambition, like fat kids that want to be footballers :')

ReputationRep:
    Meh, my schools results are pretty good for a comprehensive school, but I just dislike the teaching methods. Yeah statistics in year eight was horrible because we have six maths lessons every two weeks, and only one of those was delegated to statistics so it was hard to keep up. Yeah, it was sorta’ gutting but tbh it was partially my fault as I went on holiday with my friend for a week in the half term before exams and when I came back it was a bit overwhelming to have to revise and work. Your work experience sounded good, mine was kinda’ boring ‘cause there was no-one to talk to at like lunch and stuff but I learnt a lot. Hmm, I’d like to think I could go to a top ten Uni but it’s the living expenses for certain areas. I think if I applied myself to the ability I know I can then I definitely could get top marks in A level but I honestly think it depends where I go because I lose interest if it’s a neither competitive or challenging environment which is what my school lacks for me. Yeah, I think I’m going to go with a language because it will probably open up more opportunities than science would if I change mind, as loads of people take science. No, I love being away from home as well just not abroad for a year as if anything was to happen like a family member being taken seriously ill, it’s not like I could come back for the weekend or take any emergency time off for last goodbyes which would be something I’d regret for the rest of my life but i pray nothing like that would happen. FAT FOOTBALLERS lmfao, there’s so many unrealistic ambitions but I guess people shouldn’t give up on dreams. Oh yeah btw, I don’t know if you know this or not but someone who goes BV told me the minimum entry requirement is 6 B’s.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, my schools results are pretty good for a comprehensive school, but I just dislike the teaching methods. Yeah statistics in year eight was horrible because we have six maths lessons every two weeks, and only one of those was delegated to statistics so it was hard to keep up. Yeah, it was sorta’ gutting but tbh it was partially my fault as I went on holiday with my friend for a week in the half term before exams and when I came back it was a bit overwhelming to have to revise and work. Your work experience sounded good, mine was kinda’ boring ‘cause there was no-one to talk to at like lunch and stuff but I learnt a lot. Hmm, I’d like to think I could go to a top ten Uni but it’s the living expenses for certain areas. I think if I applied myself to the ability I know I can then I definitely could get top marks in A level but I honestly think it depends where I go because I lose interest if it’s a neither competitive or challenging environment which is what my school lacks for me. Yeah, I think I’m going to go with a language because it will probably open up more opportunities than science would if I change mind, as loads of people take science. No, I love being away from home as well just not abroad for a year as if anything was to happen like a family member being taken seriously ill, it’s not like I could come back for the weekend or take any emergency time off for last goodbyes which would be something I’d regret for the rest of my life but i pray nothing like that would happen. FAT FOOTBALLERS lmfao, there’s so many unrealistic ambitions but I guess people shouldn’t give up on dreams. Oh yeah btw, I don’t know if you know this or not but someone who goes BV told me the minimum entry requirement is 6 B’s.
    Oh okay, well I suppose if you look at it in a positive light, it forces you to study independently and effectively which will be good practice for college and uni. Wow, I'm not sure how you coped! We had 3 lessons a fortnight allocated to stats and even then we had heaps of homework to make sure we stayed on track. I'm sure you'll nail maths and english this time around, I'm nervous already for my language exam as I'm on an A* average for all disciplines at the moment but if I get say a high B in November, my whole grade will drop :/ My placement was good but I wish I'd got to do some more 'hands on' work as a lot of my time was spent in the public gallery. there was also a girl a year older than me who was there, but she was a bit strange and hard to strike up conversation with, so I may as well have been on my own. It's definitely worth a try and if you were to get a place at either Five Ways or Vesey's you'd have a great chance. Also, most unis provide accomodation at decent prices, lower than you would expect. My friend is a Law fresher at Cambridge and her living expenses are reasonable. You could always get a summer job once your exams are over to raise some money. I understand what you mean, but you can't allow the environment around you to affect how you work, I suppose in life situations aren't always perfect but one has to learn to excel within them. Good decision regarding the language, like you said it will give you that little bit extra on your CV and PS. Perhaps, although often people are so single-minded that it can ruin their lives; they keep trying to achieve a dream that will never happen and then one day, they look in the mirror and realise that they've sacrificied everything for nothing. 6B's doesn't sound too bad, hopefully I should get that without too many problems *crosses fingers*. I think my personal statement is strong, so I'm looking for that to hold me in good stead, and I'm also pretty good at interviews, having been chosen as Head Boy after a series of them. Have you got your Vesey's application? Oh and may I ask why you're not applying for KE Stourbridge? It's an ace college and probably closer than Vesey's.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.