Turn on thread page Beta

Women's magazines are the WORST thing for a woman's self-esteem. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I often wondered why women are so into all these women's magazines (Cosmo etc), and I reckon they are the worst thing for a woman's self-esteem because they are being fed this 'ideal' of how they're 'expected' to look (usually influenced by Hollywood models/actress types etc).

Girls, just how do you cope with this and why do you buy into this whole media mind-programming ********?

The ones who buy those magazines religiously and read them cover to cover are probably "idiots". (Seriously, why on earth would you pick up Heat magazine as opposed to a well-acclaimed novel?)

Hence, because they are "idiots" they buy into this propaganda of the "ideal woman".

Because they don't know any better (i.e. because men are different, they're all into different things), they believe that what they are reading is correct and try to "follow" the advice.

Etc etc...

It's an unstoppable cycle.

ReputationRep:
    This is all based on the celebrity culture we are in right now.
    Back in the days people admired Chaplin for example because he was a great actor and for that 30/1hour show they would enjoy it.
    Now people admire Spears or Jolie because she is Spears or Jolie.
    They are celebrities because they are celebrities.
    Sad but what can you do.
    By the way.This is affecting EVERY aspect of life.
    From Presidents to Football players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    The ones who buy those magazines religiously and read them cover to cover are probably "idiots". (Seriously, why on earth would you pick up Heat magazine as opposed to a well-acclaimed novel?)

Hence, because they are "idiots" they buy into this propaganda of the "ideal woman".

Because they don't know any better (i.e. because men are different, they're all into different things), they believe that what they are reading is correct and try to "follow" the advice.

Etc etc...

It's an unstoppable cycle.
    I'm all for reading but honestly 95% of the books out there are useless.Both past and present.
    ''Literature's best'' is only so because A- it's old. B- One day one critic desided that X novel was worth it and it picked on.
    Who in their right mind would honestly pick a copy of Mobbdy **** or Hamlet and enjoy it?
    And don't let me get started on the self help books. UGH!

ReputationRep:
    I refuse to buy womens magazines for this exact reason, I don't want an unrealistic idiotic 'ideal' being forced down my throat. I subscribe to National Geographic and sometimes read Good Food magazine.. they're the only ones I'd bother reading.. I love National Geographic! <3

(Original post by Theconomist)
    I'm all for reading but honestly 95% of the books out there are useless.Both past and present.
    ''Literature's best'' is only so because A- it's old. B- One day one critic desided that X novel was worth it and it picked on.
    Who in their right mind would honestly pick a copy of Mobbdy **** or Hamlet and enjoy it?
    Lol, books are definitely not useless. So many reasons why... I think you've just offended anyone taking an English Literature degree lol.

And just because it's "old" it doesn't mean it's useless. :lolwut:

No wonder people are discrediting "old" works of fiction for stuff like Jordan's biography or some tatty fashion magazine.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, i never read them

I also think even the internet is bad for my self esteem. If i go away for a few days and not have it, i feel so much better about myself, more confident, less competitive with other women etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    Only some books are literature (Dan Brown is not Nabokov), and plenty of people would enjoy reading Hamlet or Moby ****.

ReputationRep:
    I love it when on one page an anorexic celebrity is featured with a headline like "SCARY!! TOO THIN!!!" and on another page another celebrity who has been gaining weight with the words "too many pies over Christmas, (name)?? NEXT PAGE: 10 page special on losing your winter weight!!!"

ReputationRep:
    Actually i think mens magazines are worse boobs, nails a fancy which most women can never naturally achieve

ReputationRep:

Maybe they just don't wana read novels...?

(Original post by Stasiaxx)
    Actually i think mens magazines are worse boobs, nails a fancy which most women can never naturally achieve
    True say.

The high end male magazines. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Nobody here will admit to buying them anyway

(Original post by Hooj)
    Maybe they just don't wana read novels...?
    Trashy women's magazines are hardly a good alternative, are they now?

ReputationRep:
    "Do not read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel ugly" - Baz Luhrmann

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerny)
    Nobody here will admit to buying them anyway

I can imagine not many people buy them here anymore anyway unless they're travelling long distance (e.g. on a train).

Mens magazines are also bad for a mans self esteem.

ReputationRep:
    I read Cosmo and Glamour and Heat. I'm not ashamed of it, why would I be? I don't think women's magazines are inherently bad for a woman's self esteem, I think most women who have a decent level of self-esteem can read them without agonising over how fat/thin/sexy etc they are. However, if a woman who already has esteem issues does read them, then obviously they will have an effect.

Trashy women's magazines are hardly a good alternative, are they now?
    And why not? If people want to read them, let them read them. What difference does it make to your self-important arse if they choose to read Heat instead of Chaucer?

ReputationRep:
    I agree that they're dreadful for self-esteem, and I've never bought one partly for that reason (among others). I find them hypocritical too, criticising some celebrities for being too thin and others for putting on weight (even if the celebrities in question are actually still at a perfectly healthy weight and look fine). I don't get how it is any of our business if some celebrity *shock horror* goes out without make-up on, and why we should be expected to care.

Edit: I must admit to flicking through the occasional magazine like that if there's nothing else in a waiting room, for example...I can see the attraction, but don't wish to be sucked into that world too much.

ReputationRep:
    I think the internet can be more damaging to your self-esteem especially if you hang around TSR/4chan and you're a size 20,black somalian muslim girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Love Dog)
    Only some books are literature (Dan Brown is not Nabokov), and plenty of people would enjoy reading Hamlet or Moby ****.

I think people are sometimes put off by the idea that a book is 'literature', as if that means the book will be terribly dull and boring. Which Nabokov and Hamlet certainly aren't. :cool:

Mobby **** on the other hand... i want those hours of my life back thanks :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.