Turn on thread page Beta

Women's magazines are the WORST thing for a woman's self-esteem. watch

ReputationRep:
    I shudder everytime I see someone's ribs in magazines. Oh, funniest thing ever: I was reading a french magazine, and one page was on anorexia, then the next page was an advert on a pill which helped you lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jblackmoustache)
    I can imagine not many people buy them here anymore anyway unless they're travelling long distance (e.g. on a train).

Mens magazines are also bad for a mans self esteem.

Hows that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Trashy women's magazines are hardly a good alternative, are they now?
    If they are trying to find an alternative to Girl with the Dragon tattoo then no but if they just plain don't wanna read an authors final brainstorm fastened between two pieces of card then i guess they are fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stasiaxx)
    Hows that?
    Mens magazines give us boners and 90% of men will look down at their boner and feel inadequate all over again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beadle's About)
    I often wondered why women are so into all these women's magazines (Cosmo etc), and I reckon they are the worst thing for a woman's self-esteem because they are being fed this 'ideal' of how they're 'expected' to look (usually influenced by Hollywood models/actress types etc).

Girls, just how do you cope with this and why do you buy into this whole media mind-programming ********?
    Personally, I don't think magazines like cosmo are that bad. I mean yeah, they still stick to stereotypes and have not so much variation in models they use. But there are plenty of articles/campaigns/stories about real issues. I'm not gonna read one and take it dead seriously, or think it's properly representative of the average woman, but I don't think its a big bad mean magazine making girls have a bad self image. A lot of the time they help. Same goes for teen magazines like Sugar, which actually aim for acceptance of everyone in some campaigns.

Things like heat on the other hand- the cheaper 'celebrity' based magazines I hate. I flick through them sometimes when my friend has them, but personally they don't interest me usually because I don't like fashion and I am not bothered about celebrities (except a very few who I admire). But some of them are ridiculous... there was an article saying something like 'Katy Perry's Wedding Disaster- her big day is at risk' and it turned out she had some slight spots on her neck. It's ridiculous. And they always complain if someone gains OR loses weight. Then the real life story was a woman who didn't work because she 'was too pretty' and wanted to be a model, yet repeatedly quite modelling jobs such as beauty pageants because it was too much effort/she didn't have the right dress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stasiaxx)
    Hows that?
    The internet has all the information todays woman needs at her fingertips :p:

ReputationRep:
    I love the "How to get the natural look" articles, I've learned that I've been doing it wrong my whole life! The shame of it all. :blushing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    I read Cosmo and Glamour and Heat. I'm not ashamed of it, why would I be? I don't think women's magazines are inherently bad for a woman's self esteem, I think most women who have a decent level of self-esteem can read them without agonising over how fat/thin/sexy etc they are. However, if a woman who already has esteem issues does read them, then obviously they will have an effect.

And why not? If people want to read them, let them read them. What difference does it make to your self-important arse if they choose to read Heat instead of Chaucer?
    :ditto: But replace Glamour with Company :ahee:
    I read them because I find them interesting :dontknow: I have enough sense not take to heart half of the stuff written in them but generally it's a good way to keep me occupied for a half hour or so.
    Plus I love the gossip :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jblackmoustache)
    The internet has all the information todays woman needs at her fingertips :p:

what do you mean

(Original post by Lizia)
    I read Cosmo and Glamour and Heat. I'm not ashamed of it, why would I be? I don't think women's magazines are inherently bad for a woman's self esteem, I think most women who have a decent level of self-esteem can read them without agonising over how fat/thin/sexy etc they are. However, if a woman who already has esteem issues does read them, then obviously they will have an effect.
    Unsurprisingly, the ones who do usually read them do have self-esteem issues.

And why not? If people want to read them, let them read them. What difference does it make to your self-important arse if they choose to read Heat instead of Chaucer?
    I'm not saying they should be banned or anything, it's just, it's hardly good reading material? (Well in my opinion anyways).

Do you think it's right for a girl to be indoctrinated by women's magazines?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beadle's About)
    I often wondered why women are so into all these women's magazines (Cosmo etc), and I reckon they are the worst thing for a woman's self-esteem because they are being fed this 'ideal' of how they're 'expected' to look (usually influenced by Hollywood models/actress types etc).

Girls, just how do you cope with this and why do you buy into this whole media mind-programming ********?
    I only buy them to look at the clothes/hair and makeup thats all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    I'm all for reading but honestly 95% of the books out there are useless.Both past and present.
    ''Literature's best'' is only so because A- it's old. B- One day one critic desided that X novel was worth it and it picked on.
    Who in their right mind would honestly pick a copy of Mobbdy **** or Hamlet and enjoy it?
    And don't let me get started on the self help books. UGH!
    I enjoyed both Moby **** and Hamlet. :hmmm:
    I disagree with every sentence you wrote there.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it's right for a girl to be indoctrinated by women's magazines?
    I don't think girls should be reading women's magazines at all. The magazines are targeted at grown women, most of whom have the common sense and self worth not to feel inferior to an airbrushed model.

Unsurprisingly, the ones who do usually read them do have self-esteem issues.
    Do you have any evidence for this at all? Pretty much everyone I know reads these magazines, and none of us have particularly low self esteem.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The ones who buy those magazines religiously and read them cover to cover are probably "idiots". (Seriously, why on earth would you pick up Heat magazine as opposed to a well-acclaimed novel?)

Hence, because they are "idiots" they buy into this propaganda of the "ideal woman".

Because they don't know any better (i.e. because men are different, they're all into different things), they believe that what they are reading is correct and try to "follow" the advice.

Etc etc...

It's an unstoppable cycle.
    Yeah- i agree

(Original post by Lizia)
    I don't think girls should be reading women's magazines at all. The magazines are targeted at grown women, most of whom have the common sense and self worth not to feel inferior to an airbrushed model.
    Well, hun, many teenage girls do read women's magazines. In fact, I've seen primary school kids reading them (!)

Do you have any evidence for this at all? Pretty much everyone I know reads these magazines, and none of us have particularly low self esteem.
    Even if I gave the evidence, you still wouldn't believe me.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's a bit unfair. Many magazines are bad for self image, but not all. A good guide is to avoid any magazine that has a "circle of shame" section where they highlight celebrities' cellulite or make fun of their fashion sense. Those are just *****y. I read Glamour and Cosmo - lots of fashion, sex tips, they rarely **** people off and do make some kind of an effort to represent different kinds of body shapes and lifestyles. Eg Glamour has a curvy girl and petite girl fashion section, both often have two women writers debating over an issue affecting women from opposing viewpoints and they're always printing articles on things like increasing confidence and "loving yourself".

Anyway, who actually lives their lives by these magazines? They're just light entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    I can see what you mean, but personally, I've never felt affected by magazines (on the few occasions I read them). I find real people affect me more.

ReputationRep:
    i admit that I like flicking through these celeb magazines. I never read the 'articles' but just have a look at the pictures of what people are wearing to get fashion tips. but I admit that they can really get you down and make you feel self conscious. but the worst thing about these magazines are the fact that they are poorly written and don't stretch people's minds. whereas reading something like the New Scientist or the times newspaper does this.... but your average person is hardly going to pick up New Scientist when there is a magazine with a picture of cheryl cole on the front when the alternative has a picture of DNA on it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, hun, many teenage girls do read women's magazines. In fact, I've seen primary school kids reading them (!)
    Well, 'hun', I never said they didn't. If you read properly (is my post not acceptable reading material?), I said that I didn't think they should be. The editors and publishers can't be held responsible if their magazine has an adverse effect on people they make no attempt to sell to. The magazine is aimed at women, so its effect on girls is not the responsibility of the magazine.

ReputationRep:
    as has been said, the women who buy into that stuff are idiots. not all women are idiots.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.