Turn on thread page Beta

Women's magazines are the WORST thing for a woman's self-esteem. watch

ReputationRep:
    Women need to know what to dress and how to look though

ReputationRep:
    I don't i know it's all just bull ****, i feel soz for any chick who takes those nonsense magazine seriously, i mean come on:

'how to lose weight in 1 week LOOOOOLL!11 omgggzzz'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beadle's About)
    I often wondered why women are so into all these women's magazines (Cosmo etc), and I reckon they are the worst thing for a woman's self-esteem because they are being fed this 'ideal' of how they're 'expected' to look (usually influenced by Hollywood models/actress types etc).

Girls, just how do you cope with this and why do you buy into this whole media mind-programming ********?
    I don't really read women's magazines, partly to avoid being programmed and partly because they are boring and predictable as ****. It's all 'How to lose weight', 'How to look good in clothes' 'How to put on make up' 'Look at this shocking/inspiring real life story'. I hate being put in a hole - I would far rather read about funny stories/gadgets in Shortlist. Which is geared towards guys.

But take a look at this, Adam Hills pretty much gets it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    This is all based on the celebrity culture we are in right now.
    Back in the days people admired Chaplin for example because he was a great actor and for that 30/1hour show they would enjoy it.
    Now people admire Spears or Jolie because she is Spears or Jolie.
    They are celebrities because they are celebrities.
    Sad but what can you do.
    By the way.This is affecting EVERY aspect of life.
    From Presidents to Football players.
    why do you start a new line after every sentence? it looks so stupid and fresh...

ReputationRep:
    Lol you girls blatantly do like reading them. If not, then you wouldn't be making threads saying "how comes Guys like skinny girls." I think those magazines and the TV - is where Eating Disorders begin.

ReputationRep:
    Most people I know don't seem to read them. I think its TV and the internet that are the bigger problems. Don't forget those lad mags too they influence men. A guy on the train was talking to his gf about page 3 and if she would get a boob job for him, why would a man say that to his gf?

ReputationRep:
    Not all of them are bad for womens' self esteem. My friend bought some god awful magazine for a laugh (I forget the name) and it was full of stories about teenager mothers who's boyfriend had fathered a child by their twin sister or other ridiclious sitiations. Made me feel amazing about my life!

ReputationRep:
    Those magazines really improve mine. Some of the stuff they print is so silly that it often cheers me up!

When it comes to magazines though, I'd go for Sky at Night, BBC History or Top Gear over Cosmo :p:

ReputationRep:
    What sickens me about many womens' magazines is how much they focus on hair, beauty and fashion. Every week, fortnight or month they seem to go on about new miracle hair and beauty products as if it's what our lives have been crying out for. You know, incredible new mascara - oh right, my usual one does the job fine. Is it wrong that I'm satisfied with my eyelashes? New cellulite cream? Way to draw attention to something I wasn't even aware of. I just hate how they seem to create these 'needs'. This constant striving for 'perfection'. Then with fashion - it does my head in how they tell you how to dress to suit your shape and they seem to tell you how to conceal the 'unattractive' aspects of your figure type (who fits neatly into those categories anyway?) Ok, so if you're pair shaped, steer clear from wearing patterns on your bottom half. Er, so I should hide the fact that I have a shapely hips? If you're 'boyish', it's all about how to 'look more feminine'. It's enough to give you a complex. It just assumes that no one is happy with their body, and if you are, you bloody well better not be because here is what's wrong with your figure.
    Then these revolting fashion features with hideously expensive clothing. Page after page after page of that, and then they might throw in a charity ad asking for donations to help fund a school in Uganda. And then as a bit of food for thought, there will be some article on some aspect of well-being, maybe with a bit of pseudo philosophy and pop psychology thrown in. And perhaps an irritating article about how the male mind works. Not a drop of generalisations or misandry. No, never. Brainwashing women into abiding by ridiculous rules about men and courtship and making them feel like if they're not being approached by men all the time, they're undesirable and men just aren't interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beadle's About)
    I often wondered why women are so into all these women's magazines (Cosmo etc), and I reckon they are the worst thing for a woman's self-esteem because they are being fed this 'ideal' of how they're 'expected' to look (usually influenced by Hollywood models/actress types etc).

Girls, just how do you cope with this and why do you buy into this whole media mind-programming ********?

Am i the only one to totally disagree?

I dont find womens magazines at all depressing or bad for my self esteem! The models / celebs pictured are just so unattainably beautiful that I don't even consider making myself feel bad because I dont match up! Especially with all the airbrushing etc these days everyone knows its just not real life. I like reading them for escapism! Like in the same way its fun looking at celebrity houses on cribs or whatever.

I really dont think it's media mind programming at all! The media just respond to what people want.

ReputationRep:
    Women's magazines are the biggest pile of poop ever. It's mind-numbing drivel ("How to have the best sex ever!", "What men really think of your body!") written by insecure women for insecure women. Same with lad's mags, the attitude that a woman is just boobs and ass. Give me a break, nobody can be this dumb surely! I other words, GTFO, fools!!!

ReputationRep:
    Meh. I buy LOOK magazine every week, as its mainly fashion, hair and make up which I love. Dont see a problem. I would buy Vogue, but I cant afford anything in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat-Love)
    I think the internet can be more damaging to your self-esteem especially if you hang around TSR/4chan and you're a size 20,black somalian muslim girl.
    :rofl: TSR doesn't seem to be much milder than all the weight-obsessed magazines.
    I still subscribe to Glamor, but its mostly because I like receiving things by post, and cba to unsubscribe, plus they often give you freebies. I have sometimes found good advice on hair/make up/fashion, but I never tried to follow or emulate the "celebrity" lifestyle- like someone has noted, my old mascara is fine, and I won't be splashing more money for supposedly better one, or spending $£€ I don't own on things I don't need. And whilst I do have dips in self-esteem from time to time, its not because I envy models they use, most time they look awful.

ReputationRep:
    What the **** happened to my post? Aliens I tell ya, aliens.

ReputationRep:
    I occasionally pick up a copy of heat and it is one of those things you can just pick up and take in on a hungover morning when the brain isn't functioning properly.
    The feelings of outrage it provokes in me at the fact that so many people care which celebrities are sleeping with each other usually kick my brain back into gear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat-Love)
    I think the internet can be more damaging to your self-esteem especially if you hang around TSR/4chan and you're a size 20,black somalian muslim girl.
    lol totally agree

Edit: Womens magazines are so the reason why are teenage girls and women dress the same, I read one fashion and I noticed that week most of the girls I came across wore the clothes featured in the magazine because the latest "amazing" celeb wore it. So I bought another mag just to see if it was a coincidence...it wasn't girls were wearing the same clothes from the mag.

It is not too bad if females genuinely like the clothes and bought them, but to emulate what a celeb wore and copy every detail from the shoes to the accessories that is pathetic they obviously want to be a clone, and they will eventually want to have the same body shape so here comes the obsessive diet and low self esteem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    The ones who buy those magazines religiously and read them cover to cover are probably "idiots". (Seriously, why on earth would you pick up Heat magazine as opposed to a well-acclaimed novel?)

Hence, because they are "idiots" they buy into this propaganda of the "ideal woman".

Because they don't know any better (i.e. because men are different, they're all into different things), they believe that what they are reading is correct and try to "follow" the advice.

Etc etc...

It's an unstoppable cycle.
    That's odd. I read Grazia and the like and yet I'm going to Oxford. And...you're not (even if you're desperate to). Looks like I'm not the one who's an idiot.

(Original post by Lizia)
    Well, 'hun', I never said they didn't. If you read properly (is my post not acceptable reading material?), I said that I didn't think they should be. The editors and publishers can't be held responsible if their magazine has an adverse effect on people they make no attempt to sell to. The magazine is aimed at women, so its effect on girls is not the responsibility of the magazine.
    I know, they're there to sell money. And so they should be.

Tbh, if people are "stupid" enough to buy these magazines, then I for one respect the fact that the editors/publishers are taking sole advantage of that. They don't care.

Women (and men) should be more educated and purchase magazines of a better quality.

But if you wanna read trashy magazines - so be it. I don't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    I refuse to buy womens magazines for this exact reason, I don't want an unrealistic idiotic 'ideal' being forced down my throat. I subscribe to National Geographic and sometimes read Good Food magazine.. they're the only ones I'd bother reading.. I love National Geographic! <3
    you should subscribe to Geographical - it's the British version of nat geog

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend buys Glamour, and admittedly I read it as well sometimes, and with that magazine I feel its more towards giving you clothing ideas, no matter what you look like, and interesting articles. I don't recall there being any articles on new diets etc.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.