Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Women's magazines are the WORST thing for a woman's self-esteem. watch

ReputationRep:
    i know a few women who read all these crappy women's mags & they have no self esteem issues...

ReputationRep:
    I don't read any of the "Heat" or Ok! or the other celebrity based magazines. But I do occasionally read Cosmo. Do I have low self esteem? No, I don't. And to be honest, Cosmo doesn't have that many negative articles and even if it did, I wouldn't be bothered by them. I can't be brain washed by a magazine, I'm happy with the way I look and a magazine, TV show, internet article won't change that. So no, I'm not an idiot. I read books AS WELL - oh my gosh shock horror, you can do both?!?!
    Some people in this thread need to get off their high horse.

ReputationRep:
    I agree and never read them.
    A lot of the girls I know do, and they are the type to always be on a fad diet and wondering if their clothes are fashionable and/or make them look fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    That's odd. I read Grazia and the like and yet I'm going to Oxford. And...you're not (even if you're desperate to). Looks like I'm not the one who's an idiot.
    What's you going to Oxford got to do with anything?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't read them because I find them insanely boring :p: I'm not into fashion and stuff so I'd rather read a book. Nothing wrong with reading them though.

I don't think they'll ruin ones self esteem, unless you are one of those people who lets someone else dictate how they should look. I'm sure the majority of readers actually don't buy into the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    The ones who buy those magazines religiously and read them cover to cover are probably "idiots". (Seriously, why on earth would you pick up Heat magazine as opposed to a well-acclaimed novel?)

Hence, because they are "idiots" they buy into this propaganda of the "ideal woman".

Because they don't know any better (i.e. because men are different, they're all into different things), they believe that what they are reading is correct and try to "follow" the advice.

Etc etc...

It's an unstoppable cycle.
    Why do you think that women who read magazines choose not to read a novel, or choose them over reading novels? I know many people who read magazines who also read novels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    The ones who buy those magazines religiously and read them cover to cover are probably "idiots". (Seriously, why on earth would you pick up Heat magazine as opposed to a well-acclaimed novel?)

Hence, because they are "idiots" they buy into this propaganda of the "ideal woman".

Because they don't know any better (i.e. because men are different, they're all into different things), they believe that what they are reading is correct and try to "follow" the advice.

Etc etc...

It's an unstoppable cycle.
    How about people that read 'well-acclaimed' novels as well as magazines? And what about people that don't buy into the propaganda of the 'ideal woman', but like to read magazines anyway? Face it, people have different likes and dislikes from you, doesn't make anyone that thinks differently an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    :woo:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    I refuse to buy womens magazines for this exact reason, I don't want an unrealistic idiotic 'ideal' being forced down my throat. I subscribe to National Geographic and sometimes read Good Food magazine.. they're the only ones I'd bother reading.. I love National Geographic! <3
    Yeah the National Geographic is good. Although I do tend to skip the technology stuff, doesn't interest me as much. I'm sure it got me an A in my Geography AS exam (its like they predicted the question) and its gone down on my personal statement as wider reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NubbliNubbleton)
    What's you going to Oxford got to do with anything?
    ISA is obsessed with Oxbridge - it makes it easy to troll her/him.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.