Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Climbontoyourseahorse)
    Drop your attitude. It's appalling. If you really think the university isn't up to scratch and is beneath you, drop out, retake your exams, reapply and hope that you get into somewhere you'd be more satisfied with.
    What, because dopping out and losing a year is really that easy?

No, it's a university, they should get their act together and take their responsibility to their students seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel)
    thats what you get when you dont stick to russel group unis
    Bull****.

I'm at a met uni, and for 4 out of 5 modules I have a detailed syllabus. Each averaging at 40-55 page lengths.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good to me! Less reading to do

ReputationRep:
    lol u mad

ReputationRep:
    It's just a syllabus!!

You'll get individual module explanations anyway, and your lecturers will tell you what to study, so is really that important?

ReputationRep:
    Stop swearing, jeez. It's a good job Imperial rejected such a foul mouthed over-reactor, I doubt they would want someone like that at their university. Just wait a while and I'm sure your lecturers will give you all the course material you need.

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably get an overview of each module as the first lecture in that moduel CHILL THE **** OUT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Holy ****.. If you react to the syllabus like that, I'd love to see what happens when you realise how **** our library is.
    :rofl:

Is it really that bad? As in, will OP's head explode when he realises?

ReputationRep:
    Op: i just started uni and we werent even given a syllabus, we get modula hand books next week tho, which are apparently 5-10 pages long, anything extra we have to add ourselves, this is uni after all.

ReputationRep:
    I guess your still not ready for going to uni yet.

ReputationRep:
    can't you try and transfer to a different uni later on?

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with you OP, having access to a detailed syllabus is really important to know about the units, prep yourself and understand what the course is about. I asked for a syllabus for various subjects at University of Herts and each one was like at least 20 pages so I just scanned various paragraphs which helped me decide what to apply for.

I think you should speak to the older years and ask them how they felt about it, also go to like the student help centre and mention it but in a lighter tone as not to offend them.

ReputationRep:
    Stop whining you baby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullet_theory92)
    this reminds me of this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq0GMD2_6y0
    I DIED. XD

ReputationRep:
    Get over the fact you didnt get into UCL or Imperial... RHUL is a good uni.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of prestige freaks on here.

Remember kids - prestige isn't everything...amazingly enough, some people actually do get a job without going to a Russell Group university. A proper job too, not like, sweeping roads or owt, a real job!

Unbelievable really how these 'non-russell group' universities are even allowed to give out a degree if you ask me mind. Absolutely disgraceful. In fact I'd go as far as saying if you don't go to Oxbridge, or a university commonly referred to by its initials you're clearly not clever enough to go to university.

Freaks, the lot of you. I imagine there are some poor universities outside of the russell group yes, but there are some damn fine ones outside of it too. Lancaster for example, a top ten university, not in the Russell Group.

ReputationRep:
    As a syllabus, that sounds perfectly reasonable - as far as I'm concerned, the syllabus is there to tell you what is potentially examinable, and nothing else. Why the need for superfluous material? An overly specific syllabus is intellectually limiting: it promotes the (frankly pathetic) 'well, it's not down in black and white, so I'm not going to look at that' mindset, and it limits the lecturers, who should have (in my mind) a reasonable scope in what they can teach. The syllabus should act as a foundation, not a limit.

Be warned, sometimes examiners like to stray outside of the syllabus. I'd love to see your reaction if that happens to you. Initially, that sort of thing pissed me off a bit, but then I realised that actually what they were asking was, even though not actually taught, a reasonable, logical extension of principles I had been taught, and was something that, in truth, we probably should have asked about at some point.

ReputationRep:
    Watched this today and it reminded me of this thread -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel)
    thats what you get when you dont stick to russel group unis
    The Russel Group is a load of *****, there are tonnes of good Unis not in, and some very average Uni's which are. For example; St Andrews isn't in, nor is Durham, yet Cardiff, Liverpool and Leeds, to name just a few, are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Timepasser)
    I dunno much about either unis, heck I dont even live in the UK.
    Don't comment then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.