Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Lancaster for example, a top ten university.
    The post was reasonable up to then but this is just... :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thejonsmith)
    Don't comment then.
    It doesn't change facts. Where I live or having visited their campus doesn't matter. Imperial and UCL attract the best students in the world...RH is the one people in my grade used to get an unconditional offer 'in the bag' with the view that they could transfer elsewhere in the uni of London next year.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not at all saying RH is bad. Its just that u cant expect it to have the same standards as the other two...thats common sense. Besides not having the schedule is hardly a bad thing for most students so u cant blame the uni either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel)
    thats what you get when you dont stick to russel group unis
    Utter codswallop.

by the way, its `Russell`.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've only read a few of the posts on the first page and most people have it right. If you need a syllabus to learn Uni really isn't for you. You should have a book list or a recommended text, read that. My syllabus contains a list of modules and a brief description on each, by that I mean a paragraph if that.
    I don't know how good RHU is so can't comment but seems to me like you don't have the right idea about Uni. They give you the info, you learn it. It's called independent study.

ReputationRep:
    it's just a syllabus, relax...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullet_theory92)
    this reminds me of this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq0GMD2_6y0
    He looks like a retarded seal
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have to echo some of the posts above. You don't need a detailed syllabus for the course. If anything, university isn't about that.

The closest you'll get is a set recommended text as usually anything in said text can be on the exam.

(I've not read the whole thread... but out of curiosity... which course is it?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravelGuru)
    lmfao, are you even at uni, kid?
    Yes, I'm at a top 15 Russell Group uni. So, suck it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Sparkles)
    Yes, I'm at a top 15 Russell Group uni. So, suck it
    So which league table are you guys fapping over these days? If it's the Times as it usually has been the last few years, then I hate to break it to you, but Rhul is 13th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zynx)
    I wanted to go to Imperial, applied with A*A*A predictions but got rejected...got an offer from UCL and I was ecstatic.

Failed to meet offer, got AAB, realised I wasn't A* level clever but got a place at Royal holloway for my course.

I was disappointed and not overly keen on going there but thought I may aswell enjoy it and make the most of it now.

This week is freshers week and I start lectures on monday, I had already obtained the course syllabus from Imperial and UCL a long time ago just to get a good idea of what exactly is involved in the modules. These are in-depth specifications outlining every single aspect that will be taught and what will be examined. Imperial's is 35 pages long and UCL's is 30 pages long

2 days ago I logged on to my student account and tried to find the course spec for royal holloway. I find it, I open it....1 ******* ******** page with a few ******* bullet points :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ONE PAGE!!! Is this a ******* joke!? I thought surely this can't be the proper one so I went to my form tutor and asked him for the course syllabus and he gave me the same thing.

I am absolutely FUMING right now, just fuming! Like seriously, I've been made to feel bad about my initial dismissal of this uni and got all the lectures about prestige and rankings aren't everything ....but I can't even ******* get a proper course syllabus? My gcse specs were more ******* detailed than that WTF! :mad:

I am so outraged as all I care about now is focusing on my course and doing well, I thought these ******* will at LEAST provide me with a syllabus that can't be written by an 8 year old on microsoft word but NO!

I am really really angry, what can I do now? Just go to those incompetent *******s and tell them that their disgraceful one page spec is not good enough? Yeah, that'll really put me in their good books, first week in and I'm already criticising their ******** institute.

All I want is a proper syllabus for my course for **** sake is this too much to ask? :banghead: Can anybody please suggest what I do? Is there any place within a uni where I can file a complaint or something?
    ahhh royal holloway. i love that uni. but i got into imperial instead :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zynx)
    I wanted to go to Imperial, applied with A*A*A predictions but got rejected...got an offer from UCL and I was ecstatic.

Failed to meet offer, got AAB, realised I wasn't A* level clever but got a place at Royal holloway for my course.

I was disappointed and not overly keen on going there but thought I may aswell enjoy it and make the most of it now.

This week is freshers week and I start lectures on monday, I had already obtained the course syllabus from Imperial and UCL a long time ago just to get a good idea of what exactly is involved in the modules. These are in-depth specifications outlining every single aspect that will be taught and what will be examined. Imperial's is 35 pages long and UCL's is 30 pages long

2 days ago I logged on to my student account and tried to find the course spec for royal holloway. I find it, I open it....1 ******* ******** page with a few ******* bullet points :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ONE PAGE!!! Is this a ******* joke!? I thought surely this can't be the proper one so I went to my form tutor and asked him for the course syllabus and he gave me the same thing.

I am absolutely FUMING right now, just fuming! Like seriously, I've been made to feel bad about my initial dismissal of this uni and got all the lectures about prestige and rankings aren't everything ....but I can't even ******* get a proper course syllabus? My gcse specs were more ******* detailed than that WTF! :mad:

I am so outraged as all I care about now is focusing on my course and doing well, I thought these ******* will at LEAST provide me with a syllabus that can't be written by an 8 year old on microsoft word but NO!

I am really really angry, what can I do now? Just go to those incompetent *******s and tell them that their disgraceful one page spec is not good enough? Yeah, that'll really put me in their good books, first week in and I'm already criticising their ******** institute.

All I want is a proper syllabus for my course for **** sake is this too much to ask? :banghead: Can anybody please suggest what I do? Is there any place within a uni where I can file a complaint or something?

Ouch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Timepasser)
    It doesn't change facts. Where I live or having visited their campus doesn't matter. Imperial and UCL attract the best students in the world...RH is the one people in my grade used to get an unconditional offer 'in the bag' with the view that they could transfer elsewhere in the uni of London next year.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not at all saying RH is bad. Its just that u cant expect it to have the same standards as the other two...thats common sense. Besides not having the schedule is hardly a bad thing for most students so u cant blame the uni either
    Yeah, of course they're better. If you go on the 'world rankings' alone, it's easy to see many other London unis (i.e UCL, Imperial, LSE and KCL) are far better than Royal Holloway, but if you admit that you 'don't actually know much about any of the unis' then the speculative disapproval isn't particularly helpful.

What course were they applying for, though? And what offers did they get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    So which league table are you guys fapping over these days? If it's the Times as it usually has been the last few years, then I hate to break it to you, but Rhul is 13th.
    I don't 'fap' over tables, but a less subjective alternative is the top 100 universities in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullet_theory92)
    this reminds me of this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq0GMD2_6y0
    I was expecting the angry German kid. This is also good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zynx)
    Relax.

In your first lecture for each subject module they'll go into more detail. It'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thejonsmith)
    I don't 'fap' over tables, but a less subjective alternative is the top 100 universities in the world.
    Why is that one any less subjective. It puts Manchester ahead of Warwick, Nottingham and LSE. Is that a general consensus view or subjective?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Why is that one any less subjective. It puts Manchester ahead of Warwick, Nottingham and LSE. Is that a general consensus view or subjective?
    Because it doesn't take student satisfaction into account.

ReputationRep:
    Oh noez you never got AAA the world is going to end. **** happens deal with it instead of crying about it

ReputationRep:
    i think u need a shag...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Holy ****.. If you react to the syllabus like that, I'd love to see what happens when you realise how **** our library is.
    ROFL.

Got there before i could!

Oh it depends on department, i have a 60 page booklet that tells me everything need to know about assessments, gradings and department protocol, plus course leaders make everything available to us on moodle and in print if neccessary, even the readings.

I just got an information package on the assessment of last years coursework for the course i havent even had one lecture in. Anyway Royal Holloway is a research intensive Uni, its not meant to spoon feed you, makes the assumption you are competant.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.