Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    LMAO. I find your story highly amusing. Maybe it's the way you've written it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zynx)
    I wanted to go to Imperial, applied with A*A*A predictions but got rejected...got an offer from UCL and I was ecstatic.

Failed to meet offer, got AAB, realised I wasn't A* level clever but got a place at Royal holloway for my course.

I was disappointed and not overly keen on going there but thought I may aswell enjoy it and make the most of it now.

This week is freshers week and I start lectures on monday, I had already obtained the course syllabus from Imperial and UCL a long time ago just to get a good idea of what exactly is involved in the modules. These are in-depth specifications outlining every single aspect that will be taught and what will be examined. Imperial's is 35 pages long and UCL's is 30 pages long

2 days ago I logged on to my student account and tried to find the course spec for royal holloway. I find it, I open it....1 ******* ******** page with a few ******* bullet points :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ONE PAGE!!! Is this a ******* joke!? I thought surely this can't be the proper one so I went to my form tutor and asked him for the course syllabus and he gave me the same thing.

I am absolutely FUMING right now, just fuming! Like seriously, I've been made to feel bad about my initial dismissal of this uni and got all the lectures about prestige and rankings aren't everything ....but I can't even ******* get a proper course syllabus? My gcse specs were more ******* detailed than that WTF! :mad:

I am so outraged as all I care about now is focusing on my course and doing well, I thought these ******* will at LEAST provide me with a syllabus that can't be written by an 8 year old on microsoft word but NO!

I am really really angry, what can I do now? Just go to those incompetent *******s and tell them that their disgraceful one page spec is not good enough? Yeah, that'll really put me in their good books, first week in and I'm already criticising their ******** institute.

All I want is a proper syllabus for my course for **** sake is this too much to ask? :banghead: Can anybody please suggest what I do? Is there any place within a uni where I can file a complaint or something?
    Sorry to hear that,,,.. But its not a big deal, go to the lecturers after classes start, I am sure they will give you more details....

BTW, be happy with what you got, atleast you get to study the subject of your choice... You are 1000 times better off than I am, just read the bio in my profile you will understand...

ReputationRep:
    Form tutor? Do you have a form tutor at uni (if so, just lol) or did you return to school to ask your old form tutor to somehow solve your problem (if so, lol).
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    University is about independent learning and study. If you need a detailed list of exactly what to study / revise, then uni is not for you IMO.
    i agree.

besides, instead of getting upset over a syllabus, go out and have some fun! that's what most people at uni are doing right now.

ReputationRep:
    you sound spoilt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul92)
    The Russel Group is a load of *****, there are tonnes of good Unis not in, and some very average Uni's which are. For example; St Andrews isn't in, nor is Durham, yet Cardiff, Liverpool and Leeds, to name just a few, are!
    the only good unis that are not in are york and durham

bath loughborough andrews lancaster exeter reading aston and surrey are not far behind

dont go to any other uni than those

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thejonsmith)
    The post was reasonable up to then but this is just... :facepalm2:
    Top ten according to the Times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel)

bath loughborough andrews lancaster exeter reading aston and surrey are not far behind

York ahead of St Andrews? And St Andrews mentioned in the same breath as Reading and Aston... :eek3:

ReputationRep:

Oh dear - every uni I rejected in favour of ARU appears either in the Russell Group or on your list.

ReputationRep:
    wow I didn't get the syllabus for my course and I got a 2.1..maybe if I had got the syllabus I would have gotten a first

ReputationRep:

I'd certainly put St Andrews as level (at least) with York. As for Durham, I'm biased.

This is rather unfair, though. There are plenty of universities that may be lower on the league tables but have excellent reputations for certain courses and are building up their names in that area. Loughborough is the prime example of one that has pulled itself up but don't discount the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Oh dear - every uni I rejected in favour of ARU appears either in the Russell Group or on your list.
    i would not worry because with a course like optometry you will end up with an excellent job. its like medicine - if you go to a low status uni you will still end up rich

but for people like me who are going to be applying for grad schemes i think it is important

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.