Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much would it cost in petrol to drive 60 miles? watch

ReputationRep:
    Might be an utterly random question to you, but I'm wondering how much to give my friend for giving me a lift tomorrow, basically. She has a 1.4 Ford Ka if that helps

ReputationRep:
    £5-£10.

depends how she drives and on what roads.

ReputationRep:
    I have a 1.3 petrol ford K.A and I have done 90 miles for £10 but it depends on things such as weather, luggage (the weight of the car) and at what speed you travel. I think £10 would cover it though.

ReputationRep:
    I would give a tenner probably but the cost will probably be closer to 10p a mile so approx £6.

But if they are going out of their way to help etc then it might be worth bumping it to £10.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone! Yeah, all my junk will be in the car so it'll probably be about a tenner.

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind that 60 miles by train will cost you considerably more so give them money accordingly. The Land Rover was great because having 12 seats you could fill it up with friends and have each of them pay a quid or two and have enough petrol money to go most places in Devon for the day

ReputationRep:
    A good friend isn't she?

ReputationRep:
    I've never paid a friend for a lift, or accepted money for a lift...but seems fair tbh (esp such a long distance and if she's going out of her way)

The cost depends on how she drives, roads, traffics, etc...so as said above somewhere between 6.50 and 10 quid...so yeh if she's going way out of her way and all ...10 quid would be a good amount

ReputationRep:
    I have a 1.3 KA and drove 60 miles on less than a quarter of a tank! About £10 should cover it. x

ReputationRep:
    Work it out
    Ford Ka mpgs are 35 in city 55 on highway, average 45 but take lower quartile of 40. So 60miles would use 6.8 litres of fuel with cost of 112p per litre, soooo....

Cost to travel 60 miles in Ford Ka is £7.69 , simples

ReputationRep:
    Depends how they drive, £8 or so most likely.

Cost me £12-15 in my car, I really need to sort out the timing as it's just eating fuel.

ReputationRep:
    I would say about a tenner. Especially if she's going out of her way to help you out.

ReputationRep:
    Random question but do you know what the petrol cost for a 1.9 ford focus from leeds to liverpool would be , i want to know so i know how much i need to pay to the driver . cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steven Dobby)
    Random question but do you know what the petrol cost for a 1.9 ford focus from leeds to liverpool would be , i want to know so i know how much i need to pay to the driver . cheers
    Approx £12 should cover it, I would say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    Approx £12 should cover it, I would say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds about right, but I'd give £15

£12 gets me 115 miles (on a hybrid)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Sounds about right, but I'd give £15

£12 gets me 115 miles (on a hybrid)
    £12 would cover it in terms of mileage, £15 would be needed if there was too much traffic on the way.

Keep in mind £12 accounts for an MPG value of 30 for the shortest route - most cars will get over that.

ReputationRep:
    Wow reading all this makes me think there is something wrong with my W reg 1.3 petrol ford KA, I brought it off a friend as a cheap car to get to and from work which is currently from Oxford to Swindon working out at just under 70 miles round trip, my main car is a 2.5petrol jag and that was just silly money to get to and from each day so I figured buying this car would actually save me a lot of money but it seems to be costing me anywhere between £13-16 per day, basically I put £20 in it and it will get me there and back one day and then sometimes back one way again and at other times I need to fill up at a garage half way there so that is just doing one and a quarter trips but as a general rule it will do three trips, oxford to swindon, swindon to oxford then back to swindon, now I know fuel is quite high at the moment at 120.9 but by what you guys/girls are saying surely that trip should cost me £7-8 maximum so I am baffled as to what could be wrong ?

When I brought the car the back box had fallen off and when I was driving it to a garage to get done the middle section also came off so I paid £120 to have it replaced and fitted by a garage so I know that has been done properly so cant be the exhaust which can often cause less MPG if it is blowing etc but been as though I have had them replaced professionally I can't see that causing it to cost so much and like I said the main reason I brought it was just as a much cheaper alternative to the Jag that literally drinks petrol so I figured this KA would pay for itself over a short period of time.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this KA is costing me so much ? I am only averaging 45-50 for about 50 miles of that trip due to it being the main straight road in with only a few roundabouts to slow down and change gears so I am pretty much just cruising at 50mph which I would of thought would be the cheapest way to use it. Obviously in and out of oxford and swindon it can be stop start with traffic but only for a few miles each end and around 20 minutes of stop starting at most so basically standard driving for any car. Any suggestions to what could possibly be wrong would be welcomed as I am starting to think I made a mistake buying this KA and spending money on double insurance, tax, MOT etc if it is only saving me a small % per day plus it is obviously not as nice to drive as the jag so for what it is costing I might as well travel in comfort. Have I been sold a wreck or could it just be something easy to sort out ? as the car itself seems to drive very well, starts first time in any weather, doesn't overheat or conk out so I am lost here and look forward to hearing back from anyone that can help me out.

Thanks for reading my essay and I only found this place due to asking google the questions so hope I am in the right place.

ReputationRep:
    If your friend is taking you from A to B, and still needs to get back to A (even without you) then you should consider the return journey too.

If someone had me drive them 60 miles, waste 2-3 hours of my day, and then drive home and only expected to cover the fuel cost one-way I'd make sure never to do it again for them. It's unnecessary wear and devaluation (mileage) on the car, you should be willing to compensate them a little more...

ReputationRep:
    I just wondered how much it would cost to pick me up from Stansted airport 7:10pm on saturday and drop to Borehamwood. I got 2 quotes from taxi companies and want to charge around £50. Is that a rip of or a good price.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    About 7 pounds or 8.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.