Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I see so many people using Facebook now a days, but a lot of the people I know who achieve high grades don't even have Facebook accounts! I once was a Facebookaholic and I know they do not let you leave the site very easily ('deactivate', how very deceiving). You sit there for hours and hours and not realising how much time has past. Facebook also taught me the art of procrastination. I see so many people posting silly emosh statuses too which sort of pissed me off, yet i still used it. It was a big problem for me but now I have a solution. (Facebook has an option to delete your account, but you mustn't log in for 2 weeks, which, during that time, you maybe tempted to login. They keep pulling you back because they don't want you to stop using there service). It's quick, it will take about 8-10 minutes. Some of this may seem awkward but hey, atleast you can invest time into studying.

Step 1: Open up notepad, smash random keys until you have about 30-40 letters in one paragraph without spaces/ punctuation marks.

Step 2: 'Ctrl + C' (copy) a section of that paragraph of letters without remembering what letters you chose. (probably about 6-9 characters) (Do not close Notepad just yet).

Step 3: Create a new hotmail account

(Note: while making the hotmail account, as the password of this hotmail account, 'Ctrl + V' (paste) the random letters from Notepad.)

Step 4: Finish off registering the Fake Email account until you finish.

I am going to refer to the email you just made as the 'Fake Email', and your real life email will be 'Your Email'

Step 5: Login to your Facebook account and go to Account Settings > Change Email.

Step 6: Use the Fake Email you just made, - you are one step closer to making the 'Fake Email' the host email account of this Facebook profile.

Step 7: Login to the Fake Email on mail.live.com and you should receive an email confirmation from Facebook providing a link which activates the 'Fake Email' to your Facebook account.

Step 8: Now log back into your Facebook profile using the 'Fake Email'.

Step 9: Now go to Account Settings > Change Email

YOU SHOULD now see two hotmail accounts linked to one Facebook account, (these two emails would be 'The Fake' email and 'Your Email'). Click the 'Remove' button under 'Your Email' account. From now on your Real Life email account will not be affiliated with Facebook.

The Fake email should now be the only hotmail account active on your Facebook. Now for the easy part:

Step 10: go to Account Settings > Change password. Enter your old password and press 'Ctrl + v' into the new password. It will ask you to enter your New Password again, so press 'Ctrl + V' again in the space provided.

Step 11: go to Account Settings > Deactive account

Step 12: It will ask you to confirm deactivation by providing the password to the Facebook account, in this case you should just press 'Ctrl + V' in the space provided. Click Confirm.

Step 13: Close Notepad without looking at the text and close it without saving. :eek3:

You maybe thinking that this is really long and unnecessary and there is an easier way around it, why not just change my password to something I can't remember? you may ask, well.. it's not that easy. Facebooks priority is mind control and they will do whatever it takes to achieve this!

Happy studying! Let me know if you encounter any problems and I will edit. If you have any questions let me know and I will reply asap.

:rofl: Students waste more time on TSR than Facebook

ReputationRep:
    TY OP, the facebooks completely ruined my life and im desperate to get rid of my acc

ReputationRep:
    Time spent on Facebook daily = 10 minutes.

Time spent on TSR daily = 2/3 hours.

Go figure.

ReputationRep:
    or http://www.facebook.com/help/contact...delete_account

But it means you have to stay off it for 2 weeks

ReputationRep:
    you could alternatively try this http://suicidemachine.org/

I'm glad the time you've regained after leaving Facebook has left you to produce such useful pieces of documentation. I applaud you, sir.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    :rofl: Students waste more time on TSR than Facebook
    i spent 30 minutes writing this to benefit other people, which probably saved me hours upon hours of studying time. So I wouldn't say it was a bad thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabriella)
    Time spent on Facebook daily = 10 minutes.

Time spent on TSR daily = 2/3 hours.

Go figure.
    haha this is funny because it was pretty much the other way round for me

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's some dilemma you've got there kiddo.

ReputationRep:
    So in a nutshell, make a fake email account and make it your primary FaceBook account, making sure you can't remember the new password to make sure you can't log in for 2 weeks. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    I've got it.. just don't use it anymore.. prefer to be revising

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnacceptableBehaviour)
    So in a nutshell, make a fake email account and make it your primary FaceBook account, making sure you can't remember the new password to make sure you can't log in for 2 weeks. Sigh.
    well, yes. But there are details such as deleting the real life email which some people may over look. It is quite confusing when you do it first time round, believe it or not. This is my step-to-step guide which saves some of the thinking.

ReputationRep:
    It takes more effort to do that than to stay off facebook for 2 weeks..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O93)
    or http://www.facebook.com/help/contact...delete_account

But it means you have to stay off it for 2 weeks
    i already said this in the guide. 2 weeks is too long for someone who is obsessed with facebook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fragile_Illusions)
    It takes more effort to do that than to stay off facebook for 2 weeks..
    oh really..

ReputationRep:
    TSR is the bane of my life and I only joined last month. There's just something great about trawling through reams and reams of threads detailing insecurity, abortion, clothing disasters, university antics and male pattern baldness. Oh, and my special favourite: should I dump him/her?

ReputationRep:
    I left facebook too.Not because I spend lots of time on it.I don't.
    It's just a stupid way to interact.And the stupidity of facebook users...

Say you post a question: Do you prefer Nokia C7 or Nokia E7?
    Guess what?
    People are just going to Like your status.What the ****?
    Thanks but no thanks.

ReputationRep:
    who ******* cares, why do people who say 'IM GNNA DEACTIVATE FB LOOOL1111' make it look like as if they found a cure for cancer. People should stop taking that **** so seriously

ReputationRep:
    I tried quitting facebook once, but I started using crack as an alternative.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.