Turn on thread page Beta

An uncomfortable situation on the bus toay - What would you do? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThinkingThoughts)
    Hi,

I was on the bus going to work today and there were two little scally lads about age 12-14 when I got on. They weren't causing any problems when I got on but a few stops after a young girl (10-11) of Indian/Pakistan ethnicity got on the bus coming home from school.

The two little scumbags were giving her abuse throughout the journey pertaining entirely to her race. It was quite uncomfortable to see, but it was happening at the front of the bus, the bus was full and I was at the back and I did very nearly confront the two of them but somebody did it before me but that was 10 mins after it started.

Anyway, the guy who confronted him was realy angry (was white if it matters to anyone) and actually clipped the main lad quite forcefully round the ear and acted quite agressively (I personally think that's what they needed they certainly were put in their place) and demanded he apologise to the girl.

This brings up so many issues.

- Why were these kids so bigoted at their age?
    - Why did NOBODY (Including myself) on the bus intervene sooner?
    - Why did I say to myself "Say something" but couldn't?
    - That man could get into some DEEP **** for defending what was right (He did "attack" him). Is that right?

etc.

Thoughts please

It's a social thing, if you were alone on that bus with those 2 bullies and the poor girl then you would deffo have said something

It's called "diffusion of responsibility"

Also check out the "Genovese syndrome".

ReputationRep:
    What would you say of those so quick to judge on the intenets? Calling me Racist and all that. I was disgusted by all this, and compelled to act - but I couldn't. It felt like a locking mechanism. I just couldn't supress it. I very much wanted to defend this young girl, it was like being coherced into non-action by people not present even.

In future I'd like to act.
    We all like to think that we would act in such a situation, I know I would like to think so. I've never been in such a scenario though so I can hardly confirm to definite what I would do.

I wouldn't call you racist at all, research would suggest that such behaviour is evolutionary to humans so it's only natural.

I don't quite understand your last comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
    We all like to think that we would act in such a situation, I know I would like to think so. I've never been in such a scenario though so I can hardly confirm to definite what I would do.

I wouldn't call you racist at all, research would suggest that such behaviour is evolutionary to humans so it's only natural.

I don't quite understand your last comment.
    It was like I felt pressure of non-descript source that didn't exist in retrospect.

ReputationRep:
    It was like I felt pressure of non-descript source that didn't exist in retrospect.
    Oh I see, yeah look-up the bystander effect if your not familiar and see if that rings any bells.

ReputationRep:
    It's all good talking about diffusion of responsibilities and genevese crap, but the fact is that any non average credible people would have done something and not relied on others to do something concerning a racial attack on an innocent child.

ReputationRep:
    Kids can do whatever they want these days, if you smack one or even threaten to discipline one, you'll be mobbed... and if you're seen talking to one for whatever reason, you're automatically a paedophile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damos92)
    It's all good talking about diffusion of responsibilities and genevese crap, but the fact is that any non average credible people would have done something and not relied on others to do something concerning a racial attack on an innocent child.
    So let's be honest.

Not you.

ReputationRep:
    So let's be honest.

Not you.
    I most certainly would have done something, you man pussy. I'm not someone who just has ideals in their head and then rants of to TSR about his inability to act rightly. If you cared so much about it, you would have done something. I see you getting irate and taking swipes at people, self doubt and shame can do that, don't worry, i forgive you. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damos92)
    I most certainly would have done something, you man pussy. I'm not someone who just has ideals in their head and then rants of to TSR about his inability to act rightly. If you cared so much about it, you would have done something. I see you getting irate and taking swipes at people, self doubt and shame can do that, don't worry, i forgive you. :yep:
    I bet you are.

ReputationRep:
    Why were these kids so bigoted at their age?
    This is the trouble with the British working-class. They are blaming immigration for their social and financial concerns. Immigrants are now being used as the scape-goat for working-class failures.
    Children are now being raised to blame British immigrants for every concern inflicted on the family, especially in low-income house-holds.

Why did NOBODY (Including myself) on the bus intervene sooner?
    :rolleyes:

Because you didn't know where to begin, you lacked the self-confidence and the wisdom to intervene promptly, and condemn the children for their poor and narrow-minded nature.

It's rather simple, if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_educated1)
    :rolleyes:

Because you didn't know where to begin, you lacked the self-confidence and the wisdom to intervene promptly, and condemn the children for their poor and narrow-minded nature.

It's rather simple, if you ask me.
    I lacked the confidence, not the wisdom.

ReputationRep:
    Is a 'scally' the same thing as a chav?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sduong)
    Is a 'scally' the same thing as a chav?
    "Scally" is a pre-dominantly Scouse term for Chav but differentiates in the sense that "Scallies" are more abrasive and distinctive (Black, branded tracksuits by default)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was on the bus going to work today and there were two little scally lads about age 12-14 when I got on. They weren't causing any problems when I got on but a few stops after a young girl (10-11) of Indian/Pakistan ethnicity got on the bus coming home from school.

The two little scumbags were giving her abuse throughout the journey pertaining entirely to her race. It was quite uncomfortable to see, but it was happening at the front of the bus, the bus was full and I was at the back and I did very nearly confront the two of them but somebody did it before me but that was 10 mins after it started.

Anyway, the guy who confronted him was realy angry (was white if it matters to anyone) and actually clipped the main lad quite forcefully round the ear and acted quite agressively (I personally think that's what they needed they certainly were put in their place) and demanded he apologise to the girl.

This brings up so many issues.

- Why were these kids so bigoted at their age?
    - Why did NOBODY (Including myself) on the bus intervene sooner?
    - Why did I say to myself "Say something" but couldn't?
    - That man could get into some DEEP **** for defending what was right (He did "attack" him). Is that right?

etc.

Thoughts please
    Nobody cared. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Three words: diffusion of responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    It's a social thing, if you were alone on that bus with those 2 bullies and the poor girl then you would deffo have said something

It's called "diffusion of responsibility"

Also check out the "Genovese syndrome".

Yeah but psychology is in the same ball park as shamanism and devil worship. Basically what it comes down to ,is people just are far too fearful and are taught repeatedly to rely on the Police. They read stories of have a go heroes getting injured or even killed, or in some cases the have a go heroes themselves get punished.

That is just the culture we have now,thanks to years of the welfare state, liberalism infesting our society and a modern media that encourages sheep like behaviour. Most people now are too afraid to stand up for their own rights let alone other peoples.

It is partly why antisocial behaviour is so out of control. Because the litte sh1ts are not challenged enough by members of the public.

ReputationRep:
    I feel for this girl, I would never be able just to sit back and watch something like this happen.
    Plus chavs really get on my nerves!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    I would have followed them home, found out where they live, then when they're walking back to school the next morning I would have got me and my mate to follow one in his white transit van, and when no ones about, put on our ski masks and rush one and throw him into the van. Then we would take him out to a deserted industrial estate and slowly torture him using instruments in my mate's van and film it. We would dispose of the body in a skip then go for the second one.

This time we will show him a video of what happened to his mate just to see his reaction. Then we will torture him slowly and laugh manically whilst doing it That's just me personally.
    Hehehehe. This.

ReputationRep:
    Another option would've been to take out your phone and video them, and then go up to them and say "hey, if you guys carry on I'm gonna record all this and call the police, and then I'm gonna put it on the internet" and just point the camera at them. I think that would have made them hesitate a bit more.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sarsi)
    Those kids have got what is coming to them. Basically they are oblivious to the fact that everybody in the bus is looking down upon them because of their racist taunts. Their intelligence is lacking. They laugh and mock but really: Who in the end has the ultimate damage done against them? Those two boys can stand tall and see themselves as big but really they are only small because they have not learnt respect. They will soon go out to the real world and probably suffer.

In the situation it really isn't as bad as it seems. It is only after the situation we ask why we didn't do something. It is like leaving someone who you haven't met for a long time. When you have left them you ask yourself: Why didn't I do that with them when we had so much free time together?
    I totally agree with you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.