Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm Studying a BTEC National IT and looking to study Computer forensics at a number of places, I'm predicted to receive a DDD from my course, the equivilant of 360 UCAS points. I'm also home studying for AS maths and aiming for a B hopefully.
    The Uni's I'm applying to are:

Gamorgan - Entry of 280 - 300 UCAS points
    Portsmouth - Entry of 260 UCAS points
    Coventry - Entry of 200 UCAS points
    Leeds Met - Entry of 200 UCAS points

What I'm wondering is whether I will really stand a chance of getting in, Considering I screwed up my GCSEs and got 2 C's and 3 D's.

Anyones opinion?

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to add I have an NVQ in Business Studies

ReputationRep:
    why do people on TSR assume that everyone has the answer to every academic related question?

Get on the phone, read the website read their prospectuses, attend open days and ask directly the people who HAVE the answers.

TSR should be your last resort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaperSnowAGhost!)
    why do people on TSR assume that everyone has the answer to every academic related question?

Get on the phone, read the website read their prospectuses, attend open days and ask directly the people who HAVE the answers.

TSR should be your last resort.
    I've been on the phone. read the website and i have their prospectuses. and actually visiting the majority of the universities at this time of year is kind off awkward right now. I was simply curious to know what people might think.
    So excuse me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenny_uk)
    I've been on the phone. read the website and i have their prospectuses. and actually visiting the majority of the universities at this time of year is kind off awkward right now. I was simply curious to know what people might think.
    So excuse me.
    Its not awkward, if it was then there wouldn't be open days at this time of year.

I think if you meet the requirements they want, its fine. Unless the unis specifically say we want x amount of GCSEs at this level then you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Its not awkward, if it was then there wouldn't be open days at this time of year.

I think if you meet the requirements they want, its fine. Unless the unis specifically say we want x amount of GCSEs at this level then you should be fine.
    It's awkward because I live in leeds and It'll cost me around £300 to get there right now, just to leeds and glamorgan.

ReputationRep:
    It's awkward because I live in leeds and It'll cost me around £300 to get there right now, just to leeds and glamorgan.

oh you meant awkward for you... yeah i know this. It costs me a lot to get to the unis im applying to :mad:

ReputationRep:
    oh you meant awkward for you... yeah i know this. It costs me a lot to get to the unis im applying to :mad:
    Well I'm going to apply for those anyway, I'm starting work next month so I'll make the trip down to them when I get some holiday. I'm just going to have to take the chance that they are okay.

ReputationRep:
    Is their no requirement for GSCE's? normal what uni expects is at least B in Maths, and C at English, some may also want 5 A* - C, so i dunno depends on the uni, just send email to admission center, state what qualification you have and will you be accept simple

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylesXD)
    Is their no requirement for GSCE's? normal what uni expects is at least B in Maths, and C at English, some may also want 5 A* - C, so i dunno depends on the uni, just send email to admission center, state what qualification you have and will you be accept simple
    Almost all of them want like 5 at C grade. Which is what I'm worried about. I'm kind of hoping that having a DDD might counter the negative of that slightly

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what the uni asks for. Some will say a C in Maths and English and some will ask for 5 or even more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matti_dude)
    It depends on what the uni asks for. Some will say a C in Maths and English and some will ask for 5 or even more.
    They've all asked for a C in maths. I got a D in it, which is why I'm now doing AS level maths to kind off make up for it.

ReputationRep:
    Almost all of them want like 5 at C grade. Which is what I'm worried about. I'm kind of hoping that having a DDD might counter the negative of that slightly
    Okay i had a look at one of your unis that your applying for

Gamorgan

GCSE: Five at grade C or above, including
    Mathematics and English language

I think you should denfitly send email before applying cause you don't want to waste choices on unis you cant get into

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylesXD)
    Okay i had a look at one of your unis that your applying for

Gamorgan

GCSE: Five at grade C or above, including
    Mathematics and English language

I think you should denfitly send email before applying cause you don't want to waste choices on unis you cant get into
    Yeah I'm in the process of that now. I've only got 4 with the course I want anyway :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm in the process of that now. I've only got 4 with the course I want anyway :P
    hahah at least the email will put your mind at rest :yep:

However you wont get reply until Monday Tuesday

ReputationRep:
    Portsmouth is really quite good... I've got loads of friends who study there... Good Luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliver5084)
    Portsmouth is really quite good... I've got loads of friends who study there... Good Luck x
    Thanks Portsmouth is pretty close to my home town of Brighton so it'd be nice to go back!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    One suggestion is to be a bit higher than that they ask for because that gives you an advantage over those who are weaker but looking at what you said you should be so go for it, don't worry too much about visiting, visit once you have offers to see which you prefer, the internet is a good thing these days. good luck

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.