Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the drinking age limit be increased or decreased! Watch

• View Poll Results: Increased or decreased?
    Increased
    75.00%
    Decreased
    25.00%

ReputationRep:
    I'll start for one. Of course it should be decreased, stop people getting bored and therefore less crime! and less racism :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant reasoning. It's fine the way it is, younger works in countries that don't have binge drinking cultures- it would be a disaster in the UK or Ireland. Increasing seems futile really, 18 is old enough.

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol should be banned. There's no need for it.

ReputationRep:
    It's right as it is, considering many if not most uni students who assume they are mature as they are at uni and left home get plastered anyway yet cant really handle their booze.

ReputationRep:
    alcohol should be legal at any age but there should be a legal age of 16 to purchase it I recon.

Doesn't really make a difference it's not like anyone obeys it anyway I say just make it 16 to purchase and that is it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    I'll start for one. Of course it should be decreased, stop people getting bored and therefore less crime! and less racism :yep:

Lol I kind of agree. I think if they let people go and drink in pubs at say 16, it would get a lot of rowdy teenagers of the streets. eg less crime as you said.
    (lol I nearly wrote grime!)

ReputationRep:
    I think eighteen is about right :dunno:

But twenty one in the USA feels way too old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hart92)
    alcohol should be legal at any age but there should be a legal age of 16 to purchase it I recon.
    And I thought people would have more sense this day and age. With all the alcohol related accident, deaths, problems.

16 year old kids shouldn't have alcohol available to them, that's sick.... 18 is alright.

ReputationRep:
    its too late to ban it, although thats what we should do
    i reckon just keep the age at 18, 16 year olds take the piss with alcohol already and having it more available for them would not be a good idea

ReputationRep:
    do it like the dutch:
    16 for under 15% ABV
    18 for over 15% ABV

it's not like most 16 year olds don't get alcohol in one way or another anyway haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dd4483)
    Alcohol should be banned. There's no need for it.
    This. And what about crimes that are motivated by people drinking alcohol and getting drunk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TWF)
    And I thought people would have more sense this day and age. With all the alcohol related accident, deaths, problems.

16 year old kids shouldn't have alcohol available to them, that's sick.... 18 is alright.
    Yes because at 16 it was impossible to get my hands on alcohol -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animalnitrate)
    This. And what about crimes that are motivated by people drinking alcohol and getting drunk?
    have you learnt nothing from the american prohibition?

ReputationRep:
    18 is fine. 21 is too high, 16 would probably be too low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hart92)
    It is legal to drink at any age. Children are allowed a glass of wine with a meal in restaurants if they are in the company of their parents, for example. The law has always been on the selling of alcohol.

And no, people are barely mature enough to handle alcohol at 18, and that's with "years" of experience behind them so lowering it is just stupid. Increasing it isn't any better. 18 is a good age for it.

ReputationRep:
    18 is right, imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    It is legal to drink at any age. Children are allowed a glass of wine with a meal in restaurants if they are in the company of their parents, for example. The law has always been on the selling of alcohol.

And no, people are barely mature enough to handle alcohol at 18, and that's with "years" of experience behind them so lowering it is just stupid. Increasing it isn't any better. 18 is a good age for it.
    tbh i may being a little bias saying 16 since from my experiences I was definately just as responsible and mature enough to handle alcohol then than at 18.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's ok the way it is. Generally, it means you can drink when starting uni (the case for a lot of but not all people). Minors don't really bother about the legal age though anyway, they still get hold if it somehow, so does it really matter.

ReputationRep:
    It should definatly not be raised. To tell someone who is legally an adult they can't drink is discrimination, plus we are Europeans not Americans.

I think the age should be reduced to 16 (for non-spirits) in pubs. Off licence and spirits should remain 18. That would encourage people to see alcohol as social rather than a way to kill brain cells.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.