Turn on thread page Beta

Should the drinking age limit be increased or decreased! watch

• View Poll Results: Increased or decreased?
    Increased
    75.00%
    Decreased
    25.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Band)
    It should definatly not be raised. To tell someone who is legally an adult they can't drink is discrimination, plus we are Europeans not Americans.

I think the age should be reduced to 16 (for non-spirits) in pubs. Off licence and spirits should remain 18. That would encourage people to see alcohol as social rather than a way to kill brain cells.
    Actually, parents teaching children to drink responsibly would be better. Making use of the fact the law allows them to have a glass of wine with a meal in restaurants is a good way to show them how to drink, for example. There is nothing against children drinking at home under parental supervision.

ReputationRep:
    you can **** a chick, you can drive, you can smoke (consuming, not buying), but you can't drink alcohol?
    doesn't make sense to me tbf

ReputationRep:
    i think it works how it is now. 18. it's not like you can't get it under 18 anyway.. and it stops people going completely mad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    you can **** a chick, you can drive, you can smoke (consuming, not buying), but you can't drink alcohol?
    doesn't make sense to me tbf
    Can drink, can't purchase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel bergmann)
    Lol I kind of agree. I think if they let people go and drink in pubs at say 16, it would get a lot of rowdy teenagers of the streets. eg less crime as you said.
    (lol I nearly wrote grime!)

most of those rowdy teens on the street have a few bottles of vodka between them..

ReputationRep:
    The legal age should be 18, but 16 year olds should be "tolerated" in bars and clubs. This way this keeps kids from binge drinking in parks and being anti-social, as if you lower the legal age you'll get 14 and 15 year olds expecting they should be allowed to drink aswell and trying to pass as 16.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Actually, parents teaching children to drink responsibly would be better. Making use of the fact the law allows them to have a glass of wine with a meal in restaurants is a good way to show them how to drink, for example. There is nothing against children drinking at home under parental supervision.
    I never mentioned at home.

Ofc it's right that parents can decide when the right time to introduce their own children to alcohol is. Less nanny state the better :yep:

ReputationRep:
    the limit should be totally abolished. For people mature enough to want to drink responsibly then there shouldnt be this age prison imposed on them. It makes upper sixth hell for people without fake ID's.

I also propose an alternative system to the current one which would perhaps be more acceptable... on the 1st Sep of your graduation year of sixth form college you should be of legal age to purchase it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there should be a legal age at all *shrugs*. At the end of the day, it should be up to the parents, and children who would rebel against the parents drink anyway, so the drinking age does precisely: nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomInce6666)
    the limit should be totally abolished. For people mature enough to want to drink responsibly then there shouldnt be this age prison imposed on them. It makes upper sixth hell for people without fake ID's.

I also propose an alternative system to the current one which would perhaps be more acceptable... on the 1st Sep of your graduation year of sixth form college you should be of legal age to purchase it.
    You just have to deal with the waiting. My birthday was in July and all it meant was I couldn't go out clubbing and couldn't drink when my friends had parties in halls or wherever, just means when it does happen, it's more special. I also saved a lot of money as well 18 is right, really.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't make a difference what age you put it to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MewMachine)
    You just have to deal with the waiting. My birthday was in July and all it meant was I couldn't go out clubbing and couldn't drink when my friends had parties in halls or wherever, just means when it does happen, it's more special. I also saved a lot of money as well 18 is right, really.
    I disagree. The waiting is fail. Clubbing is better than no clubbing. The age should be abolished.

ReputationRep:
    I would support the age for drinking in licensed premises being lowered to 16. At that age kids want to drink and they will do so. If they have the option of starting their life as an alcohol-consumer in a controlled environment then they are going to be making better decisions that they would be growing up with the culture of drinking in a park. A lot of people that I know were the type that would drink in the park and behave in a very anti-social manner but once they turned 18 a lot of them would just go to the pub where they weren't disturbing the neighbours and were generally less of a nuisance. It's not perfect but I think it would be a lot more realistic than the situation that we are currently in. Likewise I think shops should continue to be very strict about ID'ing people. Having said that I have a lot of European friends that say it is very easy for kids aged 14 or younger to get served in bars and they often go there very early in order to sober up by the time their parents come to collect them. I was totally shocked by this but I guess it does mean that they aren't out on the street drinking and are instead in a safer situation. From a health point drinking at that age is not good but socially I can see benefits.

ReputationRep:
    I kind of like 16 for under 4.5% stuff and 18 for everything else, the 16 year olds are going to drink anyway

ReputationRep:
    Kept the same.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's about right where it is. I mean, people can drink in their home from a younger age, and most people drink before they turn 18 anyway. But it seems silly to me that it's 21 in america. I think 18 is good.

I'd like it to be more relaxed (eg. wine with dinner, casual, enjoying the taste rather than just drinking to get really drunk) but I don't think lowering the age would do that, it's attitudes that need to change and I honestly can't see that happening, and I don't think the government can change that.

With the medical research accepted at the minute, it's not going to get lowered anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Going by the title of your thread OP, the drinking age should be lowered so babies won't die of dehydration and actually survive.

Please phrase the thread title more accurately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dd4483)
    Alcohol should be banned. There's no need for it.
    You know im getting real sick of this "if theres no need, you shouldnt have it", mentality that seems to be increasing in this country. Technically there is no need for a lot of things in life, should they all be banned too? Cmon, the world would be a real bland and ****** place if there had to be a specific "need" for doing/making/owning/using everything.

On topic, i think the current alcohol legislation should just be left well alone. Throwing more legislation at a problem certainly wont work.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with quite a few people here; I believe the legal age to buy alcohol from shops etc should remain at 18, I quite like the idea of clubs and pubs being able to serve 16 year olds. This is, to me, the normal age teenagers start to drink and by introducing this law, it should eradicate some of the anti-social behaviour caused by youngsters forced to drink in parks or on pavements..

ReputationRep:
    Stay the same. Imagine NOT drinking during freshers week!!! :nooo:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.