Turn on thread page Beta

Should the drinking age limit be increased or decreased! watch

• View Poll Results: Increased or decreased?
    Increased
    75.00%
    Decreased
    25.00%

ReputationRep:
    Haha nice to see so many different opinions. But lets be real about this, 16 year olds will drink regardless of an age limit, and the majority of the time, their parent will get if for them. It will lower crime rates, and then the police can concentrate on more cruel crimes instead of underage drinkers whch is ridiculous. They need to get rapists etc... before they start thinking about 16 year olds having a drink and a bit of fun, because the are going to do it regardless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Can drink, can't purchase.
    Technically, you are right you can drink after the age of 5 but, if the shop considers that an adult is buying for a minor, they can refuse so that would mean the minor can't drink. I've had that happen to me many a time even though I was buying for me. Now you can get a fine for doing it (yet it still happens).

The glass of wine thing has actually been abolished but some places still have that law as a loophole allows it (basically if the landlord got the license before it got changed). Very new places will not allow it.

To be honest, it should be lowered. Well I say lowered, you have to be 14 to drink if someone else is buying it but it be limited quantity, 16 to go to the bar with that person but not be able to order it and 18 to order it on your own. Controlled premises where you get kicked out if you are drunk. Simple, it's common sense really!

Also, raise the age in off licenses. That's how the youngsters get their booze. Raise it to 21 in shops and have more severe penalties for those who serve under age people. They are supplying a drug, make that person have a jail sentence. Don't punish the shop just because someone takes a fancy to a 17 year old girl in a low cut top who thinks she looks older than she is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjholland87)
    Technically, you are right you can drink after the age of 5 but, if the shop considers that an adult is buying for a minor, they can refuse so that would mean the minor can't drink. I've had that happen to me many a time even though I was buying for me. Now you can get a fine for doing it (yet it still happens).

The glass of wine thing has actually been abolished but some places still have that law as a loophole allows it (basically if the landlord got the license before it got changed). Very new places will not allow it.
    The loophole hasn't been abolished. I just took a Personal Licence course, so I know. Most places don't allow it because the definition of "meal" is slippery at best and it's exceptionally hard to police. Best just not to let it, really.

You get fined for buying minors alcohol a) because they aren't drinking it with a meal, nor the legally allowed amount and b) they generally aren't their parents.

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol age limit should remain at 18.

For the simple fact that most people mature by the age of 18. Plus it's sort of tactical if you ask me - sneaky on the governments behalf maybe?

There is alot of underage drinking in the UK today - yes. It's because it's perceived as cool and stuff like that. Not going to lie - I did a fair bit myself, not because it was 'cool' but because my mates had some and thought what the hell, you're only young once!

But by the age of 18 you have matured, you sort of think well what's the point in doing on a street? Plus you've matured so you know your limits and your less likely to go past them, or it's physically harder in the human body too without reprecussions. So for those simple facts. Keep it 18.

Ryan.

ReputationRep:
    Age limits and budget alcohol pricing are the last issues requiring change if the country's 'image problem' with drinking is to be overcome. It is quite clear already that age limits alone fail to be a large enough deterrent for young people consuming alcohol. My perception is generally that there are few comebacks for those breaking the law by drinking underage, but the intricacies by which a retailer can be criticised for supplying alcohol to teenagers are many and varied. Retailers certainly have to be responsible and held accountable for their actions, but what will actually deter youngsters is when the initiative is taken to issue large fines or community service to them for underage drinking offences. Confiscating bottles of alcohol and asking them not to do it again forms merely a short term solution, if it can even be called that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    The loophole hasn't been abolished. I just took a Personal Licence course, so I know. Most places don't allow it because the definition of "meal" is slippery at best and it's exceptionally hard to police. Best just not to let it, really.

You get fined for buying minors alcohol a) because they aren't drinking it with a meal, nor the legally allowed amount and b) they generally aren't their parents.
    Ah! I seriously thought it had been abolished. My bad. Explains why very few places allow it though if it's about what is classed as a meal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ActuallyRSE)
    Alcohol age limit should remain at 18.

For the simple fact that most people mature by the age of 18. Plus it's sort of tactical if you ask me - sneaky on the governments behalf maybe?

There is alot of underage drinking in the UK today - yes. It's because it's perceived as cool and stuff like that. Not going to lie - I did a fair bit myself, not because it was 'cool' but because my mates had some and thought what the hell, you're only young once!

But by the age of 18 you have matured, you sort of think well what's the point in doing on a street? Plus you've matured so you know your limits and your less likely to go past them, or it's physically harder in the human body too without reprecussions. So for those simple facts. Keep it 18.

Ryan.
    I think matured isnt the correct word, its more that there isnt the schoolkid mentality of doing it because its not allowed goes and because you get independance.

Almost all people about 18 I know to as old as mid twenties arent that mature in the grand scheme of things, generally people seem to start maturing around 21 and more up to about 25, that doesnt mean you cant be immature over that age or that you will never do anything stupid but the biggest part of maturity has begun hence many people start settling down and go drinking less and start hating loud stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Neither. Increasing it results in more chavs on the streets with cider they nicked off their mum, decreasing it results more chavs drinking full stop.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.