Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    The first harry potter movie, the philosophers stone. It was the first time i've seen harry potter.
    Ohhh, we're all talking about the new one that just came out, 1/8 movies, but don't judge the series by the films, read all the books (it's worth it) then watch the movies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Persia I)
    Ohhh, we're all talking about the new one that just came out, 1/8 movies, but don't judge the series by the films, read all the books (it's worth it) then watch the movies.
    I don't read. :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snavej)
    Yes! This p'ed me off sooo much! Especially when Harry was like "i dont care what happened between you and your brother" i was like what?! You had a real issue with this in the book because you didnt know Albus properly and eeughhh!
    Taking aside the books, the first part of Deathly Hallows went on about Dumbledore not giving him enough information, keeping stuff from him - if they couldn't include it fair enough, but why go to so much trouble of bringing it up in the first part if you won't conclude it in the second part?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goody2Shoes-x)
    Taking aside the books, the first part of Deathly Hallows went on about Dumbledore not giving him enough information, keeping stuff from him - if they couldn't include it fair enough, but why go to so much trouble of bringing it up in the first part if you won't conclude it in the second part?
    They just went for all-out action in the second part which has left 98% of book fans fuming. I felt it could've been done better, but I still liked it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HK1)
    I've not watched the film but I've heard that Neville says he loves Luna and always has in a battle scene. Now if this is true it'll be very annoying it simply wasn't in the books.
    It's true and I totally agree, especially since in an interview (that day in the life thing) JKR said that Neville and Luna don't hook up and said that she made up people for them to go with :mad:

ReputationRep:
    They just went for all-out action in the second part which has left 98% of book fans fuming. I felt it could've been done better, but I still liked it.
    I would tend to agree with you, except the fighting was slightly lame, and repeatitive...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snavej)
    I would tend to agree with you, except the fighting was slightly lame, and repeatitive...
    They went for the action, but didn't execute it properly, I guess maybe it's coz we're all book fans and they were just aiming to make $1b+ from it which they're gonna do anyway seeing as it's HP.

ReputationRep:
    UM HELLO SPOLERS, Plz put it in the title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DdotT)
    UM HELLO SPOLERS, Plz put it in the title.
    Sorry, changed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Exactly. Goblet of Fire, Mad-Eye Moody says, "There's no stopping it. There's no counter-curse". I would've thought that made it plain that you couldn't block it. Yes, I care about those small details because, rather than enjoying a good film, all I could think for so much of the film was 'that's not what happens in the book'.

I don't really mind about when things don't happen the same way as the books. But the whole Harry can suddenly use a shield charm to block Avada Kedavra really annoyed me because it goes against the entire premise of the unforgivableness of the spell. I mean, yeah it kills people, but if you can block it with a simple shield charm it's not all that bad. Really irked me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taigan)
    SPOILER ALERT!!! SPOILER ALERT!!! SPOILER ALERT!!! SPOILER ALERT!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!

I thought it was overall a great film, but what kind of annoyed me was the lack of intensity. Sure, it's good to have SOME humour when things get too serious, but there were times when I felt it was out of place. Voldemort's awkward laughter when he pronounced Harry dead was the worst example of this. It was too comical to take seriously. When Voldemort announced Harry dead, there was also no emotion from the crowd. Sure, they may have been shocked, but then when Voldemort died, there was also no final emotional highpoint. Harry walked back into the castle and people were talking about the most insignificant things, having silly conversations over the ruins of the school and the corpses of their friends and family. Lol, I know I'm being picky but it was so awkward how there was no elation over the victory. Things FLATTENED out... We seemed to forget the fact that Fred, Lupin and Tonks, among many others, DIED!

Other than that, I thought it was a very powerful film. The acting was strong, the interactions between Harry and his parents, Sirius etc. were really moving. Alan Rickman was absolutely FANTASTIC. I never really understood Snape's character from the book, but his death in the movie was terrifying. The whole time he was being attacked, I kept thinking: Harry, that's your teacher, the one who's treated you foully for all these years, but save him! The death was moving because it wasn't played up in any way. No emotional music. Just the thudding of his body against the glass as the snake tore him up. It seemed to take forever.

ANYWAYS, enough being melodramatic! haha, really though, I recommend this movie for fans and non-fans alike It might have its flaws but it marks the end of an era, and it does a fine enough job of letting everyone know why Harry Potter is (one of?) the highest grossing series of all time!
    Absolutely agree, Alan Rickman deserves an award for that role! I cried all through his memories!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    especially when he was crying over Lily's corpse, it was so emotional!

ReputationRep:
    and Voldemort jumping off a cliff .
    You obviously skipped chapter 36 where Harry and Voldemort go bungee jumping in order to patch up their differences.

ReputationRep:
    I think I might have liked it more than Chamber of Secrets. Maybe. I don't know how I feel about it yet. Obviously they didn't have time to put in everything from the books. I totally understand that. But I do feel like if they'd left out some of the lame one-liners (the book is so serious, and this had people giggling most of the way through!) they might have had more time for some of the best parts of the book that were left out. So silly to leave out short but important things, like him fixing his own wand! I have to admit.... and I'm so sorry and feel so guilty about it... that I was kind of pleased with the Neville/Luna thing, even though it wasn't in the books. I always secretly thought they would be adorable together.

I think I might have enjoyed the movie more if I hadn't been sitting two people down from an incredibly obnoxious person. There was this girl who shouted "UGLY!" or groaned every time Ginny was on screen, loudly booed a number of scenes, and shouted "BOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIIIING" when the epilogue came on. I regret not telling her to shut up. People finally started to shush her towards the end, but I really wish she'd been made to leave at the beginning. She only seemed to care about the scenes with Snape (during which she wept loudly). Honestly, if you're so negative about everything but one character, why are you even watching this movie in a theater? So rude.

In all, I feel like they could have done a better job on this last movie, but I'd like to see it again when someone isn't shouting at the screen the whole time. I'm sure it'll seem better then. I'm sad it's over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goody2Shoes-x)
    Exactly! THey didnt think this though did they... They assume people have read the books, so people who havent dont understand!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sorccy)
    I think I might have liked it more than Chamber of Secrets. Maybe. I don't know how I feel about it yet. Obviously they didn't have time to put in everything from the books. I totally understand that. But I do feel like if they'd left out some of the lame one-liners (the book is so serious, and this had people giggling most of the way through!) they might have had more time for some of the best parts of the book that were left out. So silly to leave out short but important things, like him fixing his own wand! I have to admit.... and I'm so sorry and feel so guilty about it... that I was kind of pleased with the Neville/Luna thing, even though it wasn't in the books. I always secretly thought they would be adorable together.

I think I might have enjoyed the movie more if I hadn't been sitting two people down from an incredibly obnoxious person. There was this girl who shouted "UGLY!" or groaned every time Ginny was on screen, loudly booed a number of scenes, and shouted "BOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIIIING& quot; when the epilogue came on. I regret not telling her to shut up. People finally started to shush her towards the end, but I really wish she'd been made to leave at the beginning. She only seemed to care about the scenes with Snape (during which she wept loudly). Honestly, if you're so negative about everything but one character, why are you even watching this movie in a theater? So rude.

In all, I feel like they could have done a better job on this last movie, but I'd like to see it again when someone isn't shouting at the screen the whole time. I'm sure it'll seem better then. I'm sad it's over.
    COs was my favourite one too, I feel obliged to acknowledge this as my favourite for some reason though. I agree, but the Neville bit was necessary to break the tension IMO. People like that shouldn't be allowed in!!

ReputationRep:
    They went for the action, but didn't execute it properly, I guess maybe it's coz we're all book fans and they were just aiming to make $1b+ from it which they're gonna do anyway seeing as it's HP.
    They'd have made much more if it'd be truer to the film! More incentive to go and see it!
    (Again that is)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    I don't read. :pierre:
    Your loss!

(Original post by adam_zed)
    You obviously skipped chapter 36 where Harry and Voldemort go bungee jumping in order to patch up their differences.

LMFAO! Made me LOL!

ReputationRep:
    Meh, it was okay, but after everything she did I thought Bellatrix's comeuppance was pretty rushed. The whole blocking thing felt a bit Star Wars-ish too, the final battle could've been so much more epic if they'd followed the book a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    I don't really mind about when things don't happen the same way as the books. But the whole Harry can suddenly use a shield charm to block Avada Kedavra really annoyed me because it goes against the entire premise of the unforgivableness of the spell. I mean, yeah it kills people, but if you can block it with a simple shield charm it's not all that bad. Really irked me.
    It is like the laser beam thing in sci-fi. OMG ITS SO POWERFULZZZZZ.
    Oh we can just use an invisible shield to stop it.
    :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    Your loss!
    Hardly :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.