Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2 Watch

ReputationRep:
    omg, i hate you all who have seen this film already. hopefully going to see it tommoorw, fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedus)
    omg, i hate you all who have seen this film already. hopefully going to see it tommoorw, fingers crossed.
    I'm going to see it again tomorrow LOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-friends)
    Why was it disappointing?
    I'm going to be watching it end of Nov/early Dec.
    I found Half Blood Prince disappointing because they didn't really add much on, except for the Horcrux mention.
    I don't want to ruin the film so I can't give instances of where it is annoying but I will give you the jist.

Basically, much like the HBP it has a few parts added and a few parts taken away as well as quite a few bits which have been changed. It is a very good FILM, but as an adaptation of the BOOK it is on par with the 5th and 6th book which is to say a bit dissapointing.

However it's not upsetting as you know what you're getting with the HP film series. You know they aren't going to include EVERYTHING because it's not possible so if you go into it expecting a different take on it then it's perfectly acceptable and enjoyable.

I must give one props to a scene with harry and hermione in the tent (nothing dodgy). I won't ruin it but basically it is a scene not included in the book but makes for a fantastic bit of cinema. Very sweet and moving as well as funny.

As a Harry Potter nut i expect 10/10 and received 6-7/10. But as a viewer of a film in a series it's a solid 9/10. Thoroughly enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hampsey83)
    I'm going to see it again tomorrow LOL!
    urgh! hmpf. i wannaa see it.

ReputationRep:
    is there a dudley scene in the movie?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bektas)
    My friend said that they 'hardly' follow the book.

Is this true?
    it is based on the book, it is not an exact copy scene for scene of the book. why is it everyone has such a problem with this?!

ReputationRep:
    Damn you people. I really want to see it (but all my friends aren't interest in hp) lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hampsey83)
    I don't want to ruin the film so I can't give instances of where it is annoying but I will give you the jist.

Basically, much like the HBP it has a few parts added and a few parts taken away as well as quite a few bits which have been changed. It is a very good FILM, but as an adaptation of the BOOK it is on par with the 5th and 6th book which is to say a bit dissapointing.

However it's not upsetting as you know what you're getting with the HP film series. You know they aren't going to include EVERYTHING because it's not possible so if you go into it expecting a different take on it then it's perfectly acceptable and enjoyable.

I must give one props to a scene with harry and hermione in the tent (nothing dodgy). I won't ruin it but basically it is a scene not included in the book but makes for a fantastic bit of cinema. Very sweet and moving as well as funny.

As a Harry Potter nut i expect 10/10 and received 6-7/10. But as a viewer of a film in a series it's a solid 9/10. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Ok, but did you like the way they ended it? It's in two parts so they had to stop half way through.

Watching it tomorrow, can't wait. :nutcase: :wizard:

ReputationRep:
    Snape dies, end of story.

You're welcome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    My whole post is one big spoiler, so please only read if you don't mind knowing what they've changed etc.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I was impressed at how good it was AS A FILM!

And it kinda semi stuck to the book, well about as much as I expected it would. I was quite happy that they still had Bill werewolf-ed and I can see why they couldn't be bothered to disguise Harry at the wedding and Harry and Hermione when visiting Godric's Hollow as it would require more actors etc etc. And the fact they all went straight to the Burrow, fine, less sets to build!

It's always the little things which they could have done which bother me, since when did they go to Shaftesbury Road? It was Tottenham Court Road FOOLS!

Also Harry finds out who RAB is, not Ron.

Where is the painting of Regulus Black?

Why did Dobby reappear with Mundungus? (obv they can't be arsed to develop Kreacher much...)

No showdown between Lupin and Harry at No. 12 Grimauld Place?

The newspaper articles will only make sense if you know the book.

Ron didn't mention going to Shell Cottage when he left them

Why was Harry not more interested in who caused the Doe?

The whole of the scene at the Lovegood's was COMPLETELY WRONG. SO SO SO WRONG. Would it have killed them to make a printing press? To have him lie about his daughter fishing for freshwater plimpies? To have them discuss the likelihood of the reality of the Hallows? To get Harry all excited about the Hallows?!?!?!?!?!?

More will come to me later but that is first impression
    I noticed these bits missing, and I would have liked to see:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Dudley saying goodbye to Harry, an explanation of Dumbledore in the newspapers/book (although I think that will happen in the next part), an explanation of the mirror and more of Snape.
    People who haven't read the book wouldn't have a clue what was going on with Dumbledore in the papers of Grindelwald - but I'm sure this will be a big part of part 2 as I said.

I thought the first scene certainly set the dark tone, very spooky when they killed Charity Burbage, especially with Snape looking on. Loved that bit :-)

Overall, it's my favourite film so far I think, because even though I'm a superfan I can excuse the bits they did change/miss out and I think they dealt with Dobby well
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I welled up at that, so sad :-(
    So overall, fabulous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effyeffyeffy)
    Damn, I need to book tickets quick. I want to see it again ASAP, it was soo good
    I have as yet to see it effyeffyeffy hope to see it tomorrow.I was a little disappointed on the last one as they didnt show professor dumbledore funeral just that he was falling from the tower and such.I seen trailers of this film and it looks fantastic

ReputationRep:
    They cut a lot out and simplified it but in light of the fact that it's part one of the book I think they did really well. There were some pretty sweet touches added aswell.

One has to remember that it is a film, more than just 'a visualised book'. I think the changes they made allowed it to be a very good film, which is a good thing. I don't watch Harry Potter expecting to see everything the book is, I go expecting to see an interpretation of it. It felt more focused and there were some great shots and the main trio, expecially Daniel Radcliffe, have improved their acting.

The dark mood of it, maturity mixed with the odd bit of childish, slapstick or witty humour, helped it find a pretty good balance.
    The ending was powerful, tense and did it's job in leaving us desperate for Part Two.

Great film! ^_^

ReputationRep:
    I am so jealous of you all! Earliest I can see it is Tuesday on my sister's bday but I have an interview the next day :/
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Mo-Amin)
    They cut a lot out and simplified it but in light of the fact that it's part one of the book I think they did really well. There were some pretty sweet touches added aswell.

One has to remember that it is a film, more than just 'a visualised book'. I think the changes they made allowed it to be a very good film, which is a good thing. I don't watch Harry Potter expecting to see everything the book is, I go expecting to see an interpretation of it. It felt more focused and there were some great shots and the main trio, expecially Daniel Radcliffe, have improved their acting.

The dark mood of it, maturity mixed with the odd bit of childish, slapstick or witty humour, helped it find a pretty good balance.
    The ending was powerful, tense and did it's job in leaving us desperate for Part Two.

Great film! ^_^
    Do you not feel the essence of Harry being constantly hunted and the growing strength of Voldermort was lost - people say it felt dark but I didn't really feel it. The scene when Harry was happily walking through the ministry was ridiculous! I don't mind small things being missed from the book, but this was stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Just seen this - i was very impressed, especially after the last two were so disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    Snape dies, end of story.

You're welcome!
    Wrong film.

Film was epic though. I think it was very well put together and makes me anticipate July even more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
    Wrong film.

Film was epic though. I think it was very well put together and makes me anticipate July even more.
    Film?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    You know the man who smelt Hermione? Was that Greyback? 'Cause if it is, he looks different.
    No he wasn't Greyback, but he was :coma:

I actually loved this film, it is obviously very different to the previous films, departing from the school-formula, but my gosh I think the filmmakers did it so well. I just thought it was so stylish, stunning scenery and touching moments between Harry Ron & Hermione in their isolation. Beautiful film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    Film?
    This thread is about the film, so I assumed that's what you were talking about.

If you were talking about the book, everyone's read it by now. :yes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.