Turn on thread page Beta

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hampsey83)
    Couldn't disagree more with the bit in bold. The first four are almost completely true to the books. I would say after the HBP, this is the furthest from the book.
    lol. What films have you been watching? Books and films are two completely different things, and the most annoying thing about the Potter fandom (except Harmony shippers) is the book purists. The important word here is 'adapt'.

But yeah. DH:1 was quite true to the book, more so than the rest. ( except the first two of course)
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Luceria)
    lol. What films have you been watching? Books and films are two completely different things, and the most annoying thing about the Potter fandom (except Harmony shippers) is the book purists. The important word here is 'adapt'.

But yeah. DH:1 was quite true to the book, more so than the rest.
    I agree that there's no point in hating on bits that weren't in the film for the sake of it, but there were definitely bits they left out which, in my opinion, would've added to the movement of the plot (a proper goodbye from the Dursleys, Kreacher's tale, and more voldermort scenes in general).

ReputationRep:
    A dream of mine is other books about the Marauders, or Tom Riddle's story etc.
    That would have been bloody brilliant :awesome:
    Yeh that's the kinda books I would want, I really would love Hogwarts A History

ReputationRep:
    If you read the book, you'll know. It's Horcrux-Riddle showing Ron fake scenes of Harry and Hermione together.
    oh I know I know, I'm a BIG HP fan, I just think they whole "sex" scene was a bit.. unnecessary tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow99)
    Great film. Nice sly dig at Twilight.
    (Original post by mamooshka)
    Sorry that's my odd imagination, y'all are probably right, I think perhaps it's a bit below David Yates to sink to daft popular culture references

I feel like I've polluted this board, back to Harry Potter! Haha.
    It's in the book anyway (before the Twilight craze) so it's not him referring to it :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pensivedore)
    WHAT!!?? how? they didn't miss any important bits, they explained everything pretty well, considering that this was only the first part.
    As a film adaptation of what is a long, full-throttle in depth book it is pretty good. However they miss out several bits and change things that I think were important.

For example, the death eaters knew which was the real Harry because he used 'expelliarmus' not by Hedwig defending him. Secondly, they didn't include anything about Kreacher becoming friendly with them. They didn't stay at Grimmauld place for very long. They didn't talk about 'potterwatch' and hear dean and griphook on the cliffside. They didn't tell griphook to tell Bellatrix that the sword was fake. Harry didn't go to the wedding as Barney Weasley. In the ministry Harry, Ron and Hermione were found because Harry takes mad-eye moody's eye from Umbridge's door. Harry and Hagrid were supposed to crash into Tonks' parents house and Hagrid gets mangled. Ron is supposed to have his Ghoul as a replacement Ron with 'spattergroit'. Harry is supposed to lose his broomstick in the scene with hagrid on the bike. Voldermort is supposed to turn up at Godric's Hollow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    I agree that there's no point in hating on bits that weren't in the film for the sake of it, but there were definitely bits they left out which, in my opinion, would've added to the movement of the plot (a proper goodbye from the Dursleys, Kreacher's tale, and more voldermort scenes in general).
    Of course. There are bits I'm annoyed with myself. Like how they've treated the character of Remus Lupin like rubbish since the third film. He's one of the last links to Harry's parents, he was a father figure, a mentor, a friend.. And in the books they have a much closer relationship. He makes Harry the godfather of his child, Teddy.. and is one of the four people (Sirius, James, Lily, Remus) who walks Harry to his death. He's like family.

And David Thewlis is beyond brilliant and amazing.. I've been rather angry at this since the fifth film. And I had hopes they would have seen sense, especially since they split it. That gave me hope. But alas.. It was better than the two previous ones. But I still have a silly and lingering hope that they'll give him the screentime he deserves in part II. But I admit it's foolish.

See.. there are things I'm annoyed with too :lol:

ReputationRep:
    As a film adaptation of what is a long, full-throttle in depth book it is pretty good. However they miss out several bits and change things that I think were important.

For example, the death eaters knew which was the real Harry because he used 'expelliarmus' not by Hedwig defending him. Secondly, they didn't include anything about Kreacher becoming friendly with them. They didn't stay at Grimmauld place for very long. They didn't talk about 'potterwatch' and hear dean and griphook on the cliffside. They didn't tell griphook to tell Bellatrix that the sword was fake. Harry didn't go to the wedding as Barney Weasley. In the ministry Harry, Ron and Hermione were found because Harry takes mad-eye moody's eye from Umbridge's door. Harry and Hagrid were supposed to crash into Tonks' parents house and Hagrid gets mangled. Ron is supposed to have his Ghoul as a replacement Ron with 'spattergroit'. Harry is supposed to lose his broomstick in the scene with hagrid on the bike. Voldermort is supposed to turn up at Godric's Hollow.
    Merlin's beard. We have found ourselves a book purist. Calm down. You can't expect them to have EVERYTHING. We're LUCKY that they've done such a good job on the film. That they split it in two. It could have been so much worse. Part II is still to come.

ReputationRep:

But yeah. DH:1 was quite true to the book, more so than the rest. ( except the first two of course)
    I accept some things must be changed so it can be made into a film and i don't hate Warner Brothers/Yates/cast for doing so but as someone who adores the books it's sad when a film doesn't do it justice and misses out important details.

Just have to disagree with the bit in bold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh-bang)
    oh I know I know, I'm a BIG HP fan, I just think they whole "sex" scene was a bit.. unnecessary tbh
    It's not a sex scene. They make out naked. Just like in the book.

ReputationRep:
    I accept some things must be changed so it can be made into a film and i don't hate Warner Brothers/Yates/cast for doing so but as someone who adores the books it's sad when a film doesn't do it justice and misses out important details.

I love the books as well, but you need to leave your book purist ways. It will only drive you insane. They can't have everything. And if you don't think the film was very true to the book ,then you need to read it again. Part II is still to come.

ReputationRep:
    Great minds think alike?
    :five:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_123)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I was cringing in my seat when the Harry/Hermione dancing scene took part but as soon as they started dancing it was clearly friendship and fun but ewww I thought they were going to kiss. I did love how sad Hermione was though - I thought Emma played it well

I thought it was cringy at first too, but it was a really lovely scene in the end

ReputationRep:
    I love the books as well, but you need to leave your book purist ways. It will only drive you insane. They can't have everything. And if you don't think the film was very true to the book ,then you need to read it again. Part II is still to come.
    I will try to clear things up without trying to sound like an angry nutjob who is going to write a letter...

I agree it will drive me insane. But that's just me LOL.

I understand and accept fully that they cannot have EVERYTHING otherwise it would be 8 hours long and have boring bits. So I wasn't expecting the book acted out line after line and despite what it might sound like I didn't sit in the cinema, book in hand, scrutinizing every single word change in the film :P

I am looking forward to part 2 very much.

I have read it 5 or 6 times now and I don't need to read it again. I disagree, it doesn't follow the book as closely as some others but I would say it is better than HP 5 & 6.

With regard to the other post when I stated all the things I thought were missing I think what's slightly annoying is that 90% of those things could be added in quite easily really.

For example the whole 'expelliarmus OMG that's the real harry thing' would only take two lines of script to include. Point is you could add in the majority of this fine detail with relative ease without detriment to the film which as an adaptation of a fantastic book I think should have happened. If they agree to take on a classic I would have thought it worth it to include the fine details which make it so great.

ReputationRep:

Importnat details are objective though. TBH all this whinging that "it wasn't true to the book" or whatever is irritating and childish. You have the books and you imaginations, watch the films for what they are and let the books fill in the blanks.

As my friend said yesterday reading the books and watching the films is a bit like reading an article in The Guardian and then reading the same article in the Sun. They both do the job but they feel the need to present things a little differently to interest their target audiences.

Lets be honest this part of the story is essentially "the camping trip that went horribly wrong" and the better half is yet to come

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was pretty good, but not as good as the previous one and the ending was really irritating. I hate cliffhangers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    :love:

Yeah and look where that got him...

ReputationRep:
    I will try to clear things up without trying to sound like an angry nutjob who is going to write a letter...

I agree it will drive me insane. But that's just me LOL.

I understand and accept fully that they cannot have EVERYTHING otherwise it would be 8 hours long and have boring bits. So I wasn't expecting the book acted out line after line and despite what it might sound like I didn't sit in the cinema, book in hand, scrutinizing every single word change in the film :P

I am looking forward to part 2 very much.

I have read it 5 or 6 times now and I don't need to read it again. I disagree, it doesn't follow the book as closely as some others but I would say it is better than HP 5 & 6.

With regard to the other post when I stated all the things I thought were missing I think what's slightly annoying is that 90% of those things could be added in quite easily really.

For example the whole 'expelliarmus OMG that's the real harry thing' would only take two lines of script to include. Point is you could add in the majority of this fine detail with relative ease without detriment to the film which as an adaptation of a fantastic book I think should have happened. If they agree to take on a classic I would have thought it worth it to include the fine details which make it so great.

The first two followed the books very closely (obviously).. Prisoner of Azkaban didn't really that much, but it very much had the spirit and soul of the book... Goblet of Fire is the longest book, I think? Or maybe that's Order of the Phoenix. And it was chopped down heavily. Same with Order of the Phoenix .Half Blood Prince is also quite different. So yes, DH was better than 4, 5 and 6 in that sense.

And yes, I do agree about some of those things. Some of the changes don't really make any sense, but I guess it's something we have to live with. Hedwig sacrificing herself was a good idea, I think. All in all, it was very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Importnat details are objective though. TBH all this whinging that "it wasn't true to the book" or whatever is irritating and childish. You have the books and you imaginations, watch the films for what they are and let the books fill in the blanks.

As my friend said yesterday reading the books and watching the films is a bit like reading an article in The Guardian and then reading the same article in the Sun. They both do the job but they feel the need to present things a little differently to interest their target audiences.

Lets be honest this part of the story is essentially "the camping trip that went horribly wrong" and the better half is yet to come
    LOL. Curious you should say that actually as me and my friend were having the same argument the other day.

His argument was 'watch the film and read the book for the other details' and I argued the opposite. Very interesting argument indeed.

And I take your point about the article thing but that essentially means that they 'dumbed down the book (guardian)' and made it into a movie 'the sun' which is a bit sad really as something as brilliant as the harry potter series shouldn't be dumbed down just to please the cinemas.

I hate to disgrace this forum with the 'T' word but it happened to Twilight. Fantastic series of books that were dumbed down to pretty bad films which do the books no justice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.