Turn on thread page Beta

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am looking forward to it a lot!

I am thinking 2D probably, but not sure.

I'm hopeful they won't miss much since there will be 2 films, but they do have a habit of changing things even though it doesn't save time occasionally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArtichoke)
    haha so true i must have watched this 20 times now

still makes me laugh.
    :lol: One of my fav movies!

Looking forward to the movie. I personally loved the book although some people thought there were plot holes.

ReputationRep:
    Given how bad the previous few have been, I'm not optimistic. Still, I hope I'm wrong. I'm also not a massive fan of 3D in general and can't see this doing brilliantly with it - it wasn't necessary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrannosaurus Cal)
    I genuinely think it could be done so well, as a school drama (with magic) rather than a Christmassy baubley Victorian fest.

There's so many little things I'd want to see in, like Ginny actually having a personality, and the films actually including recognisable dialogue and scenes from the books...
    I absolutely agree. The films have almost cheapened it by trying to turn it into - as you say - a Christmassy baubley Victorian fest.

Plus, I think as they started making films prior to all the books being out, they've been forced to miss out aspects that resurface importantly later on when making the earlier films.

Some better actors wouldn't hurt either (well, for the main trio anyway - Snape, original Dumbledore, Hagrid, McGonagall and a few others were cast really well).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Looking forward to them :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Some better actors wouldn't hurt either (well, for the main trio anyway - Snape, original Dumbledore, Hagrid, McGonagall and a few others were cast really well).
    Agreed, I'm fed up of some of the awful acting, especially with the extras, the Weasley twins, Ginny, Percy, Seamus... when there's young talent like Thomas Turgoose in the country, why is the biggest film franchise in British history filled with such absolute douches?

Two things I hate in the films (and I think they're both in Azkaban which is sad because it's the best film) are:

Ron keeping his hand against the window of the train like a **** when it turns into ice. Looks stupid.

A kid waving inanely as the Hogwarts Express leaves the station. Despite the fact that the train has gone the length of the platform, they keep on waving. WHO ARE YOU WAVING AT

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, I'm fed up of some of the awful acting, especially with the extras, the Weasley twins, Ginny, Percy, Seamus... when there's young talent like Thomas Turgoose in the country, why is the biggest film franchise in British history filled with such absolute douches?
    Wonder how many sets of ginger identical twins there are? :p:

Two things I hate in the films (and I think they're both in Azkaban which is sad because it's the best film) are:

Ron keeping his hand against the window of the train like a **** when it turns into ice. Looks stupid.

A kid waving inanely as the Hogwarts Express leaves the station. Despite the fact that the train has gone the length of the platform, they keep on waving. WHO ARE YOU WAVING AT

Sorry.
    Haha. They're two things I barely noticed.
    I can't stand Gambon as Dumbledore. He's just so bad at it. Refuses to read the books because he wants to play Dumbledore with his own unique inflection. Yes, fair enough, but it's a character based on the ******* book series - at least understand your own character

Another thing is how Hagrid's hut moves. In the first few (first two I think) films, his hut's in a different place to the films after. Bad stuff.

I'm here at 00:08 on Friday night (Saturday morning, pedants) talking about my least favourite things about the Harry Potter films

ReputationRep:
    I think this one looks like it's gonna be pretty good, though I usually dislike the films. I loved the 7th book though.

ReputationRep:

I can't stand Gambon as Dumbledore. He's just so bad at it. Refuses to read the books because he wants to play Dumbledore with his own unique inflection. Yes, fair enough, but it's a character based on the ******* book series - at least understand your own character

Another thing is how Hagrid's hut moves. In the first few (first two I think) films, his hut's in a different place to the films after. Bad stuff.

I'm here at 00:08 on Friday night (Saturday morning, pedants) talking about my least favourite things about the Harry Potter films
    I also hate the way that the twins speak at the same time. Oh yes, all twins do that. Is that in the books? No it is not. In the books they're genuinely funny; in the films I want to judo-chop them in the throat.

It's friday night? I had no idea, I was too busy thinking about Harry Potter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fidelity_blue)
    I like how they're including the mirror Sirius gave him.
    Oh but wait, did you ever mention that in the fifth film when you should have? NO. NO, YOU DID NOT.
    Haha I noticed that they excluded stuff in the 5th book which is relevant to the seventh :p:

I will not be seeing this in 3D
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The one series of films that have gotten better with each sequel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    The one series of films that have gotten better with each sequel
    Really? I thought they got progressively worse, culminating in the sixth film which was a debacle. The seventh doesn't look too bad to be honest, however I don't know how they're going to do certain scenes because of the deviations from the book in previous films.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Really? I thought they got progressively worse, culminating in the sixth film which was a debacle. The seventh doesn't look to bad to be honest, however I don't know how they're going to do certain scenes because of the deviations from the book in previous films.
    If they carried on as they did from the first it would have been to light hearted and cheesy they got darker as the main characters matured which is good.

ReputationRep:
    It was by far the best book and hopefully going to be the best film, can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    i can wait for this to come out

there can be changes ofcourse but will i like it we have to see

appparently his owl doesnt die

ReputationRep:

Identical twins, hair dye.

Michael Gambon is an absolute prick as Dumbledore. He says he doesn't want to read them because it would ruin the illusion of the series. I think what he doesn't realise is he's played it completely wrong for so many people who were huge fans of the books. Take Alan Rickman for example, he succeeds because he plays so closely to the character Severus Snape from the books. Take this for example. Just so many things he does wrong. Also I refuse to believe he can justify the accent. Part of me thinks he just isn't taking the role seriously enough and can't be arsed to read the books.

Also something else just came to me
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The first scene in HBP, where Harry hits on some girl in a train station
    Why add that if you have to take out other key elements from the book? It adds nothing but a totally ridiculous angle of Harry. He has no time for girls, that's related through the telling of
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Harry and Ginny in the book when he breaks up with her at the end of the book.

I hadn't actually realised it was Saturday until you mentioned it

(Original post by Aj12)
    If they carried on as they did from the first it would have been to light hearted and cheesy they got darker as the main characters matured which is good.
    That wasn't my problem with the films. Some things did need to be changed to make it a decent film. In the books they got very dark after the fifth book, somewhat more light hearted in the sixth book. But you get my drift.
    The fifth film was actually reasonably well done, could have been better but it was ok.
    Cheesy? Ginny tying Harry's shoes? Cringy was just unnecessary

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait for this =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Actually, rewatching that trailer again, does anyone else get the feeling it wants to be Lord Of the Rings? The wizard tumbling to his death, the marching over the mountains to a suitably epic score, the fight in the words (just replace wands with Boromir)...
    I did! I kind of came to the slightly disquieting conclusion while watching the trailer that HP is pretty much just a cross between Twilight and LOTR with a dash of added "public school".

ReputationRep:
    I think they give away too much in the trailer. We all know what happens, sure, but I don't want to see some of the more intense scenes - Harry at his parents' graves, when he thinks he's about to die etc - until I actually see the movie!

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely think it could be done so well, as a school drama (with magic) rather than a Christmassy baubley Victorian fest.

There's so many little things I'd want to see in, like Ginny actually having a personality, and the films actually including recognisable dialogue and scenes from the books...
    The problem is, the only way you could make it properly would be to have a huge budget (to get the acting talent, sets and special effects that the story not only deserves but needs) and the only way for TV to get such a large budget would be to move it to America. And America would ruin it - they'd design it by committee, overproduce it to farcical heights, and probably include things like cheerleaders.

It's a fine idea, but in practice I can't see how it would ever work.

Snape, original Dumbledore, Hagrid, McGonagall and a few others were cast really well.
    Not to mention the casting of Bellatrix. Nobody else in the world could do that role like Helena Bonham Carter can, and she clearly loves it.

(Original post by Arekkusu)
    I did! I kind of came to the slightly disquieting conclusion while watching the trailer that HP is pretty much just a cross between Twilight and LOTR with a dash of added "public school".
    Phew, I was beginning to wonder if I was imagining things. :p:

I think it looks far too much like it's trying to ape other things and ride on their coat-tails to success, almost as if it's afraid to carve out it's own originality because it might not have been a success that way. If only they'd have gotten a filmmaker like Del Toro involved, this film could have been so much more.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.