Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Scout.)
    Hmmm. The film was ok, good but a little too long for my liking. I'm also dissapointed at the lack of Draco Malfoy in this film :sexface:
    Cringe at the fact that I cried when Dobby died...
    long movies are good movies.

i liked the way that this was done in 2 parts, it allows for it to be more intense as there isn't all the crap at the end when everything is resolved, it stops nicely in the action.

It might be just me, or because I read the book a long time ago, but was the entire "Ministry of Magic = Nazis" theme played up far more in teh film?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    :coma:

Tom riddle's my favourite character, before he turned in to voldemort, that is..

ReputationRep:
    I found the whole Harry/Hermione kissing half naked or whatever thing really strange :lolwut: it just wasn't.. right. I understand that that's what Ron fears but gawwd why were they topless and shizz :sigh: was far too sexualised and awkward. I like the film though!! Good ending point tooooo hmmm! Last one is gonna be quite sad :sad:

I have read the last book so was expecting some of the stuff but still Hedwig :cry2: DOBBY :bawling: Oh man, the woman in the cinema sat behind me was wailing soooooo loudly she was going mad crying for ages, became a bit funny after a while :o:

For anyone who has read the book, I have a question (I think I've forgotten parts of the last book):
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Harry is one of the horcruxes, right? How does his 'destruction' or whatever actually happen, seeing as all of the horcruxes need to be destroyed ? I can't remember but it seems odd that he will stay alive even though they al need to be destroyed to kill voldyyy

ReputationRep:
    Saw it today. Don't really know what to make of it... When it was good, it was very good; however, when it was bad, (and there were long stretches of sad looks in forests) it was really bloody awful.

Best part, IMO:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    When you saw that Bellatrix had carved the word 'Mudblood' into Hermione's arm. Very moving, I thought.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I found the whole Harry/Hermione kissing half naked or whatever thing really strange :lolwut: it just wasn't.. right. I understand that that's what Ron fears but gawwd why were they topless and shizz :sigh: was far too sexualised and awkward. I like the film though!! Good ending point tooooo hmmm! Last one is gonna be quite sad :sad:

I have read the last book so was expecting some of the stuff but still Hedwig :cry2: DOBBY :bawling: Oh man, the woman in the cinema sat behind me was wailing soooooo loudly she was going mad crying for ages, became a bit funny after a while :o:

For anyone who has read the book, I have a question (I think I've forgotten parts of the last book):
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Harry is one of the horcruxes, right? How does his 'destruction' or whatever actually happen, seeing as all of the horcruxes need to be destroyed ? I can't remember but it seems odd that he will stay alive even though they al need to be destroyed to kill voldyyy
    Spoiler:
    Show
    harry does semi die (the chapter set in king's cross station shows harry at point where he can either move "on" or return back to real world). The part of voldemort's soul was destroyed when voldemort tried to kill him. I don't think it was fully explained why Harry did not fully die, I know Harry asks Dumbledore why he is alive because he had the intention of dying, and Dumbledore says he thinks that made all the difference, so I guess maybe just as the master of death is supposed to accept his own mortality, maybe in doing that harry was the master of death (as well as having control of all 3 hallows) thus did not fully die??

(Original post by mel0n)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Voldemort - killing curse destroys the detached horcrux whilst Harry stays alive due to Voldemort using his blood to come back (essentially meaning he is protected from any harm from Voldemort)

(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't think it was fully explained why Harry did not fully die, I know Harry asks Dumbledore why he is alive because he had the intention of dying, and Dumbledore says he thinks that made all the difference, so I guess maybe just as the master of death is supposed to accept his own mortality, maybe in doing that harry was the master of death (as well as having control of all 3 hallows) thus did not fully die??

Spoiler:
    Show
    It was sort of explained. In taking Harry's blood when returning, Voldemort ensured that he could not cause Harry any harm in future.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Voldemort - killing curse destroys the detached horcrux whilst Harry stays alive due to Voldemort using his blood to come back (essentially meaning he is protected from any harm from Voldemort)

Spoiler:
    Show
    It was sort of explained. In taking Harry's blood when returning, Voldemort ensured that he could not cause Harry any harm in future.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ahhh yeah, mother's protection and all that shizzle, also couldn't it be something to do with the elder wand being unable to kill it's true master?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Think of it this way. Voldemort created a horcrux (detached part of his soul) within Harry by accident. And whilst this is not true - Harry created his "own Horcrux" within Voldemort when the latter took his (mother-protected-sacrifice) blood to return. They both, whilst alive, had tethers keeping them allowing them to survive a "death".

ReputationRep:
    I finally got to watch it today and it was awesome !!

(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ahhh yeah, mother's protection and all that shizzle, also couldn't it be something to do with the elder wand being unable to kill it's true master?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    But the killing curse was still cast and at Harry. But yeah, you are probably right. It went for Voldemort's soul rather than Harry himself. It seems to do that (do something without harming the true master). The Cruciatus Curse lifted Harry physically but it did not actually harm him.

Hm, it's hard to say which plays the greater role: being master of the wand or the protection of his mother inside Voldemort. :iiam:

But also

Spoiler:
    Show
    Harry wanted to die. The wand does its master's will. So maybe the killing curse was successful and the mother's protection inside Voldemort did the rest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Susant)
    It might be just me, or because I read the book a long time ago, but was the entire "Ministry of Magic = Nazis" theme played up far more in teh film?
    In the book there is that stature made up of dead muggles, they make all of those leaflets warning against muggles, and anybody who is muggle born is called to questioning. I think it's pretty true to the book :yep:

(Original post by mel0n)
    It's very similar in the book just without the nakedness :P

Spoiler:
    Show
    "Who wouldn't prefer him, what woman would take you, you are nothing, nothing, nothing to him," crooned Riddle-Hermione, and she stretched like a snake and entwined herself around Riddle-Harry, wrapping him in a close embrace: Their lips met.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Susant)
    I think there's a fairly firm connection in the book too. If not more so.

ReputationRep:
    I saw the movie last night...i thought it was really good (so much better than the Half-Blood Prince)

I haven't read the book, but I was told who dies. Dobby's death was quite sad I love Dobby, especially when he says something along the lines of, "Dobby doesn't want to kill, he only wants to mane or seriously injure." :lol:

It seems that this film was a lot funnier compared to the previous ones., especially Ron!

Do you think that there was quite a lot a sexual innuendos, etc in this film??

(Original post by ScottishShortiex)

Try replacing all instances of "wand" with "willy" in both the books and films.

:teehee:

"Thirteen and a half inches...Powerful willy, very powerful, and in the wrong hands..."

"Willys are only as powerful as the wizards who use them. Some wizards just like to boast that theirs are bigger and better than other people's."

"Lucius Malfoy stood for a moment, and Harry distinctly saw his right hand twitch as though he was longing to reach for his willy."

"He raised his own willy, attempted a complicated sort of wiggling action and dropped it. Snape smirked as Lockhart quickly picked it up, saying, 'Whoops -my willy is a little over-excited'."

"Voldemort raised his willy. His head was tilted to one side,
    like a curious child, wondering what would happen if he proceeded.
    Harry looked back into the red eyes, and wanted it to happen now,
    quickly, while he could still stand, before he lost control"

(Original post by ily_em)
    In the book there is that stature made up of dead muggles, they make all of those leaflets warning against muggles, and anybody who is muggle born is called to questioning. I think it's pretty true to the book :yep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I think there's a fairly firm connection in the book too. If not more so.
    I probably forgot then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottishShortiex)
    10 inches, nothing special

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of sexual innuendos in the books as well as the films

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbys sock)
    There's a lot of sexual innuendos in the books as well as the films
    Time for a reread I think :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)

Spoiler:
    Show
    I didn't. They followed the book. That make out scene was in the book. (naked and all) It was exactly like it should be. And when Voldemort tried to kill Harry, he only killed the Horcrux that was a part of Harry. The bit of Voldemort's soul.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.