Turn on thread page Beta

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    You mean IF they make it all work
    Haha. True.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    I think, since Harry was playing with the mirror, they might have Aberforth working together with Snape? It's a strange idea. But the only one I can think of. The Mirror of Erised is definitely not involved.

If Harry had used the mirror in Order of the Phoenix, he could have talked with Sirius. And he wouldn't have died. Sucks!

Haha, indeed. The last few films have definitely not been for "casual fans.".. But for the book readers. (which is the way it should be)
    Why may I ask do you feel the need to bash Twilight in your sig? You know from what i've noticed, a lot of the immaturity comes from the Harry Potter fans because they feel the need to tear the Twilight saga to bits.....do they really feel that threatened.

I fail to see why people continuously feel the need to compare the two when they are both completely different stories.

I may also add that Twilight is also about courage, loyalty, friendship and bravery. I love how the Harry Potter fans deliberately fail to acknowledge this. I myself am a fan of both so I hold no grudge with either, but it pisses me right off when people feel the need to bash the other rather than focus attention on the one they love. I've followed Twilight for years now and i've yet to come across a fan who starts the whole vs debate.

Despite saying all that. I like the stuff in your spoiler sig :yep:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    Why may I ask do you feel the need to bash Twilight in your sig? You know from what i've noticed, a lot of the immaturity comes from the Harry Potter fans because they feel the need to tear the Twilight saga to bits.....do they really feel that threatened.

I fail to see why people continuously feel the need to compare the two when they are both completely different stories.

I may also add that Twilight is also about courage, loyalty, friendship and bravery. I love how the Harry Potter fans deliberately fail to acknowledge this. I myself am a fan of both so I hold no grudge with either, but it pisses me right off when people feel the need to bash the other rather than focus attention on the one they love. I've followed Twilight for years now and i've yet to come across a fan who starts the whole vs debate.

I've come across many.

The reason they are compared is because they are the two hugest phenomena that gripped our generation and also are both about teenagers and some kind of mystical being.

I would also say Twilight is much less about courage, loyalty and bravery than Harry Potter as it's focus is on the relationship between Bella and Edward, and Bella and Jacob. I'm not saying this is wrong, or diminishes the book, just that it is essentially different to Harry Potter.

For me, Harry Potter is a much better book, better written, more captivating and with so many subtle nuances in comparison to Twilight. However I did read Twilight and enjoy it...but wouldn't have it being read to me every night by Stephen Fry while I fall asleep like I do with Harry Potter.

I know it wasn't me you were quoting, but just adding my two cents
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aaron.F)
    Wow, same way I fall asleep, too!
    It's the best way to fall asleep =D Then the next night I go back to the last thing I remember before falling asleep and listen from there.

ReputationRep:

Just because I don't agree with something, doesn't make me immature. There is a lot of truth to my sig, in my opinion (and yes, I've read the Twilight books). No. I do not feel threatened. Not going to have a huge discussion on HP & Twilight. It has been done to death. I don't agree, and I'm not failing to realise anything. But fine. You have your opinion, I have mine. The end. And yes, I've seen a lot more immaturity from Twilight fans.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I've come across many.

The reason they are compared is because they are the two hugest phenomena that gripped our generation and also are both about teenagers and some kind of mystical being.

I would also say Twilight is much less about courage, loyalty and bravery than Harry Potter as it's focus is on the relationship between Bella and Edward, and Bella and Jacob. I'm not saying this is wrong, or diminishes the book, just that it is essentially different to Harry Potter.

For me, Harry Potter is a much better book, better written, more captivating and with so many subtle nuances in comparison to Twilight. However I did read Twilight and enjoy it...but wouldn't have it being read to me every night by Stephen Fry while I fall asleep like I do with Harry Potter.

I know it wasn't me you were quoting, but just adding my two cents
    Ah well that's ok if you have (though personally I haven't). I'd say the same argument to them of course - I think it's unnecessary to compare the two. Both have a very passionate fanbase. I don't understand why people feel the need to bash the other. It's not so much the comparison that irritates me. More the immaturity of the comments made. And also how they seem to only focus on the negative things.

I agree with you. It is very much less about courage and loyalty. But those factors are still present. But 'haters' fully focus on how its appalling and ignore the good things (and lets face it, there are good qualities in each).

Again I agree with you. Harry Potter is a much better written book and more enchanting. I am a huge Twilight fan, but not for one second do I think it's a well written book. I think the terminology used is very repetitive and simplistic, but I love it nonetheless.

Having said that, i'm also a huge Harry Potter fan. So i'm really unbiased either way.

ReputationRep:
    Just because I don't agree with something, doesn't make me immature. There is a lot of truth to my sig, in my opinion (and yes, I've read the Twilight books). No. I do not feel threatened. Not going to have a huge discussion on HP & Twilight. It has been done to death. I don't agree, and I'm not failing to realise anything. But fine. You have your opinion, I have mine. The end. And yes, I've seen a lot more immaturity from Twilight fans.

Thanks.
    I think the comparison is immature. It's just one example of many that i've seen. Though my comment wasn't fully based on just your sig, I was also commenting about the Twilight haters (some Harry Potter fans) in general, whether or not you fall into that category I don't know. From your sig i'd say yes. From your comment i'd say no.

There is also no need to get nasty. I wasn't trying to be horrible, just raise my opinion on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    I think the comparison is immature. It's just one example of many that i've seen. Though my comment wasn't fully based on just your sig, I was also commenting about the Twilight haters (some Harry Potter fans) in general, whether or not you fall into that category I don't know. From your sig i'd say yes. From your comment i'd say no.

There is also no need to get nasty. I wasn't trying to be horrible, just raise my opinion on the matter.
    I don't think it's immature. But fine, like I said. Believe what you want. I'll have my opinion. I'm not going to sit here and argue who is the most immature. Rather pointless. I dislike Twilight, and I could write many pages on what is wrong with it .
    And that's that.

I wasn't being nasty either. Now let's just move on and talk about Harry Potter instead.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Aaron.F)
    Exactly the same! I find that I remember some bits and don't remember others, though. Must be falling in and out of sleep.
    Yeah! Worst is suddenly snapping awake when Myrtle screams "MURDER, MURDER IN THE BATHROOM" in book 6, scares the hell out of me each time!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! Worst is suddenly snapping awake when Myrtle screams "MURDER, MURDER IN THE BATHROOM" in book 6, scares the hell out of me each time!
    Haha. I've never listened to the audio books. Audio books make me fall asleep quite quickly. Though I do love Stephen Fry.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Haha. I've never listened to the audio books. Audio books make me fall asleep quite quickly. Though I do love Stephen Fry.
    That's why I listen to them, help me drop right off! Apart from in gripping parts...then I can't help but stay awake!

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried the Jim Dale versions? I first listened to him reading them so it's kind of him who has stuck with me. Although he's Welsh centaurs in the first book are hilarious!

On a different note, I have a question to all of you who are unsatisfied by the adaptation of the book. Do you really want it to be completely faithful?? I mean film 1 and 2 were a lot more faithful than the newest films but everyone hates them, finds them boring etc. The newer films are much more filmic and therefore a better adaptation, would you not agree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piece)
    Have you tried the Jim Dale versions? I first listened to him reading them so it's kind of him who has stuck with me. Although he's Welsh centaurs in the first book are hilarious!

On a different note, I have a question to all of you who are unsatisfied by the adaptation of the book. Do you really want it to be completely faithful?? I mean film 1 and 2 were a lot more faithful than the newest films but everyone hates them, finds them boring etc. The newer films are much more filmic and therefore a better adaptation, would you not agree?
    I don't hate the first two. I loved them when I was 10 and 11. And they were meant for kids my age then. But I'm a little annoyed by Chamber of Secrets. It could have been a lot better if they just had cut some scenes and edited it a little better.
    They cut a Tom Riddle scene damn it (pretty sure)

ReputationRep:
    Ok, hate was a little strong there but had to get my point across :P
    So now you say that they should have cut some of chamber of secrets whereas the general consensus is annoyance when scenes are cut?

(ps - not having a go, just looking for opinions as i'm doing research on this topic.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piece)
    Ok, hate was a little strong there but had to get my point across :P
    So now you say that they should have cut some of chamber of secrets whereas the general consensus is annoyance when scenes are cut?

(ps - not having a go, just looking for opinions as i'm doing research on this topic.)
    Chamber of Secrets was a little too "faithful". Yes I know it's sound silly saying that. But it's a slow at some parts, and some scenes drag. They could have cut several of the scenes, and added many more interesting ones.

Like Draco and Lucius in Borgin and Burkes should have been included. But they put it in deleted scenes.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Piece)

I personally find the books tend well to films if they were done well. But at the start of the series, the acting was a bit wooden, and 1 and 2 were only faithful to the books in that they followed key plot events (as they were able to because the books were shorter) whereas they missed little subtle nuances which in my opinion made the books so enchanting and thus weren't great films.

I have nothing against the latter films as films themselves. Merely I believe that they could have done so much better by following the books further (especially in terms of continuity!)

(Original post by Piece)
    Ah, the dilemma of choosing between Dale and Fry. I've listened to both, and they're both great but distinct. Jim Dale can do countless voices, he has a unique and convincing voice for each and every character - which is brilliant. But his tone is a little slow and, dare I say, dull. Stephen Fry is so much more lively. You can feel the enthusiasm when he reads, but his range of character voices is extremely limited. They all sound more or less the same, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video....64312&comments

Sneak Peak for Deathly Hallows Part 2 :'( I said I was only going to watch the trailer but I wasn't strong enough.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Thoughts: FHJSDFGHJGHFKD FRED :'( Is that Godric's Hollow that Snape is at? FREDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbys sock)

Sneak Peak for Deathly Hallows Part 2 :'( I said I was only going to watch the trailer but I wasn't strong enough.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Thoughts: FHJSDFGHJGHFKD FRED :'( Is that Godric's Hollow that Snape is at? FREDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD :'(
    Who is that man screaming at 0:24?

Voldemort?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbys sock)

Spoiler:
    Show
    Thanks for posting

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.