Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    The 3D in our film didn't work at first and they had to start it over again xD That was annoying!

Anyways, the atmosphere was great (we all cheered for Molly Weasley!), I liked the humour and I thought Snape's memories were dealt with well and I really enjoyed it. However, I was reaaaaally annoyed about Ron and Hermione's kiss because it's one of my favourite moments in the books where he's concerned about the houselves and then she throws herself across the room at him. The two of them kissing after doing something dangerous isn't good enough because they've been in danger about a bazillion times before and never kissed- they needed the little extra push and it wasn't there. Also thought the deaths of Fred and Tonks and Lupin weren't dealt with enough. I cried my eyes out when Dobby died and I thought they would get a little more emotion too.
    Also hated the epilogue (WTF was with Ginny's hair!?) but I hated it in the book too so that's ok.
    I was disappointed with the kiss too but they couldn't make it about the house elves because Hermione's obsession with them was never introduced in GOF :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I thought this movie was brilliant. Some things I particularly liked:

- Neville got plenty of screen-time being a bloody hero. I was worried they might underplay that aspect. I would have liked to have seen him carrying in some of the dead, though. Sums up his character beautifully. That was my favourite part of the book(s), Neville's character progression and how he gradually becomes awesome. I friggin' love Neville.

- Snape's backstory. This worked better in the film than in the book, for me. I know I might be the only one in the world, but in the book I never understood why we should sympathise with Snape even after we find out he loved Lily. He asked Voldemort to spare Lily, but he was fine with him murdering her innocent child ... I think that's selfish and evil and I wouldn't have named my son after him if I were Harry. The movie seems to change this and I like it.

- In the epilogue we see that Ginny has become a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Hmm I liked it, only thing that annoyed me was:

Spoiler:
    Show
    that is was supposed to be Dean and Luna not Neville Also the epilogue...ugh, but the book version was bad too anyway. Also the whole spidey-horocrux sense. Nah you were supposed to see the memories not just randomly hear them, such a get out clause. But yea, I love Neville and I cried at everyone coming back from the stone.

Also how gorgeous was Lily's hair colour!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Dean and Luna weren't together in the books :fyi:

Luna married someone called Rolf Scarmander or something like that

ReputationRep:
    I'm off in an hour and a half! :excited:

ReputationRep:
    Just saw it. Loved it!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    We all cheered when Neville killed Nagini and when Molly said 'Not my daughter, you *****!' Loved Neville and Luna, Voldemort made me laugh, Snape broke my heart, I thought young Lily had the most gorgeous hair ever. I cried all the way through the forest scene and laughed all the way through the Kings Cross scene and the epilogue. Didn't think the Ron/Hermione kiss was that special but the giggling afterwards was cute. I think they've all improved so much acting wise, especially Dan. Am I the only one who thinks there is going to be another Voldemort? It feels like JK is setting up Harry Potter 2.0 with the epilogue.

ReputationRep:
    one thing that annoyed me was they were never told about the diadem in part 1.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I cried aswell through snape's memories

"All this time?"
    "Always"

ReputationRep:
    Thought my heart was going to burst watching Snape's memories, so moving.

LOVED the Gringotts scenes

Disappointed we didn't see Fred's death (though I don't think I was emotionally prepared for it anyways) and they didn't explain where the hell Percy came from!

Also the epilogue...Ginny's hair was terrible! And they just gave all the guys stubble in an attempt to age them :') didn't like it in the book anyway though.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Dean and Luna weren't together in the books :fyi:

Luna married someone called Rolf Scarmander or something like that
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Doesn't he take her hand or something, clearly there was a sentence and my imagination ran off with me lol

ReputationRep:
    Oh my, it was fantastic!

Spoiler:
    Show
    I also adored the scenes with Snape's memories, totally welled up.

I just can't believe it's over, definitely a lightning bolt shaped void in my life now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    I was disappointed with the kiss too but they couldn't make it about the house elves because Hermione's obsession with them was never introduced in GOF :facepalm:
    Yeah, I wish they had included SPEW!

ReputationRep:
    SPEW would have been hilarious. As would have been Weasley is our King; I was GUTTED that didn't make it into any of the films.

ReputationRep:
    Was anyone at the double bill at VUE Westfield London last night?

We all got free tickets woo!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Bits I loved

- Neville and Luna!! I always wanted them to get together so liked this change from the books
    -The Prince's Tale bit - I was proper cyring at it. And then when Lily was in the forest and she said always I teared up again
    -Snape talking to all the students - When Alan Rickman did his pause thing I just about died
    -Kings cross bit (with dumbledore)- exactly how I imagined it with all the white and everything

Bits I didn't like
    -The whole 'we'll finish this how we started' rubbish. That was totally unnecessary imo
    -Harry telling Ron and Hermione he was going to the forest. I thought that bit was really moving in the book, how he has to be alone and knows if he talks to them he'll never want to leave. And how he sees Neville and tells him about the snake. So I didn't like that bit at all.
    -How everyone seemed to disintigrate when they died. I just thought it was stupid.
    -The after-math of voldemort's death. Everyone just seemed to be like 'Oh he's dead? Cool'. I liked in the book how they all saw it then swarmed Harry. I think it made voldemort seem less bad.
    -When Snape was talking to the school and Harry jumped out, then the order came. I hated this bit. It totally changed the tone from the book when Harry's like 'We're not fighting, I'm just here for the diadem'
    -The deaths - I wanted them to be made a bigger deal of.

Bits I'm sorry they missed out
    - Ginny, Luna and Hermione fighting bellatrix while mcgongal, kingsley and whoever else it is fight voldemort. I just thought that was good in the books beccause it showed how powerful they both were and made Mrs Weasley and Harry better.
    -Ron caring about the house elves
    -Trelawny throwing crystal balls at people
    -Albus/Aberforth/Arianna/Grindlewald

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm doing that really annoying thing and wanting it to be identical to the books In it's own right it was great though!

ReputationRep:
    Neville: "Yeah, you and whose army" :love:

The kiss wasn't how I imagined it either, but overall I really, really liked it. Most definitely the best Potter film.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    Was anyone at the double bill at VUE Westfield London last night?

We all got free tickets woo!
    I was! How did you get free tickets?!

I can't put into words how much agony I felt when it paused at those two moments.

ReputationRep:
    I love Neville. :love:

ReputationRep:
    saw the premiere in leicester square last night.
    It was phenomenal, but the best part was deffinitely the atmosphere- people were cheering and clapping every 5 minutes at the best bits!

BUT-

Spoiler:
    Show

the death of voldemort was completely sh*t. sorry, but it was. It's supposed to happen in the great hall, with everyone watching, and a huge celebration afterwards. there was no huge climax, flash, bang, whatever you want to call it, it just went quiet as he slowly faded away. next scene, everyone's just chilling in the great hall, you don't even see any indication that people even know voldemort has died.
    honestly I was really dissapointed at this part, it was supposed to be the climax of the whole series and it was totally nondescript.

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Lumos)
    saw the premiere in leicester square last night.
    It was phenomenal, but the best part was deffinitely the atmosphere- people were cheering and clapping every 5 minutes at the best bits!

BUT-

Spoiler:
    Show

the death of voldemort was completely sh*t. sorry, but it was. It's supposed to happen in the great hall, with everyone watching, and a huge celebration afterwards. there was no huge climax, flash, bang, whatever you want to call it, it just went quiet as he slowly faded away. next scene, everyone's just chilling in the great hall, you don't even see any indication that people even know voldemort has died.
    honestly I was really dissapointed at this part, it was supposed to be the climax of the whole series and it was totally nondescript.

Totally agree with the spoiler! I thought the transition from one part to the next was fairly odd, even having read the books I was a little confused at first!

ReputationRep:
    I rented out the Deathly hallows part 1 today. Will watch it tonight.
    I was quite lucky, I went to a blockbusters and they were all out, but the person that worked there took one of the ones on sale and converted it to a rental.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.