Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Newcastle or Durham? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't know which one to choose . I had been planning to apply for Durham . I went to the city, it's really nice etc. However, I only realised two days ago just how far from Durham Queen's Campus is. I liked Newcastle, but I can't imagine what it would be like to actually live there. Please can any current students give me some help?

ReputationRep:
    I thought newcastle was great - being the main city of a large area it's good for shops, entertainment and the usual city ameneties, but it's small enough to get back to most student areas on foot.

this was years ago, could be a complete wasteland by now of course.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    newcastle is in the russel group durham is not

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle is great! Fantastic city, plenty of stuff to do from what I have heard. One of the most enjoyable uni experiences apparently. Take that from somebody who will be starting at Durham this October.

I have no idea about Queens Campus because I will be living in the actual Durham city itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isaacstarboy)
    I don't know which one to choose . I had been planning to apply for Durham . I went to the city, it's really nice etc. However, I only realised two days ago just how far from Durham Queen's Campus is. I liked Newcastle, but I can't imagine what it would be like to actually live there. Please can any current students give me some help?
    I'm at med school in London but Teesside is home. Queen's Campus is nice, Stockton Town less so. Essentially brand new, so the built environment in general obviously contrasts to that of the main university (some 30mins up the A66/A1(M)).

Teesside (i.e. Middlesbrough, Stockton, Hartlepool, Redcar) has more than it's fair share of the problems every large conurbation faces, but there are pockets of new money and large swathes of North Yorkshire immediately to the south are affluent (and really quite pleasant). National Park on your doorstep if you like that sort of thing.

Nightlife in Middlesbrough & Yarm is good (Boro players usually head to the latter scene, if that means anything to you), though evidently not many places can top Newcastle on that front. It's fine for pre-clinical anyway - 5 years on Teesside and things would get samey.

In conclusion: On balance, a nice place to live, though ultimately a different experience to Newcastle.

Hope that helped somewhat

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Well I've spent my entire life in the North East so I'll try and help you as much as I can.

Queens Campus is in Stockton, very near Middlesbrough, and, well it's not the most desirable place on earth. I don't mean the campus, I mean the general area. Middlesbrough pales in comparison to Durham City.

Durham beats Newcastle in terms of prestige, but it's really all about being somewhere you can live for three years. You wouldn't want to go to a uni based solely on prestige if you don't enjoy where you're living. Check Newcastle out - it's a very nice city. Not the biggest in the NE but the best. Well connected with airports and rail, etc. It's a hell of a lot bigger than Durham though, but not 'too' big - you can comfortably walk around the main places.

Fair enough, I've never lived there, but I know people who have, and do, and they enjoy it. You're very close to the Metro Centre, which is a huge shopping centre in Gateshead. There's an abundance of shops, restaurants etc in Newcastle, it's a great city. Historic, good architecture and Geordies are really friendly. Good clubs too.

Newcastle is also a very good university in its own right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Well I've spent my entire life in the North East so I'll try and help you as much as I can.

Queens Campus is in Stockton, very near Middlesbrough, and, well it's not the most desirable place on earth. I don't mean the campus, I mean the general area. Middlesbrough pales in comparison to Durham City.

Durham beats Newcastle in terms of prestige, but it's really all about being somewhere you can live for three years. You wouldn't want to go to a uni based solely on prestige if you don't enjoy where you're living. Check Newcastle out - it's a very nice city. Not the biggest in the NE but the best. Well connected with airports and rail, etc. It's a hell of a lot bigger than Durham though, but not 'too' big - you can comfortably walk around the main places.

Fair enough, I've never lived there, but I know people who have, and do, and they enjoy it. You're very close to the Metro Centre, which is a huge shopping centre in Gateshead. There's an abundance of shops, restaurants etc in Newcastle, it's a great city. Historic, good architecture and Geordies are really friendly. Good clubs too.

Newcastle is also a very good university in its own right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    I'd say it's a much more prestigious university yes.

Third oldest in the country, plenty of big names in the alumni, high entrance requirements, hasn't been out of the top twenty according to the Times in the last twenty years, collegiate, etc...

That's my opinion anyways. Feel free to disagree, OP.

ReputationRep:

Third oldest in the country, plenty of big names in the alumni, high entrance requirements, hasn't been out of the top twenty according to the Times in the last twenty years, collegiate, etc...

...is the crux of the matter (I wasn't actively disagreeing with you mind, it's all good)

ReputationRep:
    This is medicine, why are all these dicks talking about ****** prestige?

Frankly I would choose Newcastle because Stockton looks awful, although you graduate with the same degree and the last three years are the same. So up to you really.

ReputationRep:

Have you looked what forum this is in?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'd say Newcastle just because I would hate to live on Queen's Campus :dontknow:. Why does it have to be between one of these two? Or is it which to apply to as your last slot of the four?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    I'd say Newcastle just because I would hate to live on Queen's Campus :dontknow:. Why does it have to be between one of these two? Or is it which to apply to as your last slot of the four?
    When applying to study medicine at Newcastle, it's an either or thing (i.e. either first two years at Newcastle or first two years at Queen's Campus). Or you can pick the 'don't mind' option.

ReputationRep:
    Because Newcastle and Durham have a combined system with medicine - you apply for Newcastle stage one entry - and then state whether you want to apply for the Newcastle Campus, or Durham (stockton)or no preference (which will be always Stockton). Stockton is one of the most under-subscribed medical schools (if you can call it that - more a wing of Newcastle Medical School with the Durham brand weird set up really) and quite a few Newcastle rejects get offers for the Stockton Campus. After two years at Stockton the Stockton bunch get filtered into the Newcastle Med School clincial years.

OP ~ you can actually apply for both Durham & Newcastle - I think you enter Newcastle twice - and state different campus preferences.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Organ)
    Because Newcastle and Durham have a combined system with medicine - you apply for Newcastle stage one entry - and then state whether you want to apply for the Newcastle Campus, or Durham (stockton)or no preference (which will be always Stockton). Stockton is one of the most under-subscribed medical schools (if you can call it that - more a wing of Newcastle Medical School with the Durham brand weird set up really) and quite a few Newcastle rejects get offers for the Stockton Campus. After two years at Stockton the Stockton bunch get filtered into the Newcastle Med School clincial years.

OP ~ you can actually apply for both Durham & Newcastle - I think you enter Newcastle twice - and state different campus preferences.
    Aha :beard:. I knew the medics went to Newcastle after a couple of years, didn't know it was that intertwined though :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Aha :beard:. I knew the medics went to Newcastle after a couple of years, didn't know it was that intertwined though :p:.
    It's weird, I don't think they even get a Durham degree

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, I think I'm going for Newcastle now. I really liked both Newcastle and Durham, but the fact that I liked Durham now seems pretty much irrelevant due to the campus location. The Durham thing seems a bit of a faff to me - why doesn't Durham just have it's own college, independent of Newcastle, nearer (if not in) the actual city? Bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, I think I'm going for Newcastle now. I really liked both Newcastle and Durham, but the fact that I liked Durham now seems pretty much irrelevant due to the campus location. The Durham thing seems a bit of a faff to me - why doesn't Durham just have it's own college, independent of Newcastle, nearer (if not in) the actual city? Bizarre.
    Newcastle's Medical School was in fact Durham's until the 1960's :smartass:

As for not situating it in Durham city proper, all our new medical schools have deliberately been established in areas without a tradition of medical education.

Good luck anyway bud.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.