Manchester Watch

This discussion is closed.
nwoluk
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
So, me and the lads are bored here in gud ole brum;
so we're off to piss about in manchester for a bit
is there actually anything worth doing there?
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nwoluk)
So, me and the lads are bored here in gud ole brum;
so we're off to piss about in manchester for a bit
is there actually anything worth doing there?
Someone said it has the country's largest council estate.

Shush, we're not bored of Brum at all, we're just after a brief change of scenery.
Lbar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There is everything in Manchester within a drunken stumbling distance from the train station. So yeh! :cool:
nwoluk
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
sssh fish; we're bored.

so yeah if any of you fine folks know anything about Manchester; or atleast do a good impression, or well lets face it just down right lie.. it'd be apreciated.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Good to know people seem to think there's things to do in Manchester for a future undergraduate at their university
Lbar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Depends what you want. Theres millions of bars. Check out anything on oxford road for the student places. Portland streets also cool for the more "adult" pubs and runs parallel to the gay village of Canal Street if your into that sort of thing Theres the market street and Deansgate area for shopping and near there you got your upmarket pubs at the printworks inc hard rock cafe which is pretty sweet.

Your looking for culture theres plenty of that too with art galleries near the city centre and theres the Lowry out near Salford but I've not been there yet but I've heard its good.

hope some of this rambling is useful to you!
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Manchester Art Gallery is nice.

As is the cornerhouse at the top of Oxford Road, some manga exhibit last time I went. They also have good cinema in the same place if you're into that.

Chinatown is alright I guess, but just your bog standard chinatown.

May want to get metrolink to salford quays and look around there, may not.

Probably walk around Urbis, the gardens, those sorts of places, people just tend to sit around looking alternative.

Afflecks Palace, northern quarter, might be good if you're an alternative kid yourself, I'm not fond of it myself as everybody gets a bit "ew, you don't have enough piercings to come in here, go away" on you, but most people seem to think it's the best thing outside of Camden.

Nightlife focused on first mile or so of Oxford Road, as mentioned, I think they have the original hacienda around there (or I've seen signs for it?).
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Cheers you guys, least I won't have to miss London's offerings. Oh, any of you know of any snooker or pool halls?
Lbar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If you want the best curry outside of Birmingham or India you've got Rusholme at the southern end of oxford road!
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lbar)
If you want the best curry outside of Birmingham or India you've got Rusholme at the southern end of oxford road!
Yes. Camel One is the nicest, but appears to be rat infested. Abduls is probably the cleanest but not the best food.
Lbar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Abduls is your indian McDonalds. Personally I wouldnt touch it with a 50ft barge pool. Shame the nearest branch is 30ft from my house!

I can recommend the Shere Kahn. And so does cliff richard, Noel Gallagher and someone who looks distinctly like Michael Jackon dressed as a woman. :eek:
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lbar)
Abduls is your indian McDonalds. Personally I wouldnt touch it with a 50ft barge pool. Shame the nearest branch is 30ft from my house!

I can recommend the Shere Kahn. And so does cliff richard, Noel Gallagher and someone who looks distinctly like Michael Jackon dressed as a woman. :eek:
Psh, at least it's clean =P Which branch is 30ft from your house?

Lex.
Lbar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
academy branch
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lbar)
academy branch
Ah okay, I usually goto the smaller one further down. They're nice in there, free food pretty often, and you can eat upstairs.

Ever eaten in that Jaffa? I love their bread things, can't remember what they're caled for the life of me.
Kyrotec
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Manchester has got loads of offer! Rushome - mm not sure if I spelt that right :P which has over 30 restaurants! A lot of clubs next to a cinema which has restaurants + bars inside - known as Print Works. It also has Waterstones 2 of them. Some well price restaurants in China town such as the Yan Sing - kinda expensive but super tasty! Recently they have built fashionable shops 2 like Rockport.. Selfridges.. others.. I don't go to them :P
The night life is v kewl a lot to choose from.
Downside - certain areas get bit dodgy on Deansgate past 11! The university is near Rushome, v central and close to Piccadily Gardens.
Also, the Lowry has a kewl theatre where you can stimulate your minds with |Othello| |Woman in Black| etc. They have some good coffee bars - about 8 which are conveniently located such as Starbuck, Cafe Nero, and some more authentic ones where you can have real beans!
Overall it's a underrate city which has a lot to offer + they r improving it with gardens and the Ubis which is a swanky restaurant - servers liquorice ice cream!
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sorry can I bring this up again, any snooker or pool halls you know of?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Sorry can I bring this up again, any snooker or pool halls you know of?
There was a snooker hall I remember going to once as a kid, it was in Moss Side, which means you shouldn't go near it.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nwoluk)
sssh fish; we're bored.

so yeah if any of you fine folks know anything about Manchester; or atleast do a good impression, or well lets face it just down right lie.. it'd be apreciated.
I really like manchester City Centre - so lively, action packed, big.....interesting.....better than friggin leeds..
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
There was a snooker hall I remember going to once as a kid, it was in Moss Side, which means you shouldn't go near it.
Why?
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
yeh, moss side is one rough area. very rough indeed.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.52%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (221)
41.08%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.41%

Watched Threads