Turn on thread page Beta

Would you defend someone being bullied? watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, there's a guy at my school - we're friends, but not great friends - who gets bullied a bit, just for being a bit different. The teasing is one thing; if it gets a bit out of hand, people normally stick up for him, and if I'm there then I do (but until it goes too far, I let it go; I'm hoping that he'll stick up for himself more). However, when he gets physically bullied, I stick up for him - it's always the same group of people, and only when they're around each other. The victim is quite small and weedy, and people who pick on him are stereotypically bigger and meaner - typical bullies. If he tries to defend himself, or hits them back (which isn't even hard, it's more of a statement than anything) then they don't like that, so they hit him more, and harder. Mean, eh?

So my question is that if you saw this happening, would you stick up for the victim, and put yourself in the way, risking getting hit yourself? Or would you just sit in the corner and ignore it, like most people? Not trying to glorify myself here, but I would stick up for him - anyone who needs their big mates around them to bully someone significantly smaller than them should be stood up to.

And no, my "friend" isn't actually me, he is actually a guy in my year.

ReputationRep:
    Has he not reported the bullying? Tbh, I can dream, but I am not going to lie, and I seriously doubt I would defend him against the bullies. I am far too much of a coward and so would leave them to business. I might perhaps intervene by telling someone about it, who could perhaps sort it out. :worm:

ReputationRep:
    I would hide in a corner twiddling my thumbs.

No, really I would help, but why is this guy being bullied exactly, because he is small?

ReputationRep:
    And there are definitely no knives or anything, literally just their hands/feet.

And they're so cowardly that they "bully" him subtly; all they would get is (at most) a talking-to, nothing would happen for a while and then it would restart.

He's teased because he's weird, basically. He is, but he needs to learn to defend himself but he can't - they would probably take it too far.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the amount of people vs the victim...

It it was like 25 bullies, vs 1 person... tbh I'll just go and tell a teacher or something..

If it was 5 to 7 vs 1, I'll stick up for the 1 person physically anyday!

That's only if I actually knew all of them though...

If it was randomly on the street, and I see someone being bullied, I'll just probably leave it.. at most whisper to the victim to follow me and leave..

ReputationRep:
    Yes, no one messes with my galdem and mandem and gets away with it

ReputationRep:
    If I knew him, I would tell the bullies to cut it out, or give him a word of advice.

If I didn't know the person, I wouldn't know the situation, I'd probably leave it as it would be akward just bumping in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbycrisp)
    Basically, there's a guy at my school - we're friends, but not great friends - who gets bullied a bit, just for being a bit different. The teasing is one thing; if it gets a bit out of hand, people normally stick up for him, and if I'm there then I do (but until it goes too far, I let it go; I'm hoping that he'll stick up for himself more). However, when he gets physically bullied, I stick up for him - it's always the same group of people, and only when they're around each other. The victim is quite small and weedy, and people who pick on him are stereotypically bigger and meaner - typical bullies. If he tries to defend himself, or hits them back (which isn't even hard, it's more of a statement than anything) then they don't like that, so they hit him more, and harder. Mean, eh?

So my question is that if you saw this happening, would you stick up for the victim, and put yourself in the way, risking getting hit yourself? Or would you just sit in the corner and ignore it, like most people? Not trying to glorify myself here, but I would stick up for him - anyone who needs their big mates around them to bully someone significantly smaller than them should be stood up to.

And no, my "friend" isn't actually me, he is actually a guy in my year.
    No, if anything you should join in. Bullying is nature's way of separating the strong from the weak.

The victim deserves to be removed from the gene pool if they end up depressed and wallowing in self-pity, the correct thing they should do is learn to stand up for themselves and come out stronger because of it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd get involved definitely. The three ********, laying into one guy while everybody else watches? And you wanna know what's wrong with me? Yeah, I'd rather die... so bring it on!

ReputationRep:
    For all it helps, it's about 3 pretty big people on one small guy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 24, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.