Turn on thread page Beta

Dual Carrigeway confusion? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain these to me. Just really need to improve on this, as i dont get what lane to be in etc...when to stop, how to turn right, left etc...

ReputationRep:
    ... There are no words.

ReputationRep:
    you dont stop on a moving dual carriageway

left lane to turn left

right lane to turn right

ReputationRep:
    Left hand lane is driving lane. Only use right hand lanes for overtaking. Generally speed limit is 70mph unless otherwise marked.

ReputationRep:
    make sure you have the definition of a dual carriageway correct - has to be one of the most common mistakes

for it to count as a DUAL carriageway there have to be lanes of traffic seperated in the middle by barrier or somesort of space. the number of lanes in each direction is irrelevant

you can have a dual carriageway with 1 lane going each way

or you can have 4 lanes going each way but not being classed as a dual carriageway because they are not separted properly.

ReputationRep:
    haha omg i luk stupid. But i remember stopping at traffic lights on dual cariageway, and i know it was a dual carriageway. Oh god it dm

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much as above.

It's only dual carriage way if the two carriage ways are separated. If there's no separation it's only a single carriage way.

National speed limit is 70, If there are street lights its most likely to be 30 (like any other road) unless otherwise marked. (Dual carriage ways in towns are sometimes 40/50)

With any road you should drive in the left most lane unless overtaking or need to be in a different lane for a turning (e.g. change lane for a right turn)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    haha omg i luk stupid. But i remember stopping at traffic lights on dual cariageway, and i know it was a dual carriageway. Oh god it dm
    there are tonnes of traffic lights and roundabouts on dual carriageways here in milton keynes. just use your common sense and look at road markings to decide what lane to go in when you come to junctions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    You do sometimes get things like traffic lights on a dual carriage way. In which case you stop in the same way you would on any other road. Best not to go changing lanes just before the lights.

One thing to be aware of is some roads will go to two lanes just before traffic lights and then will have a merge shortly after the traffic lights. This isn't necessarily for dual carriage way though.

ReputationRep:
    I have to ask.. are you even taking driving lessons?

ReputationRep:
    Yes haha I am on my 31st lesson. Im just really forgetful and probably one of the worst drivers you will ever meet, so dont b evil haha

ReputationRep:
    Always stay in the left hand lane unless you are overtaking someone. Left lane if you are turning left, right to turn right, it's not difficult.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 27, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.