Turn on thread page Beta

Need to gain weight without looking bigger, any ideas? watch

ReputationRep:
    I need to gain some weight - although I don't look too thin, apparently my body doesn't think so (despite having a healthy bmi...) but kinda like the way I'm looking now. Anyone got any ideas as to how I can gain weight (muscle, maybe?) without actually looking bigger? or is that not possible...
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    That makes no sense.

Why do you want to gain weight?

1) You do not want to look bigger.
    2) You say you don't look too thin.
    3) You say you have a healthy BMI.
    4) You say you like the way you're looking now.

:dontknow:

If you want a direct answer; you could cut back on fats and sugars and consume calories with low GI foods and protein, and train to put on muscle which will take the place of some fat... but you'll get bigger unless you're really fat already which you are not.

This post makes no sense lol.

ReputationRep:
    right, well basically my body is reacting as though I am underweight for me (cos although bmis are a guide i think it's a bit different for everyone). and my bmi is like 18.6 or something so it's just healthy. Annoying! Thanks though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eeka123)
    right, well basically my body is reacting as though I am underweight for me (cos although bmis are a guide i think it's a bit different for everyone). and my bmi is like 18.6 or something so it's just healthy. Annoying! Thanks though...
    Reacting?

What/how do you mean?

Sorry - you're being incredibly vague here. :o:

ReputationRep:
    If you need more mass without increasing volume you need to become more dense. Though from the sound of this thread you're already pretty dense.

ReputationRep:
    OP confirmed for anorexic trying to pass her next rehab weight test.

I heard drinking lots of water before your weigh in works quite well.

ReputationRep:
    What's BMI got to do with anything? Bro science on the prowl I'm guessing.

ReputationRep:
    You could not have a **** for a couple of days?

ReputationRep:
    A BMI of less than 20 is considered underweight, although it is just a guide. If a doctor says you're underweight, you're underweight.

ReputationRep:
    Gain muscle reduce fat, muscle weighs more than fat. Thread question answered.

ReputationRep:
    Gain muscle, lose fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gower)
    A BMI of less than 20 is considered underweight, although it is just a guide. If a doctor says you're underweight, you're underweight.
    first it was 18, then it was 18.5, and now its 20? Wow times have moved on, everyones getting fatter :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fireph)
    If you need more mass without increasing volume you need to become more dense. Though from the sound of this thread you're already pretty dense.
    LOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    Teehee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    He asked how.

OP, weight exercises, will obtain you muscle and aerobic cardio will lose you fat.

Maybe mr expert above can give you details on routines and weights workouts.

ReputationRep:
    It's a shes, but thanks
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Reacting?

What/how do you mean?

Sorry - you're being incredibly vague here. :o:
    I've got all the symptoms of being underweight - except I don't look it. But if a healthy bmi's 20, I guess that's not right... *sigh...* :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    It's a shes, but thanks

I've got all the symptoms of being underweight - except I don't look it. But if a healthy bmi's 20, I guess that's not right... *sigh...* :dontknow:
    A healthy BMI isn't 20, it's 18.something. According to general use. But you are right, it varies, like if you have a lot of muscle you'll seem overweight etc.

I'm guessing it's something personal and that's why you aren't saying exactly what happens... something like not having periods or something, maybe feeling really faint?

Are you sure that the things you're worried about are actually to do with your weight. Maybe it's more your diet than weight (isn't balanced enough etc), you could try making it better or taking supplements or something. The point I'm trying to make is just because the symptoms COULD show being underweight, since you aren't really, it could be something else. Best option is to tell your doctor about the symptoms and let him diagnose it. If it IS to do with weight he will help you decide if you're eating enough etc.

ReputationRep:
    Eat and gym! Gain weight through muscles.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.