Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should relationship be on Facebook? Watch

I am going out with this girl now and have been for a couple of days. My profile shows me as 'single' and her profile is shown as 'married to...' and one of her best friends.

When I asked her if we should put it on Facebook, she said there is no need and she is married to her friend on there.

Is this something I should care about or does this happen with a lot of couples? Not sure how I feel about it to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    She should mean more to you than facebook.
    It's not your be all and end all.

ReputationRep:
    It's facebook! If you feel your relationship can only mean something by it being on facebook then you lead a very sad life....

ReputationRep:
    Why did you ask her permission?

That's not a good start to the relationship. Next thing you'll be asking her if she wants sex.

ReputationRep:
    It's not essential really, is it. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you...

ReputationRep:
    It's facebook, so no.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, the ol' facebook relationship status issue....troubling couples since 2004 :yep:

It is not something you should care about.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem - and I decided I'd put my status as 'In a Relationship' and she can please herself with hers

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    yet another sad fb case, it doesnt matter. I've been with bf for 6 months and it still says single, he doesnt care and neither do i

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am going out with this girl now and have been for a couple of days.
    No you shouldn't care about it - as you said, you've only been going out a couple of days - wait until you've got something a bit stronger & longer than that, it seems a bit eager to put it on facebook after not that long, and if things don't go well, and a month later you change it back to 'single' it just looks awkward.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    I've been with my partner for almost a year and neither of us have a relationship status displayed on our profiles. For about a month or so it did bother me, a little, but I've since come to realise that it really, really doesn't matter. The people who matter know we're together. Not that I'm saying nobody should display their status!

ReputationRep:
    why do people take facebook so seriously! why does it matter? what if it doesn't work out and you break up in a week? i'd say 1 month is a good time to put it on facebook. until then just leave it... but even after 1 month it really doesn't matter if it's on FB or not, just make it so your relationship status isn't visable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twl)
    Why did you ask her permission?

That's not a good start to the relationship. Next thing you'll be asking her if she wants sex.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Oh grow a pair. I've been with my boyfriend for almost 4 years and I don't even have a relationship status.

ReputationRep:
    just change it to in a relationship if it makes you feel better

ReputationRep:
    Just don't have a relationship status at all on FB. Your GF won't complain, and you can lie to other girls that you're single. Thank me later.

ReputationRep:
    He should have her grovelling for it. I mean, WTF it's day three and she's not grovelling. Is the relationship purely platonic?

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear lord. It's bloody Facebook. People take that site too damn seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cassiethestranger)
    It's facebook! If you feel your relationship can only mean something by it being on facebook then you lead a very sad life....
    This. Especially since it's only been a couple of days.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.