Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I am about to enter my last year in a Psychology BSc degree, on track for a 2i/1st. I have been interning in the Vision Lab for the past couple of years, and my supervisor has offered me a PhD (funding permitting).

    Originally, I wanted to do the DClinPsy and become a Clinical Psychologist. This course is very hard to get on, and there is no chance of getting onto it straight from undergrad. My thought was I could do this PhD then apply for the DClinPsy - problem is, they require a "clinically related" PhD, of which mine would not be. I could, however, gain a small amount of experience volunteering in the mental hospital in the next town over (and I already have a fair amount of relevant experience). There are other Vision-oriented PhDs I could apply for.

    I have two other choices: go onto an MRes course and hope I get a clinically oriented supervisor, or do this course, which is about the most relevant thing I could do, and paid.

    I have a couple of problems:
    - I'd feel guilty for not taking the PhD my supervisor offered me, as I have built up a good relationship with the lab in the last couple of years.
    - All courses apart from the Primary Care one, would start in September 2011. Primary Care would start in January 2012; I'd probably need to turn down the other courses before I heard about the Primary Care one (which looks to be the best course, but there's a very small chance of being accepted).
    - Is it feasible to do a PhD and then go and do a completely unrelated Masters (i.e. PhD for enjoyment of subject matter, Masters [Primary Care or otherwise] to get a job)?

    Bear in mind that after any of these courses (apart from maybe the PhD, I'd probably have to do a more relevant course first) I'd be applying for the 3-year DClinPsy.

    Any input appreciated!

    • PS Reviewer

    PS Reviewer
    Firstly bear in mind that the ELQ rules means that doing a PhD first would mean you would have a pay higher fees if you then did a masters.

    Otherwise. You need to think about what you want to do. It's not uncommon to do a PhD before going on to the clinical doctorate. Www.clinpsy.org.uk might help you.
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.