Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am about to enter my last year in a Psychology BSc degree, on track for a 2i/1st. I have been interning in the Vision Lab for the past couple of years, and my supervisor has offered me a PhD (funding permitting).

Originally, I wanted to do the DClinPsy and become a Clinical Psychologist. This course is very hard to get on, and there is no chance of getting onto it straight from undergrad. My thought was I could do this PhD then apply for the DClinPsy - problem is, they require a "clinically related" PhD, of which mine would not be. I could, however, gain a small amount of experience volunteering in the mental hospital in the next town over (and I already have a fair amount of relevant experience). There are other Vision-oriented PhDs I could apply for.

I have two other choices: go onto an MRes course and hope I get a clinically oriented supervisor, or do this course, which is about the most relevant thing I could do, and paid.

I have a couple of problems:
    - I'd feel guilty for not taking the PhD my supervisor offered me, as I have built up a good relationship with the lab in the last couple of years.
    - All courses apart from the Primary Care one, would start in September 2011. Primary Care would start in January 2012; I'd probably need to turn down the other courses before I heard about the Primary Care one (which looks to be the best course, but there's a very small chance of being accepted).
    - Is it feasible to do a PhD and then go and do a completely unrelated Masters (i.e. PhD for enjoyment of subject matter, Masters [Primary Care or otherwise] to get a job)?

Bear in mind that after any of these courses (apart from maybe the PhD, I'd probably have to do a more relevant course first) I'd be applying for the 3-year DClinPsy.

Any input appreciated!

Thanks,
    Luser
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Firstly bear in mind that the ELQ rules means that doing a PhD first would mean you would have a pay higher fees if you then did a masters.

Otherwise. You need to think about what you want to do. It's not uncommon to do a PhD before going on to the clinical doctorate. Www.clinpsy.org.uk might help you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.