Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need help with those please.

Ok so the only thing I know is that HCL dissociates into ions in water. I have no clue what is the property of the solution or anything about methylbenzene..I tried searching everywhere I never found anything that I can understand.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I suspect what they are looking for in the first is an explanation of how and why halogens are reduced to halide ions and that they oxidise other things in the process. I would mention their position in the periodic table, high electron affinity, almost complete shells etc

for the second, you are right that in water HCl dissociates (essentially completely) into ions. You need to explain why HCl ionises in water. This gives the resulting solution an important property (which you presumably know). It will also have electrical properties. Methylbenzene (old name toluene) is a non-polar organic solvent. So HCl dissolved in that won't ionise (why?) and the resulting solution will therefore not have the properties I mentioned earlier.

So, you can fill in the blanks, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    I suspect what they are looking for in the first is an explanation of how and why halogens are reduced to halide ions and that they oxidise other things in the process. I would mention their position in the periodic table, high electron affinity, almost complete shells etc

for the second, you are right that in water HCl dissociates (essentially completely) into ions. You need to explain why HCl ionises in water. This gives the resulting solution an important property (which you presumably know). It will also have electrical properties. Methylbenzene (old name toluene) is a non-polar organic solvent. So HCl dissolved in that won't ionise (why?) and the resulting solution will therefore not have the properties I mentioned earlier.

So, you can fill in the blanks, right?
    Yes RIGHT! everything is crystal clear now thanks to you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.