Turn on thread page Beta

Bedroom door locking - shared house - etiquette? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

If one is resident in a shared property with people that are known to you, what is the etiquette for securing your bedroom door if it is lockable?

If I lock my door, I feel like it is letting my housemates think I don't trust them, although I still want my 'stuff' to remain secure.

What do others do?

ReputationRep:
    i leave it open

if i didn't trust them i'd keep it locked. simple

ReputationRep:
    Ha, I thought it said door licking.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's one of those things where it's worth locking it to avoid the worse case scenario - whether that be a dodgy housemate or someone else intruding, or even if you were to wrongly assume so.

ReputationRep:
    You usually only invite people into your house if you trust them, however even you can go wrong sometimes and make mistakes when judging people.

So your flat mates could do this too, they could invite someone over who seemingly seems trustworthy, next thing your valuables are gone and there is nobody to blame.

'Better safe than sorry.'

ReputationRep:
    I lock it and screw etiquette. It's your stuff on the line if they don't lock the front door.

ReputationRep:
    Lock it when you leave the house, or when you're inside and don't want to be suddenly disturbed.

ReputationRep:
    Well the only way they'd find out it's locked is if they were trying to go in your room when you're out, which they shouldn't be doing anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Lock it. They shouldn't be going in your room without your permission, so they won't know, will they?

ReputationRep:
    When im jizzing i lock it. but there is no way some geeky white boys would steal from a black boy, so i keep it open to show confidence

ReputationRep:
    My flat mates all seem pretty reliable so I don't always lock it, but they could always invite people over who aren't to be trusted while I'm out. I sometimes lock it if I want privacy too, because people tend to knock and then walk in without waiting for you to say 'come in' here.

Is it one of those doors that when it closes it locks itself? My boyfriend's doesn't have an outside door handle so is locked if you know what I mean. Else I'd lock it when you leave the house, you might trust your housemates but what about their friends? they could be anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Leave it open, unless you really dont trust them - in which case why are you living with them?

If they want to walk in on me ******* or shagging I dont mind. Just dont disturb me. As for nicking stuff - seriously? What kind of house do you live in where you cant trust your own housemates? What are they going to nick - be a bit obvious if someone nicked your laptop wouldnt it?

If the worst happens your insured anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    Lock it when you leave the house, or when you're inside and don't want to be suddenly disturbed.
    This. If you start locking the door every time you go to the bathroom/to fetch a snack it starts to look peculiar, let's not even get into locking your room when you're in it (yes, I had a flatmate last year who ALWAYS locked himself in his room. ALL the time)

ReputationRep:
    I live in Halls of Residence and personally i lock the door if im going out or im sleeping (same with my window), and i lock the outer door but not my bathroom if i take a shower (i have ensuite :woo:) but if im inside i leave it unlocked so my housemates can knock and come in if they want, but i think once real work starts next week i might be locking it if im concerntrating cuz i hate it when someone barges in when im busy, if they want me they can knock and wait for an answer!!:yep:

ReputationRep:
    I don't bother locking mine in my house (never have), mostly because I know my housemates wouldn't go in there without a damn good reason (except one who wanted to use my mirror when she broke hers - cheeky!) and because there's not a lot worth nicking. Other housemates I've lived with have locked theirs but it's never bothered me, that's their right!

ReputationRep:
    Lock your room when you're not in it, keep the door shut if you're in but don't want to be disturbed and have the door ajar when you're in and welcome to visitors. No-ones going to blame you for wanting to keep valuables secure when you're not in - locks are there for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    you may trust your flatmates but do you trust/know all the people they might bring back? It's not a risk worth taking, do what you think is right

ReputationRep:
    Our neighbours got robbed 2 days after I moved in. Subsequently I lock all my valuables in my room before I leave the house now and keep ********** the others for going upstairs with windows/ doors open.

I trust my housemates but it's a security issue.

ReputationRep:
    I lock my door when im not there. Not because i think my flatmates will steal my stuff, but i know that they will room rape me.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.