Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I get a six pack? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc1234)
    Yeah I am quite well built and struggling to lose anymore weight (went from 14 stone to 11,5) my BMI is in the healthy weight and I normally do 2 hours of gym and swimming every other day as well as football so I don't think fitness is an issue. It's just really tough to lose the flab around that area.
    That might be too much thus your body has gone into plateau, possibly. :o:

http://www.healthandgoodness.com/art...s-plateau.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astra_K)
    You are too weedy to get a 6 pack.
    You would have to diet down to like 7% bodyfat, and you would look anorexic and probably wont see abs either.
    Bulk up on Rippetoes starting strength.

Trust me, i know this stuff.
    It's true that extra muscle increases the basal metabolic rate so I would probably lose bodyfat although I was always led to believe that cardio was the best way to lose bodyfat.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have been down the gym for a few months but I am struggling to get a six pack, take a look at my pic just curious if my body is ok.
    Do you girls like six packs or is it best to keep what I have?
    Attachment 91468
    if you have the will-power to go for a six pack then do it...from what i've seen and achieved myself, most of the abs are made in the kitchen and then they are just enhanced in the gym...but take an awful lot of will-power and patience to achieve

ReputationRep:
    When did huggable become the new word for flabby?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice, my diet generally involves natural homemade stuff cutting out saturated fat, refined carbs and no beer or alcohol, what does your diet generally consist of billa? And how long did it take you to achieve your goal, I have only been at it for 3 months is it just a matter of time?
    (Original post by fireph)
    When did huggable become the new word for flabby?
    About 25 minutes ago

ReputationRep:
    dont know how much help this is but my little brother aged 13 does absoultley no excerise ever apart from what a average person would do eg walking around ridng a bike for a bi nothing you wouldnt do normally all he eats is sweets like most kids and whenever my mum cooks he eats a bit of the meat occasionally some rice he never eats vegetables or fruit and honestly eats less than my 4 year old sister yet he has had a 6 pack for as long as i can remember

ReputationRep:
    It's Kelly Brook without big breasts.:giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Six packs look awful.

ReputationRep:
    Talking about beer in the fitness forum isn't going to go down well.

ReputationRep:
    I've had one for years with little exercise, easier for me though cos i've naturally got a skinnier build

ReputationRep:
    yeh. get a 6pak

ReputationRep:
    I do pure cardio which is 1000 calories down the gym and ab exercises, I have also cut all saturated fats out of my diet for 3 months lost 2 stone 7 pounds but still no real change to my ab area. It's so hard to get one!
    Saturated fat from real food sources i.e. butter/meats are vital to good health.

@ OP, why not just aim to improve health and fitness?

ReputationRep:
    Is there a particular reason why you want just a six pack? As far as I know, you're not going to walk around shirtless 24/7.

I'm going to toss a wild idea out here, but bear with me, okay? Have you thought about aiming for overall fitness? Don't you think it'd look kind of unusual to see a six pack on a guy with scrawny arms or legs? Doing exercises aimed to improve one area is kind of idiotic and useless, in my opinion. If you want your coveted six pack, you're going to have to face the fact that you're going to have to just do some exercise not based upon gaining that and based more on overall fitness, and then eventually, before you realize it, you'll probably be well on your way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doubledot)
    Is there a particular reason why you want just a six pack? As far as I know, you're not going to walk around shirtless 24/7.

I'm going to toss a wild idea out here, but bear with me, okay? Have you thought about aiming for overall fitness? Don't you think it'd look kind of unusual to see a six pack on a guy with scrawny arms or legs? Doing exercises aimed to improve one area is kind of idiotic and useless, in my opinion. If you want your coveted six pack, you're going to have to face the fact that you're going to have to just do some exercise not based upon gaining that and based more on overall fitness, and then eventually, before you realize it, you'll probably be well on your way.
    The most sensible answer ive read.

Tbh OP who have quite a large amount of body fat which would probably also mean your unfit.

I would suggest focusing on cardio 5 times a week, 2 days rest. 2 of the days of your cardio focus on HIIT as that will burn a lot of fat. Dont do HIIT more than twice a week and dont over-do it either, if you feel like you need a rest, take it. After all, improvements are made when resting, saying that doesnt mean to sit on your behind all day.

Now for diet, focus on around 1800 calories, 40% from both carbs and protein, and just 20% from healthy fat, such as olive oil.

Have a cheat meal once a week or 2 to keep you motivated, but dont order like 10 pizzas or something. Just have a burger with chips or something like that.

I would suggest weight training around 3 times a week, to find a good program for you id suggest to do some research. Focus mostly on Bench Press, Squats, Deadlifts, Pull-ups, Barbell bicep curls and close grip bench (triceps) and crunches.

Achieving a six pack is quite easy if you know what you are doing. You see a lot of people with six packs because frankly they are skinny, and thats all thats going for them.

OVERALL = Aim for being healthy and well built, not just focus on a six-pack.

ReputationRep:
    "You are too weedy to get a 6 pack.
    You would have to diet down to like 7% bodyfat, and you would look anorexic and probably wont see abs either.
    Bulk up on Rippetoes starting strength.

Trust me, i know this stuff."

LOL, go back to /fit/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SacreBleu)
    your torso looks like a smiley face
    This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doubledot)

This.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 25, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.