Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I got a 2.1 at a target university and will be starting a one-year masters degree (not finance related) at Cambridge. Will banks consider me for a summer internship? Just slightly concerned about my graduation year.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Just fire off some apps. Loads only even ask for a CV.

ReputationRep:
    Hey does your masters run over the summer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hinton88)
    Hey does your masters run over the summer?
    nope

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the same as you. Think I'm going to apply everywhere anyway, even if it says it's specifically for undergrads. Worst that can happen is rejection!

ReputationRep:
    Was asking because I'm in a slightly worse situation, doing masters, however mine runs until september so can't do any summer internships!

ReputationRep:
    I think most have the dissertation to do over the summer... Although my friend at Imperial MSc Finance reckons he'll manage an internship at the same time, so he has applied for internships, as well.

ReputationRep:
    i tihnk quite a few master students were doing their dissertations during their internships

ReputationRep:
    if you're in IBD forget about doing it whilst working. You will literally have no time to do it. You'll be working weekends and any time off you have you'll sleep most of the time. The only way it could work is if you can submit it 1-2 weeks after your internship ends. If its due whilst you're working, forget about it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the comments. Luckily, my dissertation is due in before July so I should be ok. In the application form though, if you say graduation year is 2011 then would you not get a straight rejection? So, is it better to write down 2012 and say you are planning to study one more year?

ReputationRep:
    Possibly you could say you will study for another year but what would sound believable since you're already doing a masters? another masters? I was looking at some of the banks autumn internships.

ReputationRep:
    Some masters are 2 year ones to be fair. I'm having a gap year now to save for a masters and to gain experience, still applying for internships next summer before I (hopefully) begin at LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bankah)
    Hey guys,

I got a 2.1 at a target university and will be starting a one-year masters degree (not finance related) at Cambridge. Will banks consider me for a summer internship? Just slightly concerned about my graduation year.

Thanks in advance!
    I would have thought most places will consider you. Banks are interested in people in their penultimate year because they want to hire people who can fill their graduate programmes the year after. I know most places I have worked consider people in your position. It is penultimate year of education rather than penultimate year of degree that we were interested in. Just make it clear on your CV that you have a Masters already lined up.

GR
    gradrecruiter.blogspot.com

ReputationRep:
    I seen plenty of MSc people who have applied and got into internships in our BB bank... not a big deal really, like Nike says just do it (apply).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy87)
    if you're in IBD forget about doing it whilst working. You will literally have no time to do it. You'll be working weekends and any time off you have you'll sleep most of the time. The only way it could work is if you can submit it 1-2 weeks after your internship ends. If its due whilst you're working, forget about it.
    Agreed, my friend joined a boutique bank, team focus was FIG (cross border china/america deals) had to quit because he literally had NO time at all to do his dissertation.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.