Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all - I've got an offer for Economics at Warwick but i'm considering a swap to PPE. I'm kinda on the fence on this - I do love Economics - but i'm a qualitative, debating kinda person rather than a statistics guy (and i've always enjoyed Law because of this but had an ethical issue about it as a job) - and it just hit me that PPE MIGHT be able to help me enjoy the part of Law that I like without forsaking my interest Economics. However, I do know that Warwick's economics course is pretty darn good - 4th in the UK (behind Oxbridge and LSE) - and i don't have enough data to make a conclusion about PPE. Furthermore, I'm really interested in the employability of PPE's grads as well as a comparison to Economics. Could anyone give me some advice/experience?

Much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Snap.

ReputationRep:
    You love Economics. You have an offer for Economics. This offer is from a wonderful university, with a wonderful course.
    Just go.

ReputationRep:
    Well you will still have a fair bit of maths to do in a PPE degree but I assume it wont be as much as a straight Economics so I say go for it. You say you are a more essay based person so I think you should definitley have a long hard think about this.
    Not sure about employability, but PPE is really respected. See if 'unistats' (google it) can show you if one is more employable than the other. Personally I think they are equal.

ReputationRep:
    Which course do you like more? What do you want to do after uni? Both courses are very good. I did econ at Warwick but have loads of friends who did ppe and it's a very 'posh' course lol. I'd say the most important is how well you do, which is very much affected by how much you enjoy your course. In ppe, you can choose a major as well, so you can do economics (allbeit not as quantitative as if you took pure econ) and still have your favourite politics/philosophy modules. Although I think ppe's have a more restricted access to optional modules offered by other departments but not exactly sure about this. You can find the warwick ppe group on facebook and contact some of the people/write on the wall, they'll be more than happy to answer questions!! Finally, I'd also say don't worry too much about it - both courses are very good and highly appreciated by employers. As said, how well you do, the activities you take part in outside studies and your own interest are at the forefront when it comes to becoming part of what you like after (and during) uni. Good luck!

University open days

1. University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
  2. University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.