Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys sorry if this is the wrong section, just wondering after hearing about this supposed solar flare thing in 2012-13 in the next etc, is it something to be concerned about or just media hyping a event that dosent mean anything?

The british seem to say it wil kill power grids across the world whereas the US/NASA say its life as normal and a standard process, seems to have been picked up recently due to meetings etc so just wondered if anyone in the know can clarify whats actually up since in skeptical of the media trying to build fear as it always likes to do.

Seems it happened in 1850 and killed all power, it being so basic back then it had little effect but the same level now would cripple us?

Thanks for any serious replies i know this being TSR some stupid replies may arrise just cant find any official information !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InfernoUk)
    Hey guys sorry if this is the wrong section, just wondering after hearing about this supposed solar flare thing in 2012-13 in the next etc, is it something to be concerned about or just media hyping a event that dosent mean anything?

The british seem to say it wil kill power grids across the world whereas the US/NASA say its life as normal and a standard process, seems to have been picked up recently due to meetings etc so just wondered if anyone in the know can clarify whats actually up since in skeptical of the media trying to build fear as it always likes to do.

Seems it happened in 1850 and killed all power, it being so basic back then it had little effect but the same level now would cripple us?

Thanks for any serious replies i know this being TSR some stupid replies may arrise just cant find any official information !
    Media Hype. Yes, we are entering a solar maximum and yes there will be more coronal mass ejections, which could affect our power grids, but certainly not cripple us. There are things in place to prevent this. Furthermore, they have warning systems to put communcations satellites into lockdown etc. so they'll be ok for the most part; none of this end of the world media crap. It seems I'm still waiting for a black hole to kill us at CERN.

ReputationRep:
    Can't trust the British.

ReputationRep:
    I hope it kills off all forms of technology

I always wanted to be a fisherman :moon:

ReputationRep:
    it'll wipe out facebook, that has to be good.

and red skies are synonymous with the old addage of shepherd's delight are they not?

ReputationRep:
    I may be completely wrong here but I think solar flares are fairly common, and to the best of my knowledge all they generally do is light up the auroras and knock out a few satellites. I'm not exactly sure how they are predicting a solar flare as they are fairly randomish events. I think if they were able to know ahead of time they could formulate some kinda radiation shielding for power grids that would be exposed to minimise the damage. As you say the extent of power grids in the 1850's was pretty basic, like telegraph wires with no shielding at all anyway.

ReputationRep:
    We get bit by solar flares from the Sun all the time, just this one is supposed to be a lot bigger.

Really the only damage it will do if it is substantial is knock out a couple of satellites and shut off a few electric grids, but nothing like widespread loss of life and habitat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    it'll wipe out facebook, that has to be good.

and red skies are synonymous with the old addage of shepherd's delight are they not?
    Red sky at night, shepherd's delight
    Red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning

Anyway, bear in mind that flares happen quite often on a smaller scale, and (if memory serves) it has more effect on communications... but hospitals have back up generators, most people can cope without electricity anyway (either using candles or pen and paper, god forbid!), I'd imagine the big issues would be looting (if the phone lines go down, so people can't phone the police) but they'll deal with this by having coppers on the streets, and car accidents (traffic light failures), but there'll be some warning and therefore safeguards in place. Oh, and the economy/stock market might crash unless they put safeguards in there.

But overall, don't believe the hype. We could probably survive for a while without the National Grid anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I think of it like Y2K. It has the potential to be very disruptive and wiping out power, but as long as the people who can do something about it are organised, then we should be able to live through it. I think there was a mini one that hit Quebec and knocked its power out for about a day.

Strange that it's the sort of natural disaster that well developed countries are more at risk from. Usually you think of it as the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    I hope it kills off all forms of technology

I always wanted to be a fisherman :moon:
    How exactly do you plan to catch fish with all forms of technology killed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    How exactly do you plan to catch fish with all forms of technology killed?
    The way people did it 5000 years ago for example? doesn't really matter, I'll catch it with my bare hands if I have to

It's all about the simple life, wake up, catch fish, eat fish, nice *****, go to sleep

Requires mate-finding which would be bore-some but worth it I guess :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    The way people did it 5000 years ago for example? doesn't really matter, I'll catch it with my bare hands if I have to

It's all about the simple life, wake up, catch fish, eat fish, nice *****, go to sleep

Requires mate-finding which would be bore-some but worth it I guess :ahee:
    But you said all forms of technology will be killed off, I assume that means no pointy sticks with barbs attached.

If you going to kill off technology, don't be half hearted about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    But you said all forms of technology will be killed off, I assume that means no pointy sticks with barbs attached.

If you going to kill off technology, don't be half hearted about it!
    Stop being pedantic :lol:

technology=anything electronic

I also retain the right to put anything or anyone within the "technology" bracket with or without the excuse or proof of electrical capability.

ReputationRep:
    so u guys all think its a regular 12 year cycle flare and the media are hyping? just thought its receiving a lot of attention, meetings etc for something thats a common occurrence, tho im 100% sceptical of the media but the gov actually seem envolved. anyway gotta sleep will check up 2moro, cheers to posters for ure time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InfernoUk)
    so u guys all think its a regular 12 year cycle flare and the media are hyping? just thought its receiving a lot of attention, meetings etc for something thats a common occurrence, tho im 100% sceptical of the media but the gov actually seem envolved. anyway gotta sleep will check up 2moro, cheers to posters for ure time
    I guess there's a risk, but then there's always some risk. From reading a telegraph blog it looks like there's a bit of science and a lot of guessing in there.

Even if it does knock stuff out it wont be the end of the world as we know it (at least not for everyone). I'll still have some power and communications ability

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.