Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Drinking games - Good ice breaker or bad idea watch

So, starting uni I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to play some drinking games with the flatmates. Anyone with any experience of this with a new crowd, how'd it go for you?

ReputationRep:
    Go for it, they're the best way to break the ice and get to know people in my experience, I'm particularly a fan of 'I've never' and 'Ring of fire'!

ReputationRep:
    Certainly suggest it, personally I'm not a big fan because a) I'm a lightweight/can't chug drinks very well and b) I'm terrible at learning drinking games/don't know many of them so I just fail terribly

but IME most people enjoy them and they'll certainly break the ice.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be wary with I have never if you're not comfortable going along with the risque ones, but RoF is win, especially with shots or spirits.

ReputationRep:
    great idea, just don't over do the drink!

ReputationRep:
    As long as they're not terribly complicated like Kings.

ReputationRep:
    I've never played a drinking game in my life; well, I played one - we adapted this board game to drinking vodka. Holy **** did we drink a lot. I was skeptical at first but it's great fun.

(Original post by tommy5x)
    I'd be wary with I have never if you're not comfortable going along with the risque ones, but RoF is win, especially with shots or spirits.
    Yeah I probably wouldn't be too comfortable with I've never. I don't know any other drinking games! :woo: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Spin the bottle strip drinking game. Spin bottle. If bottle points at you you've got to drink in one. If you fail you have to take off clothes. I've never played this game, it sounds dull. The only drinking game that interests me is the I buy you a drink, you **** me game.

(Original post by rachelkeira)
    Go for it, they're the best way to break the ice and get to know people in my experience, I'm particularly a fan of 'I've never' and 'Ring of fire'!
    I've never... dated a guy who carries a hand bag. Next!

ReputationRep:
    yes, best way to break the ice definitely!

ReputationRep:
    Kind of excludes people who don't drink, though. What are they going to do whilst you're bonding with all the flatmates? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yes they're very fun IMO, just make sure you have no early start the next day, 95.7%(yeah that's right..) of the time you'll go way over your limit.

Personally for a nice simple one I like one of the various dice games.

Last one I played had these rules....

Snake eyes: have to finish your pint(if you're doing shots, maybe two for this?)

doubles of anything apart from 6 you pick a person and they have to drink that many fingers worth or you can split it, so if you got double 4, you could say person 2 has 2 fingers and person 5 does as an example.

double six is 6 fingers and it must be one person.

I've forgot what the two numbers were now but we had one which meant the person to your left drinks 3 fingers and one which had the person to your right do it.

I think anything else didn't do anything...though I feel like I'm missing a rule tbh..but if not then if you roll one of the above you get another go, if you roll something which doesn't do anything it's the next persons go.

Oh and a VERY simple classic. Shots and ladders. Get a Snakes and ladders board, when you land on a snake, you must down a shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Kind of excludes people who don't drink, though. What are they going to do whilst you're bonding with all the flatmates? :rolleyes:
    This is a good point. Things like I have never don't actually require alcohol, but you should be very careful not to alienate teetotallers.

ReputationRep:
    Big Bad Ass Drinking Games......http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_500wt_1154

shamelessly pluging my items on tsr

ReputationRep:
    Save I have never for when you actually know the people, don't want to scare everyone off now then do we
    A/B is a good game. Ring of fire is epic, one of my best nights started with that. 21 is good. One Frog isn't bad. There's a heads and tails game I can't quite remember the rules of, evidently it was a good game.
    They're all good games to break the ice, every relaxes has fun and importantly gets wasted.

ReputationRep:
    Drink water! Or drink shots of vodka pretending its water :o: .

Ring of Fire is a great drinking game imo, use it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd play those games but If I realised someone wasn't a drinker I would make sure to arrange a more inclusive event like us all going bowling or getting in a couple of movies. No one should be left out because they don't want to consume a toxin.

By the way for those who do wish to play such games, if you've got a bit of cash then buying a premium vodka makes the experience much better. It's much more palatable and none of that cheap burn, also the more it's been distilled, the less bad you'll find your hang over. Also keep your vodka in the freezer(along with the shot glasses) before use. Although I say that, a few premium sipping vodkas are fine for room temp.

ReputationRep:
    Play simple games like I have never or even just the two facts one lie game (forget what it's called) with or without the drink.

If somebody doesn't drink that's fine they can still play, but get them to sip orange juice instead. At the start it's all about meeting people and getting to know each other and not so much about the drinking.

ReputationRep:
    Bring an alcoholic fruit to the party game.

Drill a hole in a watermelon, fill it with vodka. Strawberries and Baileys cream. Tequila and lemon. Etc.

ReputationRep:
    drinking games are awesome and a great way to break the ice, 1 word of warning though, never try and break the ice by playing soccer saturday. It WILL end with a lot of blood and a lot of sick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Save I have never for when you actually know the people, don't want to scare everyone off now then do we
    A/B is a good game. Ring of fire is epic, one of my best nights started with that. 21 is good. One Frog isn't bad. There's a heads and tails game I can't quite remember the rules of, evidently it was a good game.
    They're all good games to break the ice, every relaxes has fun and importantly gets wasted.
    problem with Ring of Fire I found was (depends on peoples rules) it can cause too much to be drunk too fast. Sure the idea is to get pretty drunk with these games but especially if you rule that one of the cards gives a player the ability to make someone else drink anything and to a measure of their choice, that can get out of hand too quickly.

One frog is pretty good, though I'd say don't do it first, when you're all totally sober it can take AGES for anyone to slip up sometimes.

I still prefer including alcohol in normal board games, makes em real interesting. Shots and ladders, shot draughts(two player obviously, hilarious stuff).

Also more simply card games like higher or lower, red and black etc. I've heard for a four round thing before. Basically you start with someone, you find a seven out of the pack and put that face up first, then it's higher or lower then that, if they get that right it's whether the next card is red or black, if they get that right it's higher or lower then that card, finally another red or black. They have to get through all four AND you gamble on shots. Basically the more you're willing to risk the higher points you get. For example if when I said black or red you were right and it was a red Queen. Now odds are next card will be lower, so you could bet something like 8 shots you're going to get it right. If it's a king....well...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.