The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah they're good fun, as long as you don't drink too much and piss/crap yourself. That doesn't leave a very good first impression :no:
Reply 21
thetopnotch
Yeah they're good fun, as long as you don't drink too much and piss/crap yourself. That doesn't leave a very good first impression :no:

Hot damn, I've been so drunk I couldn't hold my head up before, but I've never lost control in that way :P
Reply 22
joey11223
problem with Ring of Fire I found was (depends on peoples rules) it can cause too much to be drunk too fast. Sure the idea is to get pretty drunk with these games but especially if you rule that one of the cards gives a player the ability to make someone else drink anything and to a measure of their choice, that can get out of hand too quickly.

One frog is pretty good, though I'd say don't do it first, when you're all totally sober it can take AGES for anyone to slip up sometimes.

I still prefer including alcohol in normal board games, makes em real interesting. Shots and ladders, shot draughts(two player obviously, hilarious stuff).

Also more simply card games like higher or lower, red and black etc. I've heard for a four round thing before. Basically you start with someone, you find a seven out of the pack and put that face up first, then it's higher or lower then that, if they get that right it's whether the next card is red or black, if they get that right it's higher or lower then that card, finally another red or black. They have to get through all four AND you gamble on shots. Basically the more you're willing to risk the higher points you get. For example if when I said black or red you were right and it was a red Queen. Now odds are next card will be lower, so you could bet something like 8 shots you're going to get it right. If it's a king....well...:biggrin:

Fair point with the ring of fire. I've never played it with any person any amount. We've had any person 4 fingers. Waterfall is the best one, especially if you can chug well.
Zorg
Fair point with the ring of fire. I've never played it with any person any amount. We've had any person 4 fingers. Waterfall is the best one, especially if you can chug well.

ah that's fine then. I have heard folks who have said you can say any amount(in their rules) which is just dumb.

With Ring of fire do you stick to pints or ever to shots/shorts? I've only ever played it once actually, that was pints, I think shots might complicate it...unless before you were drunk you worked out say what a pint of 4% beer/cider was worth in shots. I mean say a vodka of 40%, I suppose a pint is equal to 56.8ml of vodka made up with lemonade/water etc? Since 568ml of 4% would equal 56.8ml of 40% diluted? I assume that's how it would work, correct me if that doesn't work maths folks.
TheSownRose
Kind of excludes people who don't drink, though. What are they going to do whilst you're bonding with all the flatmates? :rolleyes:

im pretty sure thats their problem
Flip cup FTW!!!!!!!!
VersaEmerge

I don't agree unless they're being anal about it. I drink myself, though not too often(when I do it is usually to excess, which is why I limit myself because I can't pace myself at all.), but I totally understand why some don't at all. They have to realise many do though, and let you play your games without complaining, but personally I'd try my best to include them in other activities, arrange day time things like bowling, cinema, eating out, visiting interesting places etc.
Reply 27
joey11223
ah that's fine then. I have heard folks who have said you can say any amount(in their rules) which is just dumb.

With Ring of fire do you stick to pints or ever to shots/shorts? I've only ever played it once actually, that was pints, I think shots might complicate it...unless before you were drunk you worked out say what a pint of 4% beer/cider was worth in shots. I mean say a vodka of 40%, I suppose a pint is equal to 56.8ml of vodka made up with lemonade/water etc? Since 568ml of 4% would equal 56.8ml of 40% diluted? I assume that's how it would work, correct me if that doesn't work maths folks.

We had an array of shot-type-thing and spirits, working our way through a bottle at a time so people were pretty much always drinking the same.
Yeah, good ice breaker!
tommy5x
We had an array of shot-type-thing and spirits, working our way through a bottle at a time so people were pretty much always drinking the same.

oh yeah good idea, dunno why I didn't think of that? What did you ever do about someone disliking something?

As an example I'm a cider man, this can put me a slight handicap as ciders can be 0.5-1% stronger then beers( mass produced stuff, obviously premium ciders are often 6-8%). I just left it be as I cannot stand beer.
(edited 13 years ago)
joey11223

When i've played ring of fire, we just use everyone's drinks. So there could be vodka and coke, jd and then beer. It never ends well.
thetopnotch

ouch, did you do one of those...or both?:eek3: :biggrin:
VersaEmerge

I'm actually pretty sure it's the problem with the people bringing up 'group bonding' activities the whole group can't take part in.
TheSownRose
I'm actually pretty sure it's the problem with the people bringing up 'group bonding' activities the whole group can't take part in.

I was good though I did quote you earlier. Can has cookie?
Reply 34
joey11223
oh yeah good idea, dunno why I didn't think of that? What did you ever do about someone disliking something?

As an example I'm a cider man, this can put me a slight handicap as ciders can be 0.5-1% stronger then beers( mass produced stuff, obviously premium ciders are often 6-8%). I just left it be as I cannot stand beer.

I'd say a general rule is if they don't like the beverage available at the time, they can opt for another of equal or greater proof. Say you have some apple sourz. If you don't want them, you can choose from the spirits. If you don't like spirits then you have to simply man the hell up and get it over with :P
Ring of fire is good, although in my experience, after the fourth or fifth round when everyone is slaughtered, the rules seem to get changed so stuff you wouldnt want to be doing in front of people you didnt know very well.
tommy5x
I'd say a general rule is if they don't like the beverage available at the time, they can opt for another of equal or greater proof. Say you have some apple sourz. If you don't want them, you can choose from the spirits. If you don't like spirits then you have to simply man the hell up and get it over with :P

if you won't take vodka, you'll have the Hapsburg premium reserve!:biggrin: TASTE THE FIRE!
Reply 37
I found ring of fire worked pretty well last year - there was a really big group of us playing it so our turns didn't come round that often so we didn't end up drinking too much in the end. 'I have never' was incorporated into this game but people never asked about anything too embarrassing so it was fun.
I've only played Spin the Bottle and I've Never... but they're a lot of fun. Definitely recommend it. Great idea.
Reply 39
joey11223

Doesn't matter, everyone just drinks what they want and mixes their own drink. That way people aren't forced to drink what is excessive for them and others aren't held back. If you think it's unfair you're being far too competitive and ruining the game.

Latest

Trending

Trending