Turn on thread page Beta

Low iron levels and blood donation watch

So basically I showed up to give blood for the 4th time and they said my iron levels were too low to donate which I thought was weird considering they had never even been questioned before (for those who haven't experienced there are 2 tests and i've always passed the 1st one but this time I didn't pass the 1st or the 2nd..)
    The nurses there were fairly vague about it as I guess they can't advise like a doctor can, they just said I can't give blood for 6 months which is annoying! I have a blood test booked with my GP next week but I was wondering does this mean I wil definately have to go on mediciation? Any ideas as to why my iron levels would drop so much in 5 months (since I last gave blood)?
    I know you aren't all doctors and I am going to find out from the GP anyway but just wondeirng if anyone has any experience/ideas?
    Thanks!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the obvious suggestion of anaemia, you might just have been eating less meat or iron-rich vegetables. It may be nothing to worry about if you feel fine. By no means is it definite you'll have to take iron tablets, though your doctor may suggest you do just to be safe.

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me and it was because I hadn't been paying much attention to my diet. You can find lists of iron-rich foods on line, and Vitamin C helps iron absorption so orange juice and/or those fizzy tablets.

Your dr is the best person to advise and will be able to prescribe strong iron tablets if necessary. I used spatone which Boots had on special offer (fortunately, it's rather expensive), made me feel much better and I did pass my next blood donation test

ReputationRep:
    4th time? You sound like you donate a lot, was there much time between donations? I know they don't let you donate loads at a time but if you had your body would replace the lost blood cells at a quicker rate but not the iron. But yeah, you doc will be best

ReputationRep:
    Just go out of your way to pick up some iron rich foods when you go shopping and some supplements wouldn't hurt either. There's plenty of nice "fortified" cereals that contain a lot of iron. Try some green leafy vegetables and some red meats.

ReputationRep:
    when i found my iron was low the doctor told me to just try to eat loads more foods that are high in iron. sadly that didnt work though so ive gotta go back and theyre prob gonna put me on iron supplements. that may be an option for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So basically I showed up to give blood for the 4th time and they said my iron levels were too low to donate which I thought was weird considering they had never even been questioned before (for those who haven't experienced there are 2 tests and i've always passed the 1st one but this time I didn't pass the 1st or the 2nd..)
    The nurses there were fairly vague about it as I guess they can't advise like a doctor can, they just said I can't give blood for 6 months which is annoying! I have a blood test booked with my GP next week but I was wondering does this mean I wil definitely have to go on mediciation? Any ideas as to why my iron levels would drop so much in 5 months (since I last gave blood)?
    I know you aren't all doctors and I am going to find out from the GP anyway but just wondeirng if anyone has any experience/ideas?
    Thanks!
    xx
    If you are female and your monthly cycle was heavy then your body loses Iron. Iron helps the Red Blood Cells carry oxygen around the body and help heal and mend cells in the body, so it is important that your levels are high when donating blood as these qualities are the main reason. When you give blood your body also makes more Red Blood Cycle to replace the amount you have given. When you are low on Iron your body has not the resources to replace the blood you have given away.

They say 6months so that your iron levels can be maintained at that level for a period of time and also where your body is capable to function properly.

To improve your Iron levels you need to eat red meats, tomatoes and other things that are high in iron. Your doctors will advise you on how to improve it after taking blood tests to see how good or bad the problem is. You will only need to take Iron tablets if your Iron levels are seriously low. Otherwise he/she will give you a list of foods that will boost you up.

If is nothing to be worried about loads of people go through this and its an easy fix. So do not be worried. xx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.