Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have 9 A*s and 2 A's at GCSE
    kind of messed up my as by getting abbb
    being predicted A*BB (plz dnt say anything like'convince ur teachers') its not an option.
    My ukcat was 680
    reallly want to get it into med

do u kno of any unis that might consider me without the minimum predicted grades??
    Helpp me outt any advice im so so stuck

ReputationRep:
    I SERIOUSLY doubt any university will consider you without AAB or AAA predictions.

Your GCSE and UKCAT are brilliant.

Your AS aren't too bad.

You just need the predictions or otherwise it's graduate entry, etc.

Beg, scream, pay, do whatever it takes... !

ReputationRep:
    Apply this year.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, get your parents to talk to the teachers

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool are not too concerned with A levels in that ASs play no part in the process - you probably still need to have the offer in your predicted grades though. Best hope is to beg for them to be put up. Loads of people have them exaggerated so you wouldn't be alone.

ReputationRep:
    Apply for universities more focused on UKCAT scores than A Level, but you really need to boost those predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    If there's no way of getting them to increase your predicted grades then there really isn't any point in applying this year. In a lot of cases (possibly all, but am not going to look on all the websites to double check right now), the first thing medical schools will do is look at the predicted grades and if they don't meet the minimum, the application will be rejected without them looking at anything else. Medical schools have so many applications to look at that not meeting the requirements is an easy way to get rid of a number without having to look at them any further.

e.g. UEA (one of the medical schools with AAB requirements): "When we receive your UCAS application it will firstly undergo an ‘academic screening'. This means we will check to make sure that you have the academic qualifications (or are predicted the academic qualifications) that we require for consideration." and "Candidates who pass this stage will then have their personal statement and reference sections of the UCAS application form screened for suitability."

Aberdeen "Upon receipt of UCAS forms in October, all UCAS applications undergo an initial review to determine the suitability of academic qualifications offered and subsequent achievements. Applications, which clearly do not fulfil our basic minimum academic requirements, are not processed further."

Keele "All applications are first read by our admissions team. If your application does not meet minimum academic requirements it will be rejected at this initial stage. If academic requirements are met, applications will be passed to our admissions tutors."

I won't look for any more but this is a standard comment I've found numerous times across the various medical school websites so my advice would be that if you really can't do anything more to improve your predictions, plan a really good gap year and apply with your grades in hand.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't apply this year if I were in this position. I would most probably work hard this year to get AAA/AAB and then apply for 2012 entry

ReputationRep:
    It would be best to apply next year as others have said.

I am doing the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    I would apply this year, just not for Medicine.
    Then if you get AAB/AAA, you can re-apply.

ReputationRep:
    Why can you not convince your teachers to raise your predicted grades? Even by one. You'd rather be AAB than A*BB tbh. Get your parents to complain the headmaster! Or something!

ReputationRep:
    Did you tell them that they wont look at your application with A*BB?
    Did you tell them that u need ABB?
    Did you talked with your tutor about it?
    Did you try to talk to the Principal?

Meet your teachers in those 2 B subject and ask them nicely whether they could do anything. If they are being cocky and say no then go to your principal and tell him your situation. As long as you havent got 70% overal in both of them it shouldnt be a problem..and even then u could resit.
    Use the trick of telling them that u are going to resit the modules

ReputationRep:
    Inshallah u will become a doctor some day but ur A grades will not help u hold a stethoscope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knugs)
    Did you tell them that they wont look at your application with A*BB?
    Did you tell them that u need ABB?
    Did you talked with your tutor about it?
    Did you try to talk to the Principal?

Meet your teachers in those 2 B subject and ask them nicely whether they could do anything. If they are being cocky and say no then go to your principal and tell him your situation. As long as you havent got 70% overal in both of them it shouldnt be a problem..and even then u could resit.
    Use the trick of telling them that u are going to resit the modules
    This. I was predicted a B when I took my ALevels, from the straight A's (before A*). I went to my teacher who gave the B and she changed it immediately, she was very nice about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say definatly apply this year
    You might as well- sure you're a lot less likely to get an offer, but it's always worth a shot especially considering your excellent UKCAT.
    If you don't get an offer, just apply next year after you've got your (hopefully good) results
    You don't really have anything to lose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InsaneFandom)
    I'd say definatly apply this year
    You might as well- sure you're a lot less likely to get an offer, but it's always worth a shot especially considering your excellent UKCAT.
    If you don't get an offer, just apply next year after you've got your (hopefully good) results
    You don't really have anything to lose
    thats exactly what I mean! its not like i will go through depression for getting 4 rejections...
    but thats what im confused about-WHERE shall i apply?

ReputationRep:
    Without AAB or higher, universites wont look at your application. Sorry. Even though the rest of your achievements are excellent. EIther boost your predicted grades for this years application or do your A levels and apply next year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 27, 2010

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.