Turn on thread page Beta

"dealing with" vs. "treating like human beings" watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm autistic and received a neg rep just now for my use of the phrase "Anyone who has dealt with girls..."

"maybe you should stop "dealing" with girls and start treating them like human beings."

I am trying to make mental notes of what phrases are currently offensive and upsetting and which are currently acceptable. It's a real minefield, or shifting sands and all that - it's hard to keep up with fashions that move so fast!
    I was under the impression that the notion of "dealing with" whatever kind of person was an acceptable concept - dealing with children, dealing with men, dealing with women, dealing with drunk people, dealing with the police... it just means interacting with them to me.

But am I right to infer that "dealing with" implies treating them perhaps like animals, in some inhumane way?

Thanks for any clarification.

ReputationRep:
    Dealing with fellow human beings can be a pain.

That neg doesn't make sense really, maybe the person who sent it to you is just kidding or doesn't like you. Or it is just some frustrated girl lol. :p:

ReputationRep:
    well I guess it can be interpreted in different ways by different folk, I can see how it might offend a few but I also see how it can just mean as you said 'interacting with girls.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    I'm autistic and received a neg rep just now for my use of the phrase "Anyone who has dealt with girls..."
    Nothing wrong with that phrase, although its appropriateness might depend on the rest of the sentence. "Dealt" implies you have completed an action with the subject, girls.

If you are a warden you might say "Anyone who has dealt with girls in a young offenders institution will know they are a total pain in the ass."

If you are a fellow pupil you might not say "Anyone who has dealt with girls in classes will know they are a lot of fun, but often giggle when they should be learning".

Using "dealt" in the second sentence is far too formal and while the sentence can be understood, it's just odd because, unless you are the teacher instructing the girls, you've not completed an action / solved a problem. "Dealt" is an offhand and cold way of speaking about these girls. A better word might be "interacted" or "worked".

ReputationRep:
    I guess you will just have to deal with the ***** who negged you.

ReputationRep:
    Say whatever you want, and let people be offended if they want to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cttp_ngaf)

"maybe you should stop "dealing" with girls and start treating them like human beings."

I am trying to make mental notes of what phrases are currently offensive and upsetting and which are currently acceptable. It's a real minefield, or shifting sands and all that - it's hard to keep up with fashions that move so fast!
    I was under the impression that the notion of "dealing with" whatever kind of person was an acceptable concept - dealing with children, dealing with men, dealing with women, dealing with drunk people, dealing with the police... it just means interacting with them to me.

But am I right to infer that "dealing with" implies treating them perhaps like animals, in some inhumane way?

Thanks for any clarification.
    You're right, and the neg was hugely unfair. I'll rep you to try and even it out a bit.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2010
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.