Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So i want to learn guitar... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right now i have too much time on my hands.
    I'm well into Dire Straits. Not just Marks vocals, but i love the sound of all the instruments.
    Im 19 now and i HUGELY regret not getting into music. My problem is im SO picky about what kind of music i listen to.
    That said, there are some songs i'd love to recreate myself.
    Nothing fantastic, but my main first goal is to be able to play parts of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64vvX6-d_JY

Skip to 1:10.

But eventually i would like to be able to play other things like solos in:

Knocking on heavens door
    Sweet child o mine
    Sultans of Swing
    Brothers in Arms

You get the idea, i only really like Dire Straits and Guns n Roses. Anyway questions:

1. How realistically long would it take to reach my first goal? I dont want to pay for a tutor, id like to self teach or use DVD's/internet guides

2. Being 19, am i too late to grasp this idea of mine?

3. How much would i need to spend for a very basic electric guitar and amp?

Thanks!
    Please quote when writing to me.

1. Depends how much time you spend practicing

2. No

3. £80-£100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astra_K)
    I'm well into Dire Straits. Not just Marks vocals, but i love the sound of all the instruments.
    Im 19 now and i HUGELY regret not getting into music. My problem is im SO picky about what kind of music i listen to.

Knocking on heavens door
    Sweet child o mine
    Sultans of Swing
    Brothers in Arms

You get the idea, i only really like Dire Straits and Guns n Roses. Anyway questions:

1. How realistically long would it take to reach my first goal? I dont want to pay for a tutor, id like to self teach or use DVD's/internet guides

Thanks!
    you want to get:

a fender squire stratocaster - £100-150
    http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and...r-RW-Black/2MY

a line 6 spider IV amp, decide the wattage for yourself based on your budget.

you'll also need: a strap, lots of picks (they get broke/lost, 20 is a good amount), a bag if travelling, a tuner is a must and any books you want, although i just use tabs.

I don't think you need to start with a Fender :p:

And an online tuner would suffice.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Have fun getting sultans of swing learnt. I've been playing that song for around 5 years now and still can't do the fast twidly bits at the end (although to be honest I don't often try to learn them properly)

Brothers in Arms is much easier.
    The thing with Mark Knopfler is that in my eyes he is one of the finest guitarists of all time, so it's extremely unlikely that you'll be that good in the short term. His style is really quite refined;you may be able to play the notes at the right time but that's not all it takes - to play a Knopfler song you need to play it with the same feeling and passion as he does, and THAT is so hard.
    Can't say anything about the other song as I've never tried to play it.

I'd suggest starting out on an acoustic and when you feel ready, get yourself a cheap starter electric, maybe after a year or 18 months, sooner if you're taking professional lessons and are progressing well.

Good luck to you though.

ReputationRep:
    As said before, how quickly you will reach the level you want will depend on how motivated you are and how much time you put into practice. I have been playing guitar for about 5 years, but I only made real progress in the 2nd year. Ever since then I have pretty much made no progress and just play songs as a hobby - still using the same skills I picked up when I was actually learning. I just don't have time to practice really. I think a good idea would be to plan a routine, so you practice daily for 20 minutes or something along those lines. Learning songs won't help you progress so much, but throw a few songs into your routine to keep it interesting. To make rapid progress you need to learn scales and keep doing different exercises (tedious/boring) which can all be found online, depending on the genre you wish to learn.

Also, you may come to a point where you wish to try a new genre, e.g. classical guitar. Most rock music does not involve finger-picking, but if you wanted to play a classical song in the future you may find yourself learning a new skill and feeling like a beginner all over again. Exploring different genres keeps it exciting. A good guitar player can play many genres, not just one.

On the rock/metal genre: when learning songs, start slowly with a metronome until you get everything perfect. Then speed it up a little and practice until you nail it again. Repeat until you get to the right tempo.
    On a beginner guitar: I don't think you should bother with a starter guitar, just get a decent one.

ReputationRep:
    You are defiantly not to old to start learning. Depending how much you practice will determine how quick you learn, so cant say for sure. If you want to progress fast, you probably want to practice scales, although that is very boring.

ReputationRep:
    To play solos you need to learn music theory, which takes longer than just learning to play guitar. Learning theory takes a LOT of motivation since it's boring no matter how you tackle it. For solos, learn loads of pentatonic scales and you'll be sorted, they're the basis of pretty much all guitar solos.

As far as cheap equipment goes, get a Squire or Epiphone and an amp as cheap as you want. If you seriously consider getting into guitar I'd recommend paying as much as you can for a guitar (£300-500 will get you a semi-decent guitar) and then get a cheap amp. It's easy enough to get a more expensive amp if you want to scale up. If you buy a cheap guitar AND a cheap amp it will only result in you having to buy a new guitar and amp when you scale up, which is much more expensive in the long run.

But I wouldn't set my sights as high as Mark knopfler and Slash when you're starting out. Learn the basics and build yourself up. If you're really as picky in music taste as you say it may be hard finding the songs which are attainable but provide a challenge (which is where getting a tutor really pays off IMO), but you'll get there eventually. Most people I know who are self-taught reach the stage of power chords and root chords then plateau since you can get by with just those simple skills even if it isn't all that flash.

ReputationRep:
    www.justinguitar.com

Man. I wish I had a Yamaha Pacifica. That humbucker would come in handy. :thrasher:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm thanks for the replies.
    I only wanted to try it on a very low budget of like £130 max for everything.
    Im not even sure if i would stick to it or if it just turns out to be another one of my short term 'fads'

ReputationRep:
    You won't be able to get much for £130. You may be able to find a 'starter pack' (cheap guitar and amp together) but they're generally such a bad quality they're little more than a toy. The problem with guitar is if you go too cheap then the equipment really can hold you back; the amp will sound terrible (lots of static and crackle, cleans may sound distorted) and the guitar won't stay in tune so it's pretty near impossible to sound good. And if you don't sound good then the chances of you keeping it up are significantly reduced.

If you have a low budget, go for an acoustic guitar. You can obviously get more for your money spending £130 on an acoustic guitar than an electric guitar + amp. The downside is guitar solos won't sound quite as cool, but when starting out solos won't be your highest priority anyway.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...RIC+GUITAR.htm

If you're serious about the guitar you'll spend more on a guitar/amp combo further down the line when you've improved. Might also be a rewards to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    In addition to this, I think you need to listen to a lot more music (if you don't mind me saying). It'll improve your playing no end if you listen to a larger variety of guitarists, each with their own styles and ideas.

Best of luck anyhow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astra_K)

Knocking on heavens door
    Sweet child o mine
    Sultans of Swing
    Brothers in Arms

Thanks!

1. How long is a piece of string, students progress at varying speeds.

2. Not at all.

3. Like someone said you won't be needing Blackstar amp stack just yet! I'd suggest a 'Line 6 Spider IV amp' probably 15 watt as it'll be cheaper. Or a the 'Peavey' made alternative.

Then get a basic starter guitar you can get some for £80 or so at gear4music.com but that is very basic. Or even cheaper from ebay. I finally purchased my dream guitar last week after saving for years for £650 so things get pretty expensive later on!

What I'd suggest is you learn how to read guitar tabs.(www.ultimate-guitar.com) This is the most straightforward and theory-free way of reading music. It doesn't tell you the note names it just shows where to put each finger on which string on the guitar. Its not ideal but its the quickest way of starting t0 get to grips with guitar and how it works. Without getting bored and bogged down in shed loads of theory.

Please do ask any questions!

Source: I've just finished teaching Piano and and Guitar out in Dubai.

ReputationRep:
    I started at 17, it's all about how motivated you are and how much you practise. My first was a jackson js30 but i got rid of it a month later for a washburn. Don't get a really cheap electric guitar if you actually wana learn.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.
    I have no idea what i need though. Im kind of familiar with amps, i have one in my car. And know about wattage. Have no idea what a fender is or those pedals guitarists use or how to change the sound or anything.

ReputationRep:
    it took me very very little time to pick up the guitar

i find it easy, but i have heaps of motivation. do you?

it will not take you long - weeks

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBnexvpGMgg

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys thanks for the help.
    Would this be rubbish:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=220282009225

It has good feedback for a starter kit...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.