Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Good shampoo and conditioner for my hair type? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey folks!

I have read before it's more important to buy a good conditioner then a good shampoo, a cheap shampoo containing wheat germ is fine, but you should invest in a quality brand for the conditioner.

Not sure if that's right, either way I'm looking for some advice on the best products, I usually get what's on offer but I've heard bad things about what a few cheap brands do to your hair in the long run.

Anyway my hair type is med to dark brown, bit past shoulder length , it's quite thick though not overly so, I find it can dry out quite quickly and so I've gotten into the habit of washing it more often, though actually this is going to make it worse so I've cut back to washing it every other day now.

I was also thinking of purchasing one of the more intensive conditioners? The sort you only use once every 1-2 weeks and leave it for a while?

Anyway here are some photos to give you hair care guru's an idea, these are over a year old but meh, it's still a similar length. Just put them in Spoiler tags to reduce the size of the post. I think the camera exaggerates the shine btw.

Cousin it...
    Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

cheers for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    You look like a girl from behind. Cut your hair.

ReputationRep:
    Trevor Sorbie used to have THE best shampoo, conditioner, and conditioning mask for your hair type - but they stupidly discontinued it this year. It was just perfect, luckily I had about a year's supply stocked up

Other good ones are the blue Umberto Giannini ones, the Straight & Protect Toni&Guy products, and the Poker Straight Lee Stafford stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Hey folks!

I have read before it's more important to buy a good conditioner then a good shampoo, a cheap shampoo containing wheat germ is fine, but you should invest in a quality brand for the conditioner.

Not sure if that's right, either way I'm looking for some advice on the best products, I usually get what's on offer but I've heard bad things about what a few cheap brands do to your hair in the long run.

Anyway my hair type is med to dark brown, bit past shoulder length , it's quite thick though not overly so, I find it can dry out quite quickly and so I've gotten into the habit of washing it more often, though actually this is going to make it worse so I've cut back to washing it every other day now.

I was also thinking of purchasing one of the more intensive conditioners? The sort you only use once every 1-2 weeks and leave it for a while?

Anyway here are some photos to give you hair care guru's an idea, these are over a year old but meh, it's still a similar length. Just put them in Spoiler tags to reduce the size of the post. I think the camera exaggerates the shine btw.

Cousin it...
    Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

cheers for any advice.
    I have hair like you too. Thick, but long at the back, and then I have about... 3 layers? So all I do is use head and shoulder 2 in one shampoo and conditioner, and then I proceed to blow drying my hair as straight as I can with a round brush, and then I straighten it (but I always use heat protection serum or spray) and then when I'm done straightening, I use oil and that keeps my hair very nice and healthy looking!

It works like a true charm that's for sure! Try that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talon1579)
    You look like a girl from behind. Cut your hair.
    it's a good job I didn't post any pics from behind eh? The first one is of me looking down slightly and throwing everything over the front.

You know I was going to put a little disclaimer at the end, this is about hair products not the hair itself, if you don't like, don't post. But then I thought, nah people will probably realise what the thread is about..

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.