25.89%
    Small123 (Pre-uni)
    7.61%
    JChoudhry (Pre-uni)
    9.14%
    Goldfishy (Pre-uni)
    6.09%

ReputationRep:
    Both my A-level teachers would have had no problem with STEP I, II or III. I was very lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jj193)
    Anyway, he once went remotely off topic when we started FP1 (Complex plane) and pointlessly quized the class on What infinity is BIGGER?? and ended up intuitively 'geussing' the topic (i.e. R^2>R), he didn't show us anything - just claimed that there is a proof that even he couldn't understand...
    Ironically, the cardinalities of R^2 and R are the same...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    What I was trying to get at was a level of "confidence/comfort in the subject" in a teacher beyond just being able to do the A-level questions. STEP I was about the best thing that came to mind, but it's not exactly what I wanted.
    Most cannot do every A Level question that is fired at them. The more conscientious ones work through the exercise the night before to make sure they can answer everything but some will just wing it.

Before I taught each module, I did every question in the textbook and every past paper and then sat down and wrote a scheme of work from scratch. This level of preparation is unusual. Many teachers just make sure they are a few pages ahead in the textbook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    This level of preparation is unusual.
    Yeah, I think you might need to see someone about that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jj193)
    Anyway, I heard the teaching (PGCE) courses are quite demanding. Examples of people being **** at maths to start isn't important - aslong as they pass at the correct level by the end, surely?
    If only that were true. We pass anyone and everyone. There are two criteria, a pulse and an ability to communicate in English (the second is optional).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unbounded)
    Ironically, the cardinalities of R^2 and R are the same...
    That was my point. I didn't have the guts to correct him.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SimonM)
    Yeah, I think you might need to see someone about that.
    Ha ha, I wanted to do the best for my students ok? I used to work past midnight every night and all weekend planning lessons. These days I sit on here all night and plan my lessons as I walk down the corridor to my classroom. There is no measurable difference in outcomes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Ha ha, I wanted to do the best for my students ok? I used to work past midnight every night and all weekend planning lessons. These days I sit on here all night and plan my lessons as I walk down the corridor to my classroom. There is no measurable difference in outcomes.
    This way you reach a greater number of pupils, and are filed in police records as a groomer of children?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SimonM)
    This way you reach a greater number of pupils, and are filed in police records as a groomer of children?
    Quite probably. At least I have a plausible reason for hanging around this particular playground (professional development). What excuse is DF going to use?

ReputationRep:
    Heh :\ when I was in year 12, my form teacher (a maths teacher) asked me multiple times for help with C3 exam questions because he couldn't do them (and he was teaching C3 and C4 to A level students, dear me...) He even had a degree in business studies - I didn't know until then that people are allowed to teach up to A level without a degree in the subject ...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Simba)
    Heh :\ when I was in year 12, my form teacher (a maths teacher) asked me multiple times for help with C3 exam questions because he couldn't do them (and he was teaching C3 and C4 to A level students, dear me...) He even had a degree in business studies - I didn't know until then that people are allowed to teach up to A level without a degree in the subject ...
    You don't even have to have a GCSE in the subject you teach. If my Headteacher instructed me to teach Mandarin Chinese and Expressive Dance tomorrow, that's what I would be doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    It's annoying, isn't it? :p:
    I'm lucky my dad is a mathmo, my cousins seem to want me to be a doctor though...
    You're lucky in that case, I'm the first in my near family that will be applying to uni so all the expectations are on me

(Original post by nuodai)
    Yup. It's surprising how many A-level Maths students can't derive the quadratic formula (for example).
    I could in year 9 or 10, but I forgot now :p:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by JChoudhry)
    I could in year 9 or 10, but I forgot now :p:
    Solution
    Let ax^2+bx+c=0, so that x^2 + \frac{b}{a}x + \frac{c}{a} = 0, and complete the square on the LHS

ReputationRep:
    Don't also forget to add the constant b/2a
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by boromir9111)
    Don't also forget to add the constant b/2a
    You don't need to do that, just complete the square and solve for x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Solution
    Let ax^2+bx+c=0, so that x^2 + \frac{b}{a}x + \frac{c}{a} = 0, and complete the square on the LHS
    Wow, completing the square? :facepalm: I remember the first part quite clearly :p: But then I forgot, but completing the square? :facepalm: Wow, I feel so dumb now :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to all

Also if they are any people involved deeply in olympiad maths please PM me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerBoy)
    Congratulations to all

Also if they are any people involved deeply in olympiad maths please PM me!
    Long time, no see. You definitely deserve a say in this thread, despite its silliness. How did you get on in terms of the Olympiads?

ReputationRep:
    What is the furthest anyone on TSR has been in the Olympiads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Small123)
    Long time, no see. You definitely deserve a say in this thread, despite its silliness. How did you get on in terms of the Olympiads?
    Ha, hello there! I'm afraid I cant contribute much to this thread, since I frequent mathlinks rather than here, i'm pretty sure all candidates are worthy ones

For olympiads, got into the kangaroo kind of boring and all, got certificate of something etc kind of boring really. Although I've improved significantly! Just solved IMO 1995 question 2, the inequality, but looking for another solution. I wouldn't say i was IMO standard yet but for example i solved questions 1 and 4 of this year's IMO. That's not to say i've mastered bmo2 or anything, although most bmo1 questions are actually pretty easy now. I've been so immersed in olympiad maths i haven't done any proper maths, so that's what i'm doing just now. e.g. Had even forgotten how to differentiate a week or so ago ; but i've now done adv higher differentiation.

How about you? :hifro:

i'd imagine you would have improved significantly as well! i recall our discussions back in the IMC thread, i was saying how i could only do geometry :mmm: although maybe you haven't gone down the olympiad route, which i suppose is more sound in the long-term?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.