Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im currently at birmingham uni studying economics and was wondering how i could get into investment banking? obviously an internship but where any sites would be helpful thank you and any other general advice would be great.

ReputationRep:
    I think thats what certain people in your university are for. Ask them.

But hey, no harm in seeking outside advice. I hope someone can really help.

ReputationRep:
    Read the stickyfied threads on the top.

ReputationRep:
    birmingham = fail. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    if you cn get onto a spring week then you have a chance to intern and convert. otherwise you would have to go the long way round of doing something else and doing an mba. either way your life would be easier at a target uni but theres lots of other things to do in the financial sector

ReputationRep:
    Life wudnt be fun if everything is easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet_poison)
    Is this what you tell yourself to make yourself feel better? If you truly believe this than drop out of university and still aim to get into Investment banking, according to you if you do this your life would become very, very fun.

ReputationRep:
    interesting!

ReputationRep:
    Why dont u try and grow some balls and be a real man.. than a loser who has never achieved anything on his own.. wat do u knw spending half ur life wasted with some whores and come and judge others.. Tell me one thing u have done on your own without your daddy's help

(Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    Is this what you tell yourself to make yourself feel better? If you truly believe this than drop out of university and still aim to get into Investment banking, according to you if you do this your life would become very, very fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5timelucky)
    birmingham = fail. :yep:
    5timelucky=fail

ReputationRep:
    Lets say you are an A* student and you are good at everything but unfortunately when u r doing ur A levels your father passes away and maybe it was 6 months ago it still affects you it was ur dad afterall.. and you mess up your A levels coz you cant cope with the grief and it might take you year to get over it so u go to an average uni instead of oxbridge which u cud hv possibly done.. Would you say tht person is not talented and deserving?? Would youu??
    Or lets say you worked hard all your ******* life living in a war country and after 18 years u lose your identity and you have to start from scratch and u doo but obv the ppl who havent been thru this wud hv an advantage over you since they had a perfect life.. but still u do manage to start your journey and you are 18 years behind ang after 2 years u make up for thise 18 years without anybodys help on ur own no one to guide you and maybe u r not at oxford but you are still at a good uni.. would tht make you a loser??
    So guys just coz u have had it easy doesnt mean u look down upon others.. be happy that you werent in those curcumstances.. be happy you havent lost a loved one to cancer, be happy tht u r not crippled and at the same time respect other who have seen the ugly side of life.. Coz trust me wat you have today can vanish in seconds.
    Who is looking down at you? I was responding to the claim that 'Life wudnt be fun if everything is easy'.

PS, if that happened to me, I wouldn't settle for any university. Why go to a university that you know you don't want to go to? To redo your A levels will take 1 year, 2 years in some circumstances but it can be done. I wouldn't let tragic events ruin my life more than it already has.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly in the same way someone from an average uni cud be an I banker tommorow with the same attitude as yours.

Who is looking down at you? I was responding to the claim that 'Life wudnt be fun if everything is easy'.

PS, if that happened to me, I wouldn't settle for any university. Why go to a university that you know you don't want to go to? To redo your A levels will take 1 year, 2 years in some circumstances but it can be done. I wouldn't let tragic events ruin my life more than it already has.

ReputationRep:
    girl's got issues

ReputationRep:
    Verbal Reasoning test Q1

Extract: Life wouldn't be fun if everything is easy

Question: Life would be fun if everything is difficult

- True
    - False
    - Cannot Say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    Verbal Reasoning test Q1

- True
    - False
    - Cannot Say
    Cannot say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tony_Soprano1)
    Im currently at birmingham uni studying economics and was wondering how i could get into investment banking? obviously an internship but where any sites would be helpful thank you and any other general advice would be great.
    I think to start you would need to be a bit more specific with what you mean by 'get into investment banking'. If you mean front office(sales, trading), then as others have said, unfortunately they have target universities which are used to fill the majority of places, of which Birmingham isn't one. However, if you mean operations or IT, then you could have a chance. You could target first getting a summer internship somewhere like settlements or clearing and if you do a great job, you could get invited back to a grad job in ops and work your way up from there. Although there are many here who will say it is boring, it is very well paid by most graduate job standards in other industries and many make a career out of a job in back/middle office.
    Other than a role in Ops, then really you need to get a First in your degree and possibly then go on to study a Masters at one of the target unis (e.g. LSE, Imperial).

Check out the many Sticky threads on here and read up the many websites there are on grad jobs in IB to see if it is really for you and whether you have a chance. Otherwise there are lots of other jobs in Finance that aren't in IB.

GR
    gradrecruiter.blogspot.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    Verbal Reasoning test Q1

- True
    - False
    - Cannot Say
    False by logic, you cannot invert implications
    if P --> Q
    then -P --> -Q is false

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.