Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'm applying to the Maths and Philosophy course at Oxford, and have a couple of questions to ask.

Firstly, I'm extremely keen on both subjects but am more confident of my ability in Maths (subjects/grades-wise). I recall reading somewhere that a candidate applying for Maths and Philosophy will automatically be considered for just Maths if he/she is rejected- Is this true? (And un-relatedly, it's interesting that the admissions rate for Maths&Phil seems consistently higher than just for Maths..)

Secondly, how can I best prepare for the interviews, especially in Philosophy? Will it be slanted towards Maths in any way? (e.g. Logic, the Philosophy of Maths). I read a fair amount and try to get my hands on books on the recommended reading list, but have no clue as to whether I'm really cut out for the course or up to standard- it's all too easy to flatter yourself on being a critical thinker!

Thank you very much for any help! It's rather difficult to find information specific to the course because the number of applicants is so small.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manywaters)
    I recall reading somewhere that a candidate applying for Maths and Philosophy will automatically be considered for just Maths if he/she is rejected- Is this true?
    You possibly read that here — so yes, it is true.

Secondly, how can I best prepare for the interviews, especially in Philosophy? Will it be slanted towards Maths in any way? (e.g. Logic, the Philosophy of Maths).
    I'd imagine that it varies from college to college. If you're lucky, you might end up with lots of silly questions about Alfie, Beth and Gemma trying on hats and what not but don't be too surprised if you get asked to discuss teapots or Plato. Mentioning something interesting in your PS might be a way to steer a more general interview towards an area you're more confident in but it's not a reliable strategy.

I read a fair amount and try to get my hands on books on the recommended reading list, but have no clue as to whether I'm really cut out for the course or up to standard- it's all too easy to flatter yourself on being a critical thinker!
    Well you'll just have to find out. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manywaters)
    I recall reading somewhere that a candidate applying for Maths and Philosophy will automatically be considered for just Maths if he/she is rejected- Is this true?
    All M&P applicants are automatically written to (emailed I think) by the admissions office and told how to take up this option, should they wish.

ReputationRep:
    Is it the same for Maths & Stats applicants that if their rejected then they will get considered for Maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UFK)
    Is it the same for Maths & Stats applicants that if their rejected then they will get considered for Maths?
    No, it's just a maths & phil arrangement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    If you're lucky, you might end up with lots of silly questions about Alfie, Beth and Gemma trying on hats and what not but don't be too surprised if you get asked to discuss teapots or Plato.
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, sorry for the late response! Was busy wrestling with exams :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for all your help

ReputationRep:
    At the open day in Hertford College, we were told that at most colleges, you're in competition with mathematics applicants for the places, and you just have to show the philosophy interviewers that you're genuinely interested in philosophy. The philosopher at Hertford said that if the mathematicians liked you and you had a genuine interest in philosophy, he's very likely to accept you. Seemed to think it would be similar at other colleges that are keen to get M&P students.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.